Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

22 hours ago, Nalis said:

I'm a newish driver, what are the unwritten rules of the road?

Funny and serious answers both welcome, and I probably wont be able to tell the difference either way.

Expect the unexpected! Never assume the other driver is going to act as sensibly as you would. 

People not using their indicators is the most common day to day issue and the BMW driver stereotype is completely real. 

Congrats on passing by the way. Having a car opens up so much in terms of convenience to go and explore places!

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Expect the unexpected! Never assume the other driver is going to act as sensibly as you would. 

People not using their indicators is the most common day to day issue and the BMW driver stereotype is completely real. 

Congrats on passing by the way. Having a car opens up so much in terms of convenience to go and explore places!

By this, do you mean dogging spots?

• Haha 1

From a personal POV. When you hear sirens/see blue lights, pull over at the most appropriate place. Don't just STOP right where you are. Emergency drivers will give you time to make your manoeuvre. And will appreciate the consideration and anticipation to allow room to pass. 

Again, from a PPOV. Don't try and mount kerbs or deviate into another queue if you're stuck in a queue at traffic lights. Just wait. These days emergency vehicles are required to turn off sirens if their stuck in queue, and wait for traffic lights to go green, because having them blaring causes anxiety and panic amongst other road users and creates greater problems like drivers wanting (understandably) to encroach over a red light, putting themselves at risk.

Even if other drivers are trying to move or think you're being thick. Don't be intimidated. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 3

On 27/04/2023 at 19:06, Nalis said:

I'm a newish driver, what are the unwritten rules of the road?

Funny and serious answers both welcome, and I probably wont be able to tell the difference either way.

"Checking the details of a second-hand car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, verify her year of origin. She may look like she rolled off the production line in 1990 but who's to say the fellow before you didn't give her a good spraying?"

download.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Motorway drivers.

Again. 

It's worse in the south. Nobody on the M25 knows how to drive. Genuinely, it's hideous.

I can drive in lane 1 and be faster than lane 3.

4 lane motorways are needed for sheer volume of traffic, but they're pointless because lorries are in lane 1, nobody is in lane 2. Lane 3 are the 70mph cruisers who wont move to lane 2. 

They need to realise they're the problem.

The M6, North of Birmingham is alright, people actually move out of your way.

And I detest people in the outside lane who slam on their brakes when they think a camera is about to catch them speeding. It's dangerous. 

Get out my way and let me cruise at 90. 

Am I right @Milolol

Edited by tom27111

Old people in little cars doing 30-40 on 60mph roads.

You’re almost dead anyway, live a little.

Young people and rich people doing 80 on 60 mph roads.

Don't make me drive at 40, I will if you approach my boot that quickly and remain inches from it.

• Haha 3

On 28/04/2023 at 20:34, HighPeakFox said:

If someone is desperate to overtake you, let them. It is no comment on your manhood.

Over the years I think ones ego lessens and you let things go.

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Motorway drivers.

Again. 

It's worse in the south. Nobody on the M25 knows how to drive. Genuinely, it's hideous.

4 lane motorways are needed for sheer volume of traffic, but they're pointless because lorries are in lane 1, nobody is in lane 2. Lane 3 are the 70mph cruisers who wont move to lane 2. 

And I detest people in the outside lane who slam on their brakes when they think a camera is about to catch them speeding. It's dangerous. 

Am I right @Milolol

Oh my fvckity THESE PEOPLE. Speeding along and then braking as they come up to the smart motorway cameras that are only in force WHEN THE LIMIT IS NOT NORMAL.

It genuinely stuns me how many people think when there's no alternative speed on the matrix signs they're active. No. Now stay at your speed or just stop speeding altogether. Jesus.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2023 at 20:34, HighPeakFox said:

If someone is desperate to overtake you, let them. It is no comment on your manhood.

12 hours ago, Raj said:

Over the years I think ones ego lessens and you let things go.

Over the years one realises it's better not to have the mad twats near you and let them go, as far away as possible. 

• Like 3

On 13/05/2023 at 14:18, Footballwipe said:

Oh my fvckity THESE PEOPLE. Speeding along and then braking as they come up to the smart motorway cameras that are only in force WHEN THE LIMIT IS NOT NORMAL.

It genuinely stuns me how many people think when there's no alternative speed on the matrix signs they're active. No. Now stay at your speed or just stop speeding altogether. Jesus.

I thought this was dependent on the police force as to whether the cameras are live at 70mph or not. 

I treat them as on regardless as there are no signs on the motorway which tell me as such

As for slowing down I will spot them in advance (spotter cameras a few humdred yards before the gantry read the matrix and inform the camera what the limit is) and and let go of the accelerator and time it to hit the camera at about 70mph without the need for braking.

Frequent runs on certain routes means I do remember where most are as well which helps.

Edited by adam1

On 13/05/2023 at 02:43, tom27111 said:

Motorway drivers.

Again. 

Am I right @Milolol

Whilst I agree that middle lane jiggers should do one, what reason would you have to be overtaking someone driving at 70mph? Wouldn’t that make you the problem? 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Whilst I agree that middle lane jiggers should do one, what reason would you have to be overtaking someone driving at 70mph? Wouldn’t that make you the problem? 

As well as breaking the law. Not that police will do anything. 

It used to amuse me greatly when driving the marked up ambulance car on a motorway at 70mph, by the number of drivers that would assume it was a police car and slow down and not overtake me.

I used to build up quite a following. lol

Oh, the power. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Parafox said:

As well as breaking the law. Not that police will do anything. 

It used to amuse me greatly when driving the marked up ambulance car on a motorway at 70mph, by the number of drivers that would assume it was a police car and slow down and not overtake me.

I used to build up quite a following. lol

Oh, the power. 

My brother in law was a motorway policeman and he says they had to drive at 60mph or no-one would overtake them.

• Haha 2

Driving home last night on the A50 (from the match, so, obviously, I was already in a good mood :mad:) a police car with blues and two's on is absolutely flying up behind in my lane. I go to move over, and some melt is undertaking me.

On the slip road of the M1 northbound at 21 following a car. Car in front was doing a solid 30 whilst joining the motorway and decided they didn't fancy the gap in the motorway that they could easily have gotten in. Daft cow slammed the anchors on and we stopped with mm to spare. Vam behind had to swerve around me and ended up in the other slip way that merges from the 69 and missed a lorry by whiskers. Miracle nobody was injured tbh. 

She then gets out her effing car and asks why I'd stopped so close to her. Words fail me (they didn't at the time)... I had my just turned 3 son in the back of the car and I hope he didn't learn any new words this afternoon. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

On the slip road of the M1 northbound at 21 following a car. Car in front was doing a solid 30 whilst joining the motorway and decided they didn't fancy the gap in the motorway that they could easily have gotten in. Daft cow slammed the anchors on and we stopped with mm to spare. Vam behind had to swerve around me and ended up in the other slip way that merges from the 69 and missed a lorry by whiskers. Miracle nobody was injured tbh. 

She then gets out her effing car and asks why I'd stopped so close to her. Words fail me (they didn't at the time)... I had my just turned 3 son in the back of the car and I hope he didn't learn any new words this afternoon. 

2 things:

1) Was she elderly? These type of incidents seem to involve them quite often.

2) I hope you've got a "child on board" sticker in your window. lol

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 2

On 15/05/2023 at 18:13, Benguin said:

No, it wouldn't. The speed is completely irrelevant. 

The problem is the people who aren't aware that you stay to the left unless overtaking.

It is an offence to not move over, they should be charged with driving without due care and attention. If only cameras targeted it like they did speeding. A lot more people might use motorways properly.

As learners are now permitted on motorways, it should be a compulsory part of the driving test. At the very least on a simulator, as it wouldn't be possible for people in some locations to access motorways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

The problem is the people who aren't aware that you stay to the left unless overtaking.

It is an offence to not move over, they should be charged with driving without due care and attention. If only cameras targeted it like they did speeding. A lot more people might use motorways properly.

As learners are now permitted on motorways, it should be a compulsory part of the driving test. At the very least on a simulator, as it wouldn't be possible for people in some locations to access motorways.

Best thing you (or most anyone) has ever said on here.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I agree with all of that and don’t like middle lane hoggers but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s an offence to go above 70mph and you have no reason to be overtaking 70mph cruisers. 

Most of the near misses I have seen on the roads are from speeding and tailgating and they would be my priority for police rather than middle lane hoggers.