Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

1 minute ago, JR99 said:

He smashed into passenger side and knocked me into the pedestrian crossing/traffic lights and back into the road.

Now been told he's been charged with: 

- theft of a motor vehicle

- driving over the limit 

- driving with no insurance 

- driving while disqualified

I don't think he could of broke the law more if he tried. Glad you're OK

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

This sounds dreadful for you fella - where does it leave you insurance-wise?

Cars a total loss, copart are collecting tomorrow and should receive a valuation from there. Annoyingly as he's uninsured I don't get a courtesy car as costs are unrefundable, got a doctors assessment this week too as unsurprisingly I'm feeling pretty worse for wear 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, JR99 said:

Cars a total loss, copart are collecting tomorrow and should receive a valuation from there. Annoyingly as he's uninsured I don't get a courtesy car as costs are unrefundable, got a doctors assessment this week too as unsurprisingly I'm feeling pretty worse for wear 

Not surprised. It could've been worse in a less sturdy vehicle.

Just a point of personal interest, I note an ambulance response car in the background. Were you assessed on scene by paramedics?

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Not surprised. It could've been worse in a less sturdy vehicle.

Just a point of personal interest, I note an ambulance response car in the background. Were you assessed on scene by paramedics?

I wasn't no, which did somewhat surprise me as both the witnesses and my dad, who came out to collect me, commented on the fact I did seem shaken up and a bit everywhere

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, JR99 said:

I wasn't no, which did somewhat surprise me as both the witnesses and my dad, who came out to collect me, commented on the fact I did seem shaken up and a bit everywhere

Where they on scene? Did they actually attend or did the response para decide not to ask for back-up? 

I'd be very, very surprised (and ashamed) if you weren't assessed on scene once an ambulance response had attended. Even if it was the responder and not a full crew, there should have been a proper assessment.

I've been solo responder to traffic collisions many times and I always did an immediate clinical assessment of the casualties before a crewed ambulance arrived, which is a basic requirement of triage on scene. It's fundamental to their training. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

Where they on scene? Did they actually attend or did the response para decide not to ask for back-up? 

I'd be very, very surprised (and ashamed) if you weren't assessed on scene once an ambulance response had attended. Even if it was the responder and not a full crew, there should have been a proper assessment.

I've been solo responder to traffic collisions many times and I always did an immediate clinical assessment of the casualties before a crewed ambulance arrived, which is a basic requirement of triage on scene. It's fundamental to their training. 

Only the response paramedic attended, nothing else further than that. I wasn't thinking particularly straight at the time to be perfectly honest, I was extremely shaken up and a mix of gutted it had happened with pure anger at the cretin who did it.

Only assessment I've had is through my private health care at work, as I regularly drive vehicles at 130+ mph and my fitness for work needed to be assessed. Only advice I received was take some paracetamol and ibuprofen at home from one of the police officers after going through formalities and breathalyzing me at the road side

An exciting first today. On the M6 southbound, in the middle lane very slowly (it's very busy) overtaking an articulated lorry in the inside lane, and a transit type van appears from nowhere and overtakes us both by squeezing between the gap between me and the lorry, which you wouldn't think would be big enough. He was going like the clappers and I didn't see him, although I think the lorry probably swerved a bit to make the gap bigger.

He then cuts across me before weaving in and out of the traffic at high speed across all three lanes, swerving all over the shop in a proper Police, Camera, Action way. Definitely in my top three ever of awful driving I've witnessed first hand. The weird thing was, within a few seconds of this he stopped driving like a **** and just started driving normally, same speed as everyone else, proper signalling and everything.

What was that about?

On 20/03/2023 at 02:42, JR99 said:

Annoy might be an understatement, but drunk drivers. Got t boned late on Saturday night turning right from burleys way onto St Margaret's at about 40mph as a guy who blew well over the limit ran a red light... suffice to say I'm counting myself lucky, and I hope anyone who drives over the limit grows a conscience at some point 

IMG-20230319-WA0006.jpg

Snapchat-387689833.jpg

Follow up to this with some more positive news, I'll be back on the roads finding more things to annoy me everyday after Copart wrote the car off (CAT B) and insurance paid out a pretty good amount, only about 400 short of what I would want as a best case.

Off to Manchester on Saturday to hopefully pick up a nice tidy new to me c class and a 2 hour journey of complaining about idiots in the 3rd lane of the M6 back 

• Like 2

I was about to pull out onto a main street of a village this morning. One driver looked quite annoyed at me and mouthed something to me as he felt like he had to swerve his car around mine (front bumper fractionally over the white lines to allow me to look right for traffic [when I am turning left] due to obstructed view). It would have helped if he knew what lane management was, namely staying in your lane and not driving on the opposite side of the road. Fcking imbecile.

If you have to stop because you are in the adjacent lane to a HGV at a junction and are both turning right (both lanes) - you shouldn't be driving if you are intimidared by being next to a large vehicle.

And yes I will express my grattitude to your idiocy by politely honking my horn to tell you to move your fcking car as I want to get through the lights.

2 hours ago, adam1 said:

If you have to stop because you are in the adjacent lane to a HGV at a junction and are both turning right (both lanes) - you shouldn't be driving if you are intimidared by being next to a large vehicle.

And yes I will express my grattitude to your idiocy by politely honking my horn to tell you to move your fcking car as I want to get through the lights.

In my experience of driving truck and trailer,  a driver who holds back and allows the truck to manoeuvre first get's my respect as they are allowing for the trailer narrowing the lane the car is in, as the trailer will  move across in the process of turning. Also from a truck drivers perspective, once the cab has moved over there is a complete blind spot in the mirrors 

Basic diagram FYI. :thumbup:

What is the correct way to make a right turn with a truck and trailer? -  Quora

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 04/04/2023 at 18:58, Parafox said:

In my experience of driving truck and trailer,  a driver who holds back and allows the truck to manoeuvre first get's my respect as they are allowing for the trailer narrowing the lane the car is in, as the trailer will  move across in the process of turning. Also from a truck drivers perspective, once the cab has moved over there is a complete blind spot in the mirrors 

Basic diagram FYI. :thumbup:

What is the correct way to make a right turn with a truck and trailer? -  Quora

Different situation, two adjacent lanes. See image. I've seen two lorries/bus etc side by side. This person was inept.

(P.s. junction of wembley road/ratby lane, hgvs appear to go ahead to turn right like your diagram. I have seen a few cars who were behind the hgv (not me!) not realising this and thinking they were going ahead have gone up the side of them 🙈)

Screenshot_20230406_210434_Maps.jpg

7 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Mobility scooters on the road, old dear was driving in the middle of the road on her little thing 

To drive them on the road they a registration number and insurance. I bet they don't have either.

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

E-scooters; too quiet, especially when you don't expect them until the user nearly hits you with one.

They shouldn't be used on the pavements because the danger of hitting a pedestrian and shouldn't be used on roads because there not safe enough. Its there own fault if they are injured or killed on the roads using one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

To drive them on the road they a registration number and insurance. I bet they don't have either.

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

E-scooters; too quiet, especially when you don't expect them until the user nearly hits you with one.

Similar issues with both - can cause dangers to pedestrians and can cause issues on the road. Nothing will be done about them obviously. 

Just needs common sense from anyone using them and things are generally fine. 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Shockingly this isn't true. 

You are correct and I'm also shocked.

From the .Gov website: You do not have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair if it’s registered as class 3.

You can only drive on the road in a class 3 mobility scooter. The maximum speed is 8mph.

However it doesn't mention insurance. I guess that's an individual choice, but  I'd be pretty ticked off if I got hit  by one of these and I was unable to claim.

10 hours ago, Parafox said:

You are correct and I'm also shocked.

From the .Gov website: You do not have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair if it’s registered as class 3.

You can only drive on the road in a class 3 mobility scooter. The maximum speed is 8mph.

However it doesn't mention insurance. I guess that's an individual choice, but  I'd be pretty ticked off if I got hit  by one of these and I was unable to claim.

Yes. Insurance is recommended but not a requirement. 

There's a local bloke who takes his dogs out on his motability scooter (trotting either side, not sitting in it!) and he drives up our one way street the wrong way in the middle of road! Round blind corners and everything even though there's cars parked all down one side so nowhere to go if someone comes right at him round a corner. Absolute loon. 

Edited by The Bear

Level 2 autonomous driving approved for (some) UK motorways.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65272929

It's sufficiently limited in its functionality to make you wonder, on one level, of whether it's worth bothering with, but if it works (which presumably it does) I suppose it's another step towards where we'll inevitably end up.

Edit: I'm not annoyed by this, just think it's interesting and this is the closest thing we have to a driving thread

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

20 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Level 2 autonomous driving approved for (some) UK motorways.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65272929

It's sufficiently limited in its functionality to make you wonder, on one level, of whether it's worth bothering with, but if it works (which presumably it does) I suppose it's another step towards where we'll inevitably end up.

Edit: I'm not annoyed by this, just think it's interesting and this is the closest thing we have to a driving thread

Absolutely nothing will go wrong with this. No sireee. Nothing at all. Everything will be fine.

7E4DFCA7-E56E-4FA1-994B-EDF5C7112DCA.jpeg.2d7de5f13b79e86d3e7bd2f4de91869a.jpeg