Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

1 minute ago, adam1 said:

Any taxi drivers  (ubers included) on here? 

Because I have two questions. Do you know how to drive? And if you incorrectly answer yes to the first question, why do you all have to drive like inconsiderate bell ends?

Time and time again, taxi drivers being complete nuisances.

Today, one (private car jobby) joins a 70mph dual carriageway at 30mph. That puts me, and another vehicle between me and the taxi in a potentially dangerous situation. 

Did they accelerate afterwards? Prob not, i easily overtook at 50, so prob doing about 40....

I have a real dislike of taxi drivers. They drive every day for a living. Yet they still are, in the main, incompetents. 

Today one pulled out from a side road in front of me into a gap of, maybe a car's length, onto a 40mph main road forcing me to brake sharply then the twat didn't accelerate. He did this even though there was no traffic behind me to cause him a longer wait. Just ignorance and inconsideration.

I tend to think that taxi drivers either drive every day therefore think they must be really good and always right. Or they drive every day and become robotic and mindless.

The latter is more likely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

I have a real dislike of taxi drivers. They drive every day for a living. Yet they still are, in the main, incompetents. 

Today one pulled out from a side road in front of me into a gap of, maybe a car's length, onto a 40mph main road forcing me to brake sharply then the twat didn't accelerate. He did this even though there was no traffic behind me to cause him a longer wait. Just ignorance and inconsideration.

I tend to think that taxi drivers either drive every day therefore think they must be really good and always right. Or they drive every day and become robotic and mindless.

The latter is more likely. 

They also just randomly stop without indicating so no one knows what they are about to do.

I don't know what it is with them. Is it a requirement for a Wolverhampton licence to drive like an inconsiderate d1ck?

• Haha 1

Not so much annoyed as worried for a woman who drops/picks up her kid at the primary school we back onto who seems to have the road sense of a 2 year old.

She walked out in front of me when I was driving home the other day - no massive danger, it's a 20 limit which I always stick to, and we all have lapses in concentration, don't we? 2 days later, in exactly the same place I clock her and slow right down as I can see she's on the phone again and not looking where she's going. Same again, walks out in front of me without looking and it's a good job I'd slowed down because it was the last second she chose to cross.

This morning, driving up Hinckley Road, probably about 25 mph and the car in front brakes suddenly as who should have walked out from in between stationary queue of cars coming in the opposite direction, again without looking, again having an apparently very in depth telephone conversation, our friend from before, coincidentally yards from the spot where an old guy was ran over and killed by a speeding driver a couple of years back.

That's 3 times in a week I've seen the same person walk out into traffic. I'm a bit perplexed as to why this is happening and what to do about it

22 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Not so much annoyed as worried for a woman who drops/picks up her kid at the primary school we back onto who seems to have the road sense of a 2 year old.

She walked out in front of me when I was driving home the other day - no massive danger, it's a 20 limit which I always stick to, and we all have lapses in concentration, don't we? 2 days later, in exactly the same place I clock her and slow right down as I can see she's on the phone again and not looking where she's going. Same again, walks out in front of me without looking and it's a good job I'd slowed down because it was the last second she chose to cross.

This morning, driving up Hinckley Road, probably about 25 mph and the car in front brakes suddenly as who should have walked out from in between stationary queue of cars coming in the opposite direction, again without looking, again having an apparently very in depth telephone conversation, our friend from before, coincidentally yards from the spot where an old guy was ran over and killed by a speeding driver a couple of years back.

That's 3 times in a week I've seen the same person walk out into traffic. I'm a bit perplexed as to why this is happening and what to do about it

Someone really does not care about themselves. 

20 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Someone really does not care about themselves. 

Do you know what I thought? They've moved from somewhere recently where there isn't much motor traffic.

We can all be a bit careless on quiet residential streets but this morning it was stepping into rush hour traffic on one of the main roads in and out of the city. It was a bit odd 

51 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Do you know what I thought? They've moved from somewhere recently where there isn't much motor traffic.

We can all be a bit careless on quiet residential streets but this morning it was stepping into rush hour traffic on one of the main roads in and out of the city. It was a bit odd 

Could well be, however some people have an absolute death wish. 

Learner drivers in rush hour! I mean the ones that it's probably their first lesson or at least their first one on the road. Think you should at least have 5/10 hours driving first. I understand people need to get used to traffic situations but come on, 5 MPH on 30/40 limits? It must be quite intimidating on their part too. The instructors have got to be a little bit more thoughtful. I had 3 learners around the same skill set on my 10mile journey home and the situations they caused was frightening! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It seems to me that more and more folk have the attitude that others should look out for their safety, to the exclusion of their own responsibilities.

I see it every day, usually with people 'lost' in their phones and totally oblivious to their surroundings and own safety.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

17 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

1. See if Hugh Grant is free

2. Contact Helen Bonham Carter’s agent

3. Film the next greatest British romcom

On 07/02/2023 at 12:44, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm a bit perplexed as to why this is happening and what to do about it

It's happening because she's:

A) stupid.

B), thick

C), Ignorant.

D) Ignorant, stupid AND thick.

Nothing you can do unless you can identify her and speak to the school, maybe.

Ignorance is bliss.

Until it kills you.

On 07/02/2023 at 12:44, Bellend Sebastian said:

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

It's happening because she's:

A) stupid.

B), thick

C), Ignorant.

D) Ignorant, stupid AND thick.

Nothing you can do unless you can identify her and speak to the school, maybe.

Ignorance is bliss.

Until it kills you.

All of what Para said, and if she's a persistent offender, due to what Para has said. It won't be an issue for much longer!

On 07/02/2023 at 17:01, SeCrEt FoX said:

Learner drivers in rush hour! I mean the ones that it's probably their first lesson or at least their first one on the road. Think you should at least have 5/10 hours driving first. I understand people need to get used to traffic situations but come on, 5 MPH on 30/40 limits? It must be quite intimidating on their part too. The instructors have got to be a little bit more thoughtful. I had 3 learners around the same skill set on my 10mile journey home and the situations they caused was frightening! 

My first lesson the instructor asked me what the speed limit was...  safe to say i was 5mph over! Then I proceeded to emergency brake 100 yards from a junction about 30seconds later.🤣

Not sure if this is an age based thing or really happening. I feel like there is less and less consideration and awareness on where people park 

I live near a shop on the corner of a busy main road and constantly see people pull up and park immediately on the corner turn. Invisible to anyone who wants tow turn until last minute. Same with parking both sides of a narrow road with no thought for access for other cars or emergency vehicles 

Two old favourites yesterday, closely related. 

On a quick country A road, heading for Manchester, two cars in front of me, decent stretch ahead with nothing coming but eyes on a bend about 500 yards ahead. I signalled and passed the first car when a car appeared up ahead, so of course I signalled to pull in, only to find the car I had passed was closing the gap in some weird act of offence taken. Fortunately she wasn't totally batshit and allowed me in.

This was topped on the way home, however, by someone who, when I signalled and moved alongside them, clearly felt it was a dick waving contest and matched my speed all the way up a long stretch. It might well have been wiser to just let them be an egotistical lunatic, but I wasn't doing anything wrong, and everything they did from then on (they eventually relented, but not before time) indicated that they were very angry that I dare even consider overtaking them. 

In both instances, I imagine they held a (in their minds) moral position that I was doing something dangerous, so I ponder the 'logic' of making the situation EVEN MORE DANGEROUS by reacting this way. I must emphasise that my decisions to overtake were safe & legal, even if less confident drivers might not consider them.

Taking the emotion out of it, because I have become good at letting this sort of thing go quite quickly, I'd be interested to know what others think about these sorts of people - that seem to get very offended and affronted by a legal overtaking manoeuvre.

@lcfc278 thanks for your response - have to edit and post here because I have an unexplained restriction for reasons only one person knows. I accept I might have been over-optimistic on the first manoeuvre, but I wasn't asking your opinion on that - correct though it may well be :) 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

On a quick country A road, heading for Manchester, two cars in front of me, decent stretch ahead with nothing coming but eyes on a bend about 500 yards ahead. I signalled and passed the first car when a car appeared up ahead, so of course I signalled to pull in, only to find the car I had passed was closing the gap in some weird act of offence taken. Fortunately she wasn't totally batshit and allowed me in.

This was topped on the way home, however, by someone who, when I signalled and moved alongside them, clearly felt it was a dick waving contest and matched my speed all the way up a long stretch. It might well have been wiser to just let them be an egotistical lunatic, but I wasn't doing anything wrong, and everything they did from then on (they eventually relented, but not before time) indicated that they were very angry that I dare even consider overtaking them. 

In both instances, I imagine they held a (in their minds) moral position that I was doing something dangerous, so I ponder the 'logic' of making the situation EVEN MORE DANGEROUS by reacting this way. I must emphasise that my decisions to overtake were safe & legal, even if less confident drivers might not consider them.

Taking the emotion out of it, because I have become good at letting this sort of thing go quite quickly, I'd be interested to know what others think about these sorts of people - that seem to get very offended and affronted by a legal overtaking manoeuvre.

I'd say for your second incident you're probably right the bloke/woman sounds like they have an issue when being overtaken, some people see it as bullish if they're overtaken whilst obeying the speed limit, unless they were going slow and then they sped up in reaction to your overtake, which on their part is weird.

For your first point though, although you say your overtake was legal I'd question whether it was safe, with a bend coming up 500 yards ahead on a country road where you're driving I'm guessing at least 50mph, maybe more, that would give you around 10 seconds to overtake, without knowing what's coming up ahead so I'd say you were probably in the wrong to overtake here, regardless if legal or not was it really worth the extra 2/3 seconds you might gain? Either way the other driver shouldn't have tried to stop you overtaking. She probably thought you were stupid to do it so close to a bend and wanted to teach you a lesson by only letting you in at the last second. All assumptions btw.

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

@lcfc278 thanks for your response - have to edit and post here because I have an unexplained restriction for reasons only one person knows. I accept I might have been over-optimistic on the first manoeuvre, but I wasn't asking your opinion on that - correct though it may well be :) 

Google "tips on driving defensively".

It might help. 

I'm not saying your in the wrong at all, BTW. Just that it might. 

Edited by Parafox

8 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

I'd say for your second incident you're probably right the bloke/woman sounds like they have an issue when being overtaken, some people see it as bullish if they're overtaken whilst obeying the speed limit, unless they were going slow and then they sped up in reaction to your overtake, which on their part is weird.

For your first point though, although you say your overtake was legal I'd question whether it was safe, with a bend coming up 500 yards ahead on a country road where you're driving I'm guessing at least 50mph, maybe more, that would give you around 10 seconds to overtake, without knowing what's coming up ahead so I'd say you were probably in the wrong to overtake here, regardless if legal or not was it really worth the extra 2/3 seconds you might gain? Either way the other driver shouldn't have tried to stop you overtaking. She probably thought you were stupid to do it so close to a bend and wanted to teach you a lesson by only letting you in at the last second. All assumptions btw.

I was about to post pretty much this.

Defensive driving is key to avoiding accidents and @HighPeakFox may well have misjudged the situation. IMO wait, wait, wait. Safe to go, then OK.

If you can't see at least 100 metres clear straight road ahead of you, hang back. It's not that inconvenient is it? 

Unfortunately you will always get dicks trying to overtake when it's unsafe

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

No stereotype is truer to life than that of BMW drivers not using indicators.

I remember when BMW's had a radio as an optional extra. Now radio's are fitted as standard it seems they have sacrificed indicators.

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

I was about to post pretty much this.

Defensive driving is key to avoiding accidents and @HighPeakFox may well have misjudged the situation. IMO wait, wait, wait. Safe to go, then OK.

If you can't see at least 100 metres clear straight road ahead of you, hang back. It's not that inconvenient is it? 

Unfortunately you will always get dicks trying to overtake when it's unsafe

I take your comments on the kind spirit intended, however I wasn't seeking advice :)

I've been driving a long time and agree with the principle though. 

This will sit well: Every single car and van driver - you bunch of dozy blind cvnts.

In my world everyone has their driving licence revoked, you have to spend a year on a motorcycle, and then take a new test to get your licence back.

If it wasn't for me anticipating your ridiculously woeful driving and observation skills I'd have been under the wheels or embedded in the side of one of three vehicles today. The lot of you can get to fvck.

21 hours ago, Parafox said:

Google "tips on driving defensively".

It might help. 

I'm not saying your in the wrong at all, BTW. Just that it might. 

Not sure whether it classes as defensive driving or not, but as I’ve had more experience as a driver I feel like I’ve started to gain some foresight. For instance, getting a subconscious thought - perhaps based on the angle of the car in front or something - of “they’re going to [enter stupid thing] here, aren’t they? Oh look, they have”, but giving them space to do that stupid thing so that nobody gets hurt from it. I don’t consider myself a slow driver by any means but I do like to try to manage a situation in traffic, easing off to make sure people have space for stupidity.

What I often notice when travelling in friends’ cars though is how close they drive to the car in front. I genuinely don’t get it. Maybe I naturally leave a bigger gap than others, I don’t know. But it wouldn’t be the first time I’d be pressing on imaginary brakes in the passenger seat.

• Like 1