Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Absolutely nothing will go wrong with this. No sireee. Nothing at all. Everything will be fine.

7E4DFCA7-E56E-4FA1-994B-EDF5C7112DCA.jpeg.2d7de5f13b79e86d3e7bd2f4de91869a.jpeg

Yeah, I think full self driving mode has got a long way to go, but at least in the meantime it can bring us great stories like the one about that bloke who's Tesla slammed into a lorry while he was allegedly watching a Harry Potter film on his laptop

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah, I think full self driving mode has got a long way to go, but at least in the meantime it can bring us great stories like the one about that bloke who's Tesla slammed into a lorry while he was allegedly watching a Harry Potter film on his laptop

I too would attempt to make my car explode if it was showing me an HP film.

• Haha 1

Actually last Friday, Good Friday. We were heading down from Sheffield to Bakewell (with our baby in the back of the car). Car is coming on the wrong side of the wrong head on towards us, overtaking numerous cars on its own side. 

I saw it immediately and slowed off and had time to give them a blast of my horn as they were coming towards me for a few seconds and they managed to cut back in onto their side.

It annoys me as what is the process for people like this getting punished. When a crash happens it always seems to be the innocent party who is killed or seriously injured whereas the stains on society that cause it, always seem to walk away!!

1 minute ago, LCFCJohn said:

Actually last Friday, Good Friday. We were heading down from Sheffield to Bakewell (with our baby in the back of the car). Car is coming on the wrong side of the wrong head on towards us, overtaking numerous cars on its own side. 

I saw it immediately and slowed off and had time to give them a blast of my horn as they were coming towards me for a few seconds and they managed to cut back in onto their side.

It annoys me as what is the process for people like this getting punished. When a crash happens it always seems to be the innocent party who is killed or seriously injured whereas the stains on society that cause it, always seem to walk away!!

I doubt that is actually the case. Lots of terrible driving goes unpunished, unfortunately, be it the type you cite, people on their phone or someone occupying 3 lanes of the motorway.

By the way, why mention your baby being in the back of the car? I mean congratulations and all that, but aren't all lives equally valuable?

17 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I doubt that is actually the case. Lots of terrible driving goes unpunished, unfortunately, be it the type you cite, people on their phone or someone occupying 3 lanes of the motorway.

By the way, why mention your baby being in the back of the car? I mean congratulations and all that, but aren't all lives equally valuable?

Not even going to dignify this with saying any more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

My wife was waiting at some temporary traffic lights when some young women ploughed into the back of them.

Fortunately my wife and young daughter who was also in our car, were  physically ok, just shaken.

The collision wrote off our car and the car in front ours.

Few weeks later, a copper rang us regarding the accident. She said you will be pleased to hear we are not prosecuting you. The prat had rang us instead of the guilty party.

Doubly annoying. Calling us by mistake and the fact the driver of the car responsible got off scott free.

5 hours ago, Captain... said:

To be fair your comment was weird, bordering on downright rude.

It's not about all lives being equally valuable in the grand scheme of things, even ignoring the fact that to their parents a baby is the most precious thing in the world. Babies are a lot more vulnerable and a head on collision with a car carrying a baby would be a lot more serious. He was just highlighting the potentially disastrous consequences of this other driver driving like a dick.

I take your point, but don't agree. Nobody sane needs this pointing out. 

8 hours ago, Captain... said:

I don't get your point. Unless you have previous with this poster, it is a really weird thing to pick someone up on. He's setting the scene, the presence of a baby adds context to the danger and potential consequences of a serious collision, he's not exactly clutching his pearls and shouting "won't somebody think of my children". Obviously that has no bearing on the other driver's actions, but it does add to the fear and stress he would have felt in that situation. 

You've not picked up the next poster on mentioning his young daughter. It's just a very weird thing to take from a pretty normal post and not something I would expect from a poster who I wouldn't consider to be a WUM and is normally quite considered. Anyway just trying to add some explanation as you seemed offended by his initial post then confused by his fairly reasonable response. 

That's OK, you don't see my point. I'm not here to WuM so I won't dig any further. Can we leave it here? I'll accept I've misjudged my timing at the very least and not extend the point. It's clear though, that offence has been caused which was not my intention.

• Like 1

The Taxpayers' Alliance, a pressure group which campaigns for lower taxes, says there has been a massive increase in fines imposed on motorists by local authorities.

It made Freedom of Information requests to 41 councils in England and Scotland - 37 responded.

It found the value of fines issued inside LTNs had increased from £700,000 in the year 2019-20, to almost £70m in 2021-22.

ItS fOr ThE eNvIrOnMeNt :dry:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The Taxpayers' Alliance, a pressure group which campaigns for lower taxes, says there has been a massive increase in fines imposed on motorists by local authorities.

It made Freedom of Information requests to 41 councils in England and Scotland - 37 responded.

It found the value of fines issued inside LTNs had increased from £700,000 in the year 2019-20, to almost £70m in 2021-22.

ItS fOr ThE eNvIrOnMeNt :dry:

The TPA is just another flavour of far right libertarian cranks at Tufton St. There purpose is simple to add to the noise around any regulation to sow discontent in government so their paymasters can rob the nation blind in a regulation-free environment. They could claim today is Monday and I’d not believe them until checked with multiple sources. I’m yet to meet a single TPA employee who I’d not describe as slimy.

All that finding shows is that some drivers are either supremely stupid or arrogant. LTNs are even acknowledged by the TPA to offer a swathe of environmental benefits. It’s like when Thracian always used to be moaning about parking fines: walk, cycle, or just don’t break the regulation in your car. It’s that simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People who forget it's the weekend and avoid the bus lanes at the times it's legal to drive in them.

Not an annoyance per se, just find it funny. But also shows how much a lot of us are on autopilot when we drive or just completely miss certain signs.

A definite annoyance this one:

On the inside lane of the motorway, I'm approaching a car in front so prepare to overtake. I check my mirrors and blind spot, indicate, check again, then start to drift over, but I have to hesitate a little as a car from the outside lane starts coming into the middle lane exactly where I want to go. Where they indicating? Were they hell.

9 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

A definite annoyance this one:

On the inside lane of the motorway, I'm approaching a car in front so prepare to overtake. I check my mirrors and blind spot, indicate, check again, then start to drift over, but I have to hesitate a little as a car from the outside lane starts coming into the middle lane exactly where I want to go. Where they indicating? Were they hell.

A friend of mine is one of those or when he does indicate it's one flash then indicator is cancelled.

FWIW the ambulance driving instructor and then later, the HGV instructor who taught me class 1, instilled it into us that you leave your indicator on until you have completed the manoeuvre, which meant the whole vehicle being in the lane.

Other drivers need time to see and then react to your indicators.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2023 at 09:14, ALC Fox said:

People who forget it's the weekend and avoid the bus lanes at the times it's legal to drive in them.

Not an annoyance per se, just find it funny. But also shows how much a lot of us are on autopilot when we drive or just completely miss certain signs.

I try to use bus lanes outside of the active hours, but then find it also becomes de facto street parking for all the residents during those hours, too.

14 hours ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

I try to use bus lanes outside of the active hours, but then find it also becomes de facto street parking for all the residents during those hours, too.

Also some bus lanes are in operation all hours and have cameras. Unless i have clearly seen the sign I am staying in the normal lane.

Any idea what's happened on Welford Road? Aware the police have said serious RTC, got to get to the Royal for half 11 and trying to decide on the best place to park and just walk over. Sounds like Freemans Common will be a nightmare to get to, which would be the usual go to if hospital traffic is bad.