Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

People who don’t maintain speed on a motorway, speeding up and down constantly.

people who attempt to undertake because you’re going slow, only to discover everyone’s going slow as there is traffic and then preceding to be grumpy because you won’t let them in.

People who speed, okay, going 75 to get you out of a tight spot is not too bad but driving over 80 is selfish and abhorrent. Particularly when it’s wet and when they don’t leave adequate space. 

people who go up your backside for ages and then decide to overtake just as a merge is coming up. 

so many crazy people on the roads today. 

What gets me is crossing all lanes behind a middle lane hogger, or someone sitting in lane 3 of 4, and then crossing back across all the lanes again right in front of them and they still just sit there doing 60 either oblivious, ignorant or uncaring about what they're doing.

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

What gets me is crossing all lanes behind a middle lane hogger, or someone sitting in lane 3 of 4, and then crossing back across all the lanes again right in front of them and they still just sit there doing 60 either oblivious, ignorant or uncaring about what they're doing.

Oh yeah definitely. I don’t mind too much if there clearly going to need to overtake soon and it’s not worth going back across but when they’re just sat there it’s infuriating 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I do this in an attempt to make a point. Never seems to work. These drivers are just completely oblivious. I reckon they get in their car and just steer the car to wherever want to get to and then get out and then have no memory of their journey.

• Haha 2

Every day on my commute to work, a mere two miles, I will see at least one car run a red light. Every day might be an exaggeration, but if so it's a very small one.

Also, people using the middle lane to turn right at a roundabout if there's a bit of a queue formed up. Unbelievable!

14 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I think they might just be scared of changing lanes. So they don't stay where they should, in the left lane, because they'd keep having to go in and out overtaking slower lorries - they just get into a middle lane asap and then stay there.

I have (eventually) realised there is no point in getting irritated by other drivers though. If I get annoyed I'm more likely to do something stupid. So I try not to react negatively. I probably manage it about 90% of the time now, and it makes for a much less stressful drive!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

I think they might just be scared of changing lanes. So they don't stay where they should, in the left lane, because they'd keep having to go in and out overtaking slower lorries - they just get into a middle lane asap and then stay there.

I have (eventually) realised there is no point in getting irritated by other drivers though. If I get annoyed I'm more likely to do something stupid. So I try not to react negatively. I probably manage it about 90% of the time now, and it makes for a much less stressful drive!

Totally agree :thumbup:

I think it's a much better way of approaching things. To go off on a tangent, I popped into my local big Tesco on Thursday morning to pick up our final Christmas bits. The car park was completely rammed, I had to go hunting for a trolley, the store was heaving with everyone getting in each other's way which also meant there was a lot of staff rushing about restocking shelves and I was in there for over two hours. But just refusing to become stressed by it and by deliberately going when I knew I wasn't rushed for time just made the experience a whole lot more bearable. Taking a similar approach on the roads is definitely healthier and safer for all involved.

Also, yes, I think you're right about middle lane hoggers being scared of having to change lanes regularly. Maybe they had one too many close shaves in the past. Perhaps they also just don't realise the potential danger and inconvenience they can cause as a result: cars undertaking them, stressful and angry drivers, and simply causing a backlog in the outside lanes when the inside lanes are completely clear (which I've seen many times). It definitely is a bugbear of mine but I do try not to become too stressed by it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2022 at 23:07, Trav Le Bleu said:

Also, people using the middle lane to turn right at a roundabout if there's a bit of a queue formed up. Unbelievable!

Roundabout. Queue for straight on (left lane). Right lane is right turn only and empty.

Is a Lap of Honour acceptable? 

Not a single space in the hospital car park today - so a genius goes to park his car in the space in front of the barrier to the staff car park. Got out, walk past, saw me laughing at him, looked at his car, returned and drove off again.

You have to wonder about people like that - are they even safe to dress themselves?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Daggers said:

Not a single space in the hospital car park today - so a genius goes to park his car in the space in front of the barrier to the staff car park. Got out, walk past, saw me laughing at him, looked at his car, returned and drove off again.

You have to wonder about people like that - are they even safe to dress themselves?

Awareness of surroundings/hazard awareness etc. 

Had a belter of one today. Lorry stopped my side of the road unloading. I have to force my way out due to the road/traffic conditions.

Waited for gap in oncoming traffic to allow oncoming vehicle enough time to recognise the situation and slow down. If I was the oncoming vehicle, I would slow down to let vehicles out (common sense/courtesy when driving).

Oncoming 4x4 decided to play chicken. I was having none of it. Cars behind me following me as well. Ended up with me squeezing through, 4x4 conintuing and having a stationary standoff with the vehicles behind me.

22 hours ago, adam1 said:

Roundabout. Queue for straight on (left lane). Right lane is right turn only and empty.

I've done that I think twice in about 10 years lol

Last one was so I could make it for kick-off for England vs USA so I think the joke was on me in the end.

• Haha 1

Woman on the corner always parks on the corner. It’s imbecilic enough, but this morning someone had already parked opposite her house - on the bloody corner. So she parks outside her house as normal, effectively blocking the road. Genius. Pure genius. 

22 hours ago, adam1 said:

I can't imagine a single reason why you wouldn't.

Usually the left lane is blocked by cars struggling to turn left, im not politely sitting in that when im not going that way!

30 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Woman on the corner always parks on the corner. It’s imbecilic enough, but this morning someone had already parked opposite her house - on the bloody corner. So she parks outside her house as normal, effectively blocking the road. Genius. Pure genius. 

New estates are absolutely rife with that sort of behaviour. Does my head in when I'm visiting people, having to weave in out of cars, occasionally mount the pavement to get past and then squeeze between two cars.

The roads should be a lot wider in fairness.

Edited by ALC Fox

3 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

New estates are absolutely rife with that sort of behaviour. Does my head in when I'm visiting people, having to weave in out of cars, occasionally mount the pavement to get past and then squeeze between two cars.

The roads should be a lot wider in fairness.

She has a drive and garage around the back.

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

Highway Code says you can't park within 10 metres of a corner or junction. So many of these relatively minor infringements show how ignorant, stupid or just inconsiderate these people are. Once they've passed their test, they think they can do what the **** the like without a thought for other road users, including pedestrians.

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

She has a drive and garage around the back.

This is another gripe of mine regarding parking on the road. So many in my area have drives or spaces to park on but can't be arsed to put their car off the road. So they're half on the path or parked close to another car on the opposite side of the road making a narrow gap to get through.

28 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Highway Code says you can't park within 10 metres of a corner or junction. So many of these relatively minor infringements show how ignorant, stupid or just inconsiderate these people are. Once they've passed their test, they think they can do what the **** the like without a thought for other road users, including pedestrians.

No chance of an ambulance or fire engine getting down to the bottom end of the village. It’s spectacularly ignorant and selfish. 

On 23/12/2022 at 19:28, Parafox said:

I do this in an attempt to make a point. Never seems to work. These drivers are just completely oblivious. I reckon they get in their car and just steer the car to wherever want to get to and then get out and then have no memory of their journey.

When you pass a middle lane driver, notice they have their eyes fixed forward, completely unaware of anything else on the road. I don’t understand how they manage in life, never mind just on the roads. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

When you pass a middle lane driver, notice they have their eyes fixed forward, completely unaware of anything else on the road. I don’t understand how they manage in life, never mind just on the roads. 

Often gripping the steering wheel for dear life.To them it’s the easiest and safest way to do Motorway driving.Minimal thinking or effort required.I bet most middle lane drivers don’t want to be on the motorway in the first place.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Often gripping the steering wheel for dear life.To them it’s the easiest and safest way to do Motorway driving.Minimal thinking or effort required.I bet most middle lane drivers don’t want to be on the motorway in the first place.

I left the steering while gripping out… but yes. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Any taxi drivers  (ubers included) on here? 

Because I have two questions. Do you know how to drive? And if you incorrectly answer yes to the first question, why do you all have to drive like inconsiderate bell ends?

Time and time again, taxi drivers being complete nuisances.

Today, one (private car jobby) joins a 70mph dual carriageway at 30mph. That puts me, and another vehicle between me and the taxi in a potentially dangerous situation. 

Did they accelerate afterwards? Prob not, i easily overtook at 50, so prob doing about 40....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1