Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

8 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Any idea what's happened on Welford Road? Aware the police have said serious RTC, got to get to the Royal for half 11 and trying to decide on the best place to park and just walk over. Sounds like Freemans Common will be a nightmare to get to, which would be the usual go to if hospital traffic is bad.

Lad come off his bike early this morning, died now apparently. Bit late on this 1 so unfortunately can’t assist with parking on this occasion 

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I'm a newish driver, what are the unwritten rules of the road?

Funny and serious answers both welcome, and I probably wont be able to tell the difference either way.

For me, the unwritten rules of the road are the same as in life - treat other drivers as you wish to be treated…

Let people out at junctions

Keep your distance and don’t tail gate

Watch your speed in built up areas

Follow the rules and road signs 

Etc, etc.

Basically, don’t be a dick

The problem is there’s too many selfish drivers who don’t give a Fvck about anyone else on the road.

I used to enjoy driving but only do it out of necessity now. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Don’t drive in the middle lane on the motorway. Always indicate, always acknowledge anyone who waits or lets you through 

I agree with your second sentence.

The first is a WRITTEN rule.

Lane discipline (rules 264 to 266),

Rule 264

Keep in the left lane unless overtaking.

Don't stick your mobile phone on the windscreen in a place where it will obscure your view. Keep practising parallel parking.

Keep in mind other drivers are incompetent. Most aren't but it helps if you assume and take precautions and be aware. Always hover your right foot over the brake pedal and off the gas if your approaching a hazard or a vehicle emerging from a left hand junction in case they do something like pull out in front of you. This happens a lot.

A thing my blue light driver trainer drilled in was turn your head, don't just glance. If you're not sure, stop and look. Don't take chances. 

It's your vehicle. You've either paid in full or you've got an expensive loan to pay off. Wreck it and you'll never see that outlay paid back.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Funny and serious answers both welcome, and I probably wont be able to tell the difference either way.

Always indicate is the best advice. And keep your observation up. Behind, over your shoulder, etc. Never pull away/out without checking behind you properly. 

Oh and practice your parallel parking. One of the best skills to have as a lot of people struggle with it. I live down a one way street with parking only down one side, so have been doing it almost daily since day 1. Friends have often marvelled at my ability to get into a tight space (fnarr). 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

Sitting in a queue, fairly long queue, waiting for the traffic lights to change. Some div overtakes the whole queue, wrong side of the road, wrong side of the junction, jumps the red lights and turns left. Closely followed by 2 other divs doing the same. What the actual 😳 

4 hours ago, Nalis said:

Always give people space, especially if they piss you off.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nalis said:

Watch out for idiots on motorbikes

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nalis said:

If you use your horn, it must be accompanied by a hand gesture. 

• Haha 1

Not so much an annoyance. But the junction when you're turning right onto Narborough Road South towards Fosse park from Braunstone Lane. The amount of times I've witnessed cars nearly heading onto the wrong side of the carriageway is worrying.

2 hours ago, deejdeej said:

Not so much an annoyance. But the junction when you're turning right onto Narborough Road South towards Fosse park from Braunstone Lane. The amount of times I've witnessed cars nearly heading onto the wrong side of the carriageway is worrying.

I know someone who done that from Middleton Street right onto Narborough Road. They are out there! 

18 hours ago, Nalis said:

Anyone in a Range Rover has right of way 

• Haha 1