Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

Not so much annoyed as baffled at this one.

I was driving down Slack Hill between Matlock and Chesterfield, down the steep decline before the sharp incline into Ashover - some of you may know the road. They've recently imposed a 50 limit, which feels too slow but I can welll understand it. After a certain point the road start to flatten out and one is allowed to overtake. I was behind a car doing a good speed so had no intention or need to overtake, but some Young Man (and his passenger) behind me wanted to go far too fast past us. As he decided to overtake, his passenger had the window open and was animatedly pointing at the road, I think to point out to me that I could have been overtaking - and anyone that has read me on here before knows I am not averse to overtaking normally, so this struck me as mildly amusing. Then the jabbing finger became a vigorous flipping of the bird at all parties and off the driver sped.

I was wondering what it was all about, but in the words of Simon Amstell on NMTBuzzcocks, I think the answer was probably a) Cocaine.

Of course the vast majority don't use their garage to park a car. Notwithstanding the point about how small they are, who really has the patience to get out, open the garage, drive in and place the garage door down except old men with time on their hands?

Also, the highway code, especially the nuances of it, are basically the T&C's of your Sky contract. You know the basics but eff the other 200 pages of guff you don't have time to read.

I do enjoy the bores in the comments when the newspaper social media teams put a post to drive engagement saying "80% of drivers don't know this sign" and the Jean, Terry, Bob and Barbara's of this world reply with "I KNEW THAT STRAIGHT AWAY" "WHO DOESN'T KNOW THIS" "CARNT (sic) BELIEVE YOUNG PEOPLE ARE SO IRRESPONSIBLE"

In a perfect world developers wouldn't pretend a garage is a parking space and build more off road parking, and people would know the highway code inside out. Reality is just different. There are idiots on the road who don't know the HC and there will always be idiotic off street parking cos people aren't using their garage. Always has been, always will be.

Edited by Footballwipe

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Also, the highway code, especially the nuances of it, are basically the T&C's of your Sky contract. You know the basics but eff the other 200 pages of guff you don't have time to read.

The difference being of course that not knowing clause 17, paragraph 2, subsection iv of your Sky contract has almost no chance of causing a fatal accident.

1 hour ago, Sparrowhawk said:

The difference being of course that not knowing clause 17, paragraph 2, subsection iv of your Sky contract has almost no chance of causing a fatal accident.

It could if you were reading up on it whilst driving

Following on from a couple of posts above regarding garages and parking, it's annoying that so many people (it seems to me) have off road parking in front of their house yet still choose to park on the road as if they might be inconvenienced by having to drive on and drive off their drive.

• Like 4

Driven the entire length of the M6 today. Twice.

I genuinely don't know how some people have a driving licence. 

Didn't see a single police car. They should be out pulling over people who hog lanes and hit them with an on the spot 3 points and a £100 penalty fine.

The money raised would be enough pay officers to be on patrol and make a tidy profit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Driven the entire length of the M6 today. Twice.

I genuinely don't know how some people have a driving licence. 

Didn't see a single police car. They should be out pulling over people who hog lanes and hit them with an on the spot 3 points and a £100 penalty fine.

The money raised would be enough pay officers to be on patrol and make a tidy profit.

Terrible road, always avoid if possible.

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

Terrible road, always avoid if possible.

Difficult when you have to drive to Dundee and back lol

Left very early and it was actually lovely on the way up, despite people sitting in lane 2, 3 or 4 with no other traffic on the road!

18 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Of course the vast majority don't use their garage to park a car. Notwithstanding the point about how small they are, who really has the patience to get out, open the garage, drive in and place the garage door down except old men with time on their hands?

Electric doors are the answer there. No faffing at all. Push button, park, push button.  

I definitely wasn't an old man at 19 when I bought my first house, and the car always went in the garage. 

When we first moved to this house a year or so ago, the garage was full of our stuff whilst refurbishing,  then the new kitchen stuff, then the bathroom stuff. We couldn't use it for a few months and parking on the drive really annoyed me. De-icing in winter, too hot in the summer, it was a right pain. Happily the car is now back in the garage 😬

Edited by FoyleFox

On 30/06/2023 at 00:34, FoyleFox said:

Electric doors are the answer there. No faffing at all. Push button, park, push button.  

I definitely wasn't an old man at 19 when I bought my first house, and the car always went in the garage. 

When we first moved to this house a year or so ago, the garage was full of our stuff whilst refurbishing,  then the new kitchen stuff, then the bathroom stuff. We couldn't use it for a few months and parking on the drive really annoyed me. De-icing in winter, too hot in the summer, it was a right pain. Happily the car is now back in the garage 😬

#humblebrag

Motorway basically down to two lanes because moronic imbeciles just cruise in the middle lane even though they are not overtaking anything.  Slow lane empty.  

If you don't understand how to use a three lane motorway the get the fvck off the road.  Not to mention the number of people clearly looking down at their phones whilst on the motorway.  General quality of driving is atrocious, something you really notice when you're a passenger.  

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 13:03, Bordersfox said:

Motorway basically down to two lanes because moronic imbeciles just cruise in the middle lane even though they are not overtaking anything.  Slow lane empty.  

If you don't understand how to use a three lane motorway the get the fvck off the road.  Not to mention the number of people clearly looking down at their phones whilst on the motorway.  General quality of driving is atrocious, something you really notice when you're a passenger.  

I go past them in lane 1. Sod the overtake. Do semi regular trips and coming back north on the m25 and m1 you get certain parts where lane 1 is a 70mph expressway for myself with no one in it.

Does tend to be the 4 lane section but still.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Lorries overtaking each other.

A1 Stamford to Newark which I drive regularly is notorious for this.

I sometimes have to drive vehicles that are speed restricted to around 64 mph.

I feel so guilty overtaking on a dual carriageway and I literally lean forward and push myself forward whilst screaming at the top of my voice "COME ON, COME ON, YOU CAN DO IT"

lol

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Bear said:

At a relative speed of 0.1mph?

Absolutely, and then when in front they continue at practically the same speed in convoy. Can only assume they do it to wind other road users up, laughing at the chaotic traffic jams they cause.

Maybe not THAT road related but Severn Trent.

Station lane in Thurnby has had closures now for o er 2 months.

Theres a school there so you can imagine the mayhem, it's like a third world country at times.

Now considering 7 Trent are doing works there you would think that a leak in the middle of the road would be repaired within a week?

No chance.

Still gushing out water and then all residents get texts stating the bloomin obvious that it's being repaired.

Go for a run this morning and no workmen there and it's still gushing.

No doubt we will get a hosepipe ban in August though and will have to bail 7Trent out when they cant pay their massive dividends and are billions in debt.

We are being taken for mugs.

Rant over.

• Like 1