Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/merge-in-turn

This clears it up.

"Faster, free flowing traffic

If on the other hand you're on a motorway or fast dual carriageway in freeflowing traffic and road signs indicate that your lane is closed up ahead then it's best, and safest to move over early when you've got time to pick a safe gap in the adjacent lane rather than wait until the last second when the line of cones gives you no choice but to move across, possibly forcing other vehicles around you to brake to make space."

This applies as there is loads of forewarning on what is a 70mph road. Loads of time to move over before a queue even emerges.

If you're approaching while the traffic is still fast and flowing, yes. But once a slower moving queue has formed this no longer applies, and all the available space should be used, and people should merge in turn.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you're approaching while the traffic is still fast and flowing, yes. But once a slower moving queue has formed this no longer applies, and all the available space should be used, and people should merge in turn.

I mean it literally says you shouldn't change lanes once the traffic has merged, but if you want to convince yourself that you're following the rules and not just being selfish, then be my guest.

36 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I mean it literally says you shouldn't change lanes once the traffic has merged, but if you want to convince yourself that you're following the rules and not just being selfish, then be my guest.

If the lane you are in is clear, there is no need to change, just carry on until the point of merging

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/zip-merging/

https://www.theorytestpro.co.uk/posts/zip-merging-need-learn

By not merging correctly, studies show that we create more congestion because we leave the closing lane unused for longer. It can lead to one lane of gridlocked traffic instead of two lanes of slow moving traffic.

Two factors could explain why we are hesitant to follow the Highway Code correctly. First, it is not uncommon for drivers to become irritated by those choosing to merge at the lane closure – most of us believe that it is rude plus think it creates more traffic in the process (the opposite is true). This in turn leads to us all becoming reluctant to zip-merge for fear of upsetting other drivers.

‘Highway Code? What Highway Code?’ The second explanation is potentially far more serious – people simply don’t know their Highway Code. The survey reveals that only 27% of us know that zip-merging is okay to do under the right circumstances.

More worryingly, 3% of us actually believe it is fine to straddle two lanes to stop other vehicles from passing us.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If the lane you are in is clear, there is no need to change, just carry on until the point of merging

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/zip-merging/

https://www.theorytestpro.co.uk/posts/zip-merging-need-learn

By not merging correctly, studies show that we create more congestion because we leave the closing lane unused for longer. It can lead to one lane of gridlocked traffic instead of two lanes of slow moving traffic.

Two factors could explain why we are hesitant to follow the Highway Code correctly. First, it is not uncommon for drivers to become irritated by those choosing to merge at the lane closure – most of us believe that it is rude plus think it creates more traffic in the process (the opposite is true). This in turn leads to us all becoming reluctant to zip-merge for fear of upsetting other drivers.

‘Highway Code? What Highway Code?’ The second explanation is potentially far more serious – people simply don’t know their Highway Code. The survey reveals that only 27% of us know that zip-merging is okay to do under the right circumstances.

More worryingly, 3% of us actually believe it is fine to straddle two lanes to stop other vehicles from passing us.

Conveniently ignoring the point on fast moving traffic. 

I'm not going to argue with you if you're just going to completely ignore the points relevant to the situation I'm talking about, using irrelevant situations as evidence to support your flawed point of view.

'Under the right circumstances' in your words. This ain't that.

Might be easier to just accept you're an inconsiderate driver? I'd have more respect for that in a way.

9 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Conveniently ignoring the point on fast moving traffic. 

I'm not going to argue with you if you're just going to completely ignore the points relevant to the situation I'm talking about, using irrelevant situations as evidence to support your flawed point of view.

'Under the right circumstances' in your words. This ain't that.

Might be easier to just accept you're an inconsiderate driver? I'd have more respect for that in a way.

Ah, OK. When you said you ' positioned my car half in the left lane, half in the middle lane to block the lane, indicating right, and got dogs abuse' I assumed you wouldn't be doing that in fast moving traffic. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

In this weather, obdurate twats refusing to use even their poxy sidelights. I honestly think some people live within a square yard radius that surrounds them and them only.

Been up and down the M6 today, visibility is awful, even worse when you're near a lorry and they're kicking up spray, but there are so many people driving without their lights on.

Considering most cars now have the option of automatic lights, it's pretty scary. 

Just pure ignorance and stupidity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Been up and down the M6 today, visibility is awful, even worse when you're near a lorry and they're kicking up spray, but there are so many people driving without their lights on.

Considering most cars now have the option of automatic lights, it's pretty scary. 

And (i've mentioned it before here) lights on at the front yet not at the rear - whose idea was that crap?

6 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I positioned my car half in the left lane, half in the middle lane to block the lane, indicating right, and got dogs abuse. There was literally a sign right in front of me showing that the lane was closed.

I've had a think and I believe you're wrong. I did it once when driving a truck as I got annoyed by drivers just pushing in front of me with no intention of merging in turn. They just wanted to get ahead of a big lorry.

However, I understand your frustration at people pushing in but, as @FoxesDeb has said, all you're actually doing is creating more frustration and it's not surprising you got dogs abuse TBF.

That said, if drivers actually allowed people to merge in turn instead of deliberately closing the gap between them and the car in front, it would work so much better.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but...

People merging too early and not using the open lanes are what create the tailbacks, use the lanes while they are open and merge in turn at the point they close.

Why would you sit in a queue for a mile looking at two open and empty lanes?

Edited by Parafox

Audi A1. In that matte grey colour you now see cars in.

Roundabout 1, two lanes going around and they have no lane management/awareness of what is around them and decide to join the adjacent lane by cutting someone up and nearly causing an accident. No signalling etc.

Roundabout 2, two lanes straight over only, right hand lane is right only.

They were in the middle lane, clearly marked, they were at the front so could see all road markings on approach. They decide to change lanes into the right hand lane (ie poor lane management, their lane straight on and they just veered) and almost caused an accident. Again no signalling, no attempt to speed up to avoid a collision, just driving like they were the only drivers on the road.

Seriously?????

7 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Motorway near mine is down to 1 lane for a mile or so. There are signs for a good mile before warning that the two left lanes are closed. 

Maybe 20% of passing traffic just speeds down the left lane and cuts in at the end.

If ever you're in doubt, remember this and never again underestimate the sheer volume of cvnts we live amongst. 

I positioned my car half in the left lane, half in the middle lane to block the lane, indicating right, and got dogs abuse. There was literally a sign right in front of me showing that the lane was closed.

You'll know if you're in that 20%, so tell me; What makes you more important than everyone else that gets in line? Entitled bell ends to a man, and yes I noticed it was exclusively men.

People not merging early is the main reason these lane closures create such bad backlogs.

Tell me you don't know the highway code and you're a shît driver with a permanent chip in their shoulder in one post.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Silent cars.

I know they're meant to be better for the environment, but they can be quite dangerous when you can barely hear one coming around from a corner.

Should have a bloke with a flag running in front of them, I say. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

And (i've mentioned it before here) lights on at the front yet not at the rear - whose idea was that crap?

Daytime running lights, as I'm sure you know. 

Volvo have had them for years as a safety feature for pedestrians to be able to see an approaching vehicle more easily. 

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Ah, OK. When you said you ' positioned my car half in the left lane, half in the middle lane to block the lane, indicating right, and got dogs abuse' I assumed you wouldn't be doing that in fast moving traffic. 

I don't know if you're being intentionally difficult or incredibly dense.

Obviously there comes a point that the traffic slows down, because of the existence of people cutting in.

However it's a fast moving road and the warnings are there well in advance to move over, which the guidelines say that you should do. And once you're there you should not move lane. It's that simple and there in black and white. You're choosing to ignore that because you don't want to admit you're selfish. Whatever.

Some people are arses and happy to admit it, and d'you know what? Fair enough. It's the ones that manage to convince themselves they can't do a thing wrong that really rub me up the wrong way. 

Edited by Nod.E

6 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Tell me you don't know the highway code and you're a shît driver with a permanent chip in their shoulder in one post.

I have literally sourced proof that I am correct. Nice of you to out yourself as one of those selfish 20% though. Hi, Greb.

38 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I've had a think and I believe you're wrong. I did it once when driving a truck as I got annoyed by drivers just pushing in front of me with no intention of merging in turn. They just wanted to get ahead of a big lorry.

However, I understand your frustration at people pushing in but, as @FoxesDeb has said, all you're actually doing is creating more frustration and it's not surprising you got dogs abuse TBF.

That said, if drivers actually allowed people to merge in turn instead of deliberately closing the gap between them and the car in front, it would work so much better.

Wouldn't need to if people zip-merged when the traffic is still flowing in the mile in the lead up to the lane closures in the first place. You know, as you're supposed to.

Happy to admit my straddling two lanes is spiteful and makes the issue worse behind me, but the problem doesn't exist without them making the first ignorant move and the temptation to stop them in their tracks is sometimes too much.

Edited by Nod.E

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Wouldn't need to if people zip-merged when the traffic is still flowing in the mile in the lead up to the lane closures in the first place. You know, as you're supposed to.

Yes.

BUT THEY DON'T!!

Drivers are meant to do as the HC advises. But they don't. And I would bet you don't follow the HC to the letter. I've done so many advanced driving courses/assessments in my career and I will be the first to admit that I don't follow the HC exactly. 

I agree with you that it's frustrating, but it is what it is. We all have to deal with it.

On a fast-moving road, yeah you should be moving across earlier and when safe to do so. But if one lane is stationary and one is clear, surely you should be going down the clear lane to avoid lengthening the tailback? Appreciate that's more beneficial on normal roads so as to avoid causing the queue to affect other roads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I think automatic lights are part of the issue, people just set it to automatic and assume that's job done. When it's daylight but rain/spray is causing poor visibility I usually have to turn mine on manually as the car doesn't think its dark enough to require the lights to be on. 

20 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I didn't know - if that's what they are, they don't adjust well when necessary.

I'm not quite sure what adjustment you are referring to. They're on or they're off depending on the vehicle/driver settings

6 hours ago, potter3 said:

I think automatic lights are part of the issue, people just set it to automatic and assume that's job done. When it's daylight but rain/spray is causing poor visibility I usually have to turn mine on manually as the car doesn't think its dark enough to require the lights to be on. 

This is true.

The automatic headlight control function detects brightness outside the vehicle with an illuminance sensor installed near the dashboard, in order to control when the lights turn on and off. It turns on headlights when the amount of light picked up by the illuminance sensor drops below a certain level.

So, for example, snow and rain creates greater brightness depending on the ambient light. If it's a dull cloudy day it'll trigger auto lighting but if it's sunny and bright but it's raining or snowing, as it can be at times, it won't.