Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

People who ignore double white lines. Driving from Cainryan last night, on the A75, which is a very winding, undulating road. A pillock in a pick up, overtook us and the car in front of us on the brow of a hill. Said pillock then proceeded to overtake a lorry on a bend. All ignoring double white lines, in the dark. How idiotic can you be?!

On 02/03/2023 at 09:19, Daggers said:

All you’re proving to me is that you are just the drivers I’m referring to who have limited ability to cope in traffic, because amazingly I have no issue spotting filtering bikes when driving - even giving them more room so they can pass me more safely. It’s clear who the dickheads here are 😆

ok.... so when a motorcycle undertakes you going way past the speed limit that's the drivers fault? happens far too often. Again, most people on a motorbike i see go at excess speeds often breaking the speed limit 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonnyBoy said:

ok.... so when a motorcycle undertakes you going way past the speed limit that's the drivers fault? happens far too often. Again, most people on a motorbike i see go at excess speeds often breaking the speed limit 

lol Ridiculous.

On 03/03/2023 at 17:04, FoyleFox said:

People who ignore double white lines. Driving from Cainryan last night, on the A75, which is a very winding, undulating road. A pillock in a pick up, overtook us and the car in front of us on the brow of a hill. Said pillock then proceeded to overtake a lorry on a bend. All ignoring double white lines, in the dark. How idiotic can you be?!

Very. Until you're a dead idiot.

On 04/03/2023 at 13:54, JonnyBoy said:

There is undeniably, this issue. But you can say exactly the same for car drivers. There are idiots, inexperienced, arrogant and stupid people on both sides of this.

It will ever be so.

• Like 2

On 04/03/2023 at 16:02, The Bear said:

I agree with him. 90% of the motor bikes I see are dangerous, weaving in and out of or around traffic, or flying down roads faster than they should be. 

So... you see 100 motorcyclists on the road in any given moment and 90 of them are riding dangerously?

Rubbish.

11 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Very. Until you're a dead idiot.

The problem is, though, the innocent party in the other car being the injured or dead one, rather than the idiot making the manoeuvre. Which is exactly why my mate has had limbs amputated and is paralysed.

And that only doesn't read dead due to the fabulous Air Ambulance crew picking up a call 10 minutes prior to their shift starting.

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The problem is, though, the innocent party in the other car being the injured or dead one, rather than the idiot making the manoeuvre. Which is exactly why my mate has had limbs amputated and is paralysed.

And that only doesn't read dead due to the fabulous Air Ambulance crew picking up a call 10 minutes prior to their shift starting.

I've worked alongside these guys. They are amazing.

I've once been involved in direct cardiac massage where the doctor is actually manually squeezing the heart through an open chest cavity.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

All the emergency services are amazing, in my opinion.

We watched the last series of Emergency Helicopter Medics (due to my mate's accident being included) and were in awe. It's appalling, it's a charity funded operation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

All the emergency services are amazing, in my opinion.

We watched the last series of Emergency Helicopter Medics (due to my mate's accident being included) and were in awe. It's appalling, it's a charity funded operation.

It shouldn't be but it is.

It's a very expensive resource and the gov won't commit to it financially. 

I now work as a volunteer for the Air Ambulance charity and the money they get is quite astonishing.

No wonder the gov won't fund it. 

£53,000,000 last year. Take out of that the costs of maintenance and fuel of every aircraft and the kit and training and ancillaries involved and there's still a tidy amount left over. The problem is, as with all charities, the income is not guaranteed. 

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

So... you see 100 motorcyclists on the road in any given moment and 90 of them are riding dangerously?

Rubbish.

What a bizarre comment. 

Why would any one see 100 motorbikes on the road at the same time? 

If I see 10 bikes over the course of the week driving past my house or when I'm out driving, then 9 out of 10 of them are going too fast yes. 

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

What a bizarre comment. 

Why would any one see 100 motorbikes on the road at the same time? 

If I see 10 bikes over the course of the week driving past my house or when I'm out driving, then 9 out of 10 of them are going too fast yes. 

You said 90 percent of motorcyclists you see are going too fast. That in itself is a bizarre comment. Do you count the number of motorcyclists you see and then evaluate those going too fast? 

Of course not.

You made a sweeping, unsubstantiated comment.

And you're wrong.

8 hours ago, Parafox said:

You said 90 percent of motorcyclists you see are going too fast. That in itself is a bizarre comment. Do you count the number of motorcyclists you see and then evaluate those going too fast? 

Of course not.

And you're wrong.

Maybe the %'s are off but as a throw away comment the majority of people that ride a Motorbike either speed or drive dangerously, the majority being greater than 50%.

Everytime I come into contact with a bike they are either driving up your arse waiting to get past or flying past on an A road between traffic. Only bike enthusiasts will tell you the opposite. Yes there will be the exception that drive sensibly and in the same breath there are idiots that drive cars too, but the key difference being the proportion of idiots driving cars are much less than bikes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Parafox said:

Of course not.

And you're wrong.

Not to mention the volume of riders who complete training courses with the police or on advanced programmes of study.

One only needs to look at bike sales to understand the make up of the riding population:

• 5 out of the top 10 sales are 125cc or less scooters - no one is breaking lane speed records on those
  • 2 are versions of the old man BMW R1250GS - ridden slowly to a cafe on Sundays or broken down by the side of the road
  • And the final three are Royal Enfields, of which two struggle to go over 50mph and the third maxes out by 80 and is asthmatic over 70

That there is the majority of people riding on the road right now.

90% are riding fast and dangerously? Fvcking laughable lol

My experience of motorcycles is to try to give them room and let them overtake if at all possible. I wouldn’t want to put numbers or percentages on it, but way too many hover close to your back right wheel and become a distraction because you never know whether they’re going to do something idiotic - and some do.

That’s not to say they aren’t good riders 99% of the time, but I feel painfully aware in the presence of motorcycles that you’re one wrong move or one joint misjudgement away from killing someone.

Granted, the statement “I find I give them more room than they give me” could just as easily be applied to car drivers. But at least with them there’s not usually quite so much threat of weaving through gaps and imminent death.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

My experience of motorcycles is to try to give them room and let them overtake if at all possible. I wouldn’t want to put numbers or percentages on it, but way too many hover close to your back right wheel and become a distraction because you never know whether they’re going to do something idiotic - and some do.

That’s not to say they aren’t good riders 99% of the time, but I feel painfully aware in the presence of motorcycles that you’re one wrong move or one joint misjudgement away from killing someone.

Granted, the statement “I find I give them more room than they give me” could just as easily be applied to car drivers. But at least with them there’s not usually quite so much threat of weaving through gaps and imminent death.

I agree, when it comes to motorcycles I'm hyper aware of them. If there are any motorcycles around me I'm silently urging them to just hurry up and whizz past me so I can relax again.

I do know someone who was in his car and had a collision with a motorcycle and the guy riding the bike lost his life. It was just a tragic accident but the car driver was messed up for a good while after.

Edited by Captain...

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Maybe the %'s are off but as a throw away comment the majority of people that ride a Motorbike either speed or drive dangerously, the majority being greater than 50%.

Everytime I come into contact with a bike they are either driving up your arse waiting to get past or flying past on an A road between traffic. Only bike enthusiasts will tell you the opposite. Yes there will be the exception that drive sensibly and in the same breath there are idiots that drive cars too, but the key difference being the proportion of idiots driving cars are much less than bikes. 

Bizarre. Most motorcycles have sufficient torque and power to overtake safely without the need to tail gate - and if they don't, then they are most unlikely to be up your arse unless the trafiic is very slow moving. I find that those awful plastic scooters are often the worse for that. Like mosquitos they appear from nowhere and buzz around your vicinity in a highly irritating manner. Difference is, you can't swat them away - as much as you want to

On 02/03/2023 at 04:53, Jon the Hat said:

Filtering sensibly is fine, but there are plenty of riders who are weaving in and out at high speeds through traffic which is moving at say 40mph.  

My motorcycle is so absurdly loud that when I lane split or filter it's like the parting of the Red Sea. 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

No. I said 90% of them that I SEE, and riding fast OR dangerously. 

I don't see a huge amount and live in a smallish village/town. 

Squadrons of crotch rocket sports bike jockeys tend to be the worst offenders. Fortunately, sales are in decline. Although I I used to take my old R1 to the track for kicks - I was occasionally guilty on public roads of riding at excessive speeds, but never in built up areas and only when I wasn't placing anyone else in jeopardy. Most road users and pedestrians get pissed at me now because of the 110dB exhaust which sounds like an artillery barrage on the overrun even at 20mph. 

The number of drivers that absent-mindedly trundle along in middle and right lanes is utterly bizarre. 

It's almost at the point that you wouldn't know which is the default driving lane on some routes. 

And they look at you gone out when you gesture left as you pass them.

I can't even pin it on one or two demographics. Everyone's at it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Annoy might be an understatement, but drunk drivers. Got t boned late on Saturday night turning right from burleys way onto St Margaret's at about 40mph as a guy who blew well over the limit ran a red light... suffice to say I'm counting myself lucky, and I hope anyone who drives over the limit grows a conscience at some point 

IMG-20230319-WA0006.jpg

Snapchat-387689833.jpg

Edited by JR99
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, JR99 said:

Annoy might be an understatement, but drunk drivers. Got t boned late on Saturday night turning right from burleys way onto St Margaret's at about 40mph as a guy who blew well over the limit ran a red light... suffice to say I'm counting myself lucky, and I hope anyone who drives over the limit grows a conscience at some point 

Ooof, glad you are OK. How did he manage to do both sides of your car? or did you get cloncked into somebody else?

1 hour ago, abc said:

Ooof, glad you are OK. How did he manage to do both sides of your car? or did you get cloncked into somebody else?

He smashed into passenger side and knocked me into the pedestrian crossing/traffic lights and back into the road.

Now been told he's been charged with: 

- theft of a motor vehicle

- driving over the limit 

- driving with no insurance 

- driving while disqualified