Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

15 hours ago, Fox92 said:

And nobody ever there working.

All this 50mph on M1 for new safety areas, why not just do a couple junctions at a time instead of taking five or six junctions at one go.

Doesn't seem to make much sense, does it?

13 hours ago, Tuna said:

They always do them in the school summer holidays

I guess that does make more sense from a "there might be less overall traffic" theory, but not sure how well it works in practice.

55 minutes ago, adam1 said:

LFE at the minute. Gridlock both ways on the A47 due to roadworks at both ends of the village.

Seriously. That's the particular one I've been having to negotiate every day, as it happens.

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

LFE at the minute. Gridlock both ways on the A47 due to roadworks at both ends of the village.

The Warren Lane one is causing absolute uproar particularly, isn't it? I ran past them at about 5:30am this morning and there were about 10 cars stacked waiting to go towards the city, it was crazy.

I'm taking a huge, long detour every day to get back home from work to avoid that bit. There's also temp lights at the rounadbout in Kirby Muxloe, so the traffic on the road over the M1 backs up, too.

Tbf the work needs doing to alleviate that bad flooding that occurs at the junction, and I fully sign up to the narrative that there's no good time to do some roadworks, it's a "hold nose, get it done" thing, but I also realise it's a really poor look to keep most of the carriageway closed off (and at the weekend) when it only looks like you're working on a tiny portion of it. 

You lot have it easy. I live in Burton where you have the town centre and the surrounding residential suburbs separated by the river Trent. Now realise we only have 2 bridges that go over the river connecting them, then add roadworks on one of said bridges and you have utter chaos and tailbacks going in and out of the town. The council keep building more and more houses and encouraging more and more people to live here and the roads just can't cope any more. Not to mention it's pothole central luke most towns nowadays. 

And add to that any incidents like the other day where one of the bridges had to be closed for a few hours and you just get gridlock. 

8 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

The Warren Lane one is causing absolute uproar particularly, isn't it? I ran past them at about 5:30am this morning and there were about 10 cars stacked waiting to go towards the city, it was crazy.

I'm taking a huge, long detour every day to get back home from work to avoid that bit. There's also temp lights at the rounadbout in Kirby Muxloe, so the traffic on the road over the M1 backs up, too.

Tbf the work needs doing to alleviate that bad flooding that occurs at the junction, and I fully sign up to the narrative that there's no good time to do some roadworks, it's a "hold nose, get it done" thing, but I also realise it's a really poor look to keep most of the carriageway closed off (and at the weekend) when it only looks like you're working on a tiny portion of it. 

I drop one kid off in Kirby and one in LFE each morning and pick them up in the evening. I hit both sets of traffic 😭. Luckily the kirby one hasnt been too bad in the morning.

In the evening i avoid the kirby one by going the back way through Ratby. Today I spent 10 minutes in Ratby - MORE ROADWORKS!!!

Posted (edited)
On 13/08/2024 at 18:35, leicsmac said:

There seems to be roadworks practically everywhere you look right now. Something of a farce.

21 hours ago, Tuna said:

They always do them in the school summer holidays

In theory less traffic, but that would only make sense between 8 and 9 am and 2:30 and 3;30pm.Otherwise potentially more traffic during the whole day as families are more out and about outside of school hours.

Also@leicsmac there's a LOT of this ultra fast broadband cable laying right now. Also AFAIK, warmer weather makes resurfacing/redressing easier. There's also more daylight hours so work can go on for longer each day, thereby shortening the whole length of time for digging up/repairing/installing underground projects.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

Booked over a week ago for 4 tyres and an MOT. Guy on the phone promised me it'll be ready by 12, so i need to amuse myself in Ktown for 3.5 hours. Drop it off and he says "I'll try".

Mate, try?!

If you'd said that on the phone I'd have gone somewhere else.

15 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Flies or temporary traffic lights?

Both!!!

Parents have always lived in LFE and so did i growing up. Cannot believe how bad the flies are. Used to be bad down packer avenue but its gone past the m1 bridge to the other part. 

How long until it impacts upon Kirby....

43 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Both!!!

Parents have always lived in LFE and so did i growing up. Cannot believe how bad the flies are. Used to be bad down packer avenue but its gone past the m1 bridge to the other part. 

How long until it impacts upon Kirby....

My sister and a friend who both live in the Western Park area, have had loads this year too.

The passenger who yelled 'Get off the road' at me the other day in Houghton-on-the-Hill, as the car he was in sped past at at least 50mph in a 40mph limit. I was on my electric bike, close to the kerb, not holding up the traffic. I'd be interested to know the reason for his outburst. Maybe he was concerned for my safety,  cycling on the A47, although somehow I doubt it!

9 hours ago, Daggers said:

Booked over a week ago for 4 tyres and an MOT. Guy on the phone promised me it'll be ready by 12, so i need to amuse myself in Ktown for 3.5 hours. Drop it off and he says "I'll try".

Mate, try?!

That's a challenging wank. lol

To the man who glared at me for flashing him (60mph middle lane, empty outside lane, no intention of moving)

To the woman who glared at me for flashing [my lights at] her (sat in the middle of an empty road with traffic stacking up behind her)

All the others who glared at me when I tootled past at 70mph on the left whilst flicking the vs.

KEEP LEFT.

Oh and the lorry driver who was up the arse of  a middle lane hogger and flashing them when in a 50mph section.🤝

Just to explain how bad this problem is, the car in question with the lorry decided to go into the right hand lane.... revoke their licence!!!!!

Edited by adam1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, adam1 said:

To the man who glared at me for flashing him (60mph middle lane, empty outside lane, no intention of moving)

To the woman who glared at me for flashing [my lights at] her (sat in the middle of an empty road with traffic stacking up behind her)

All the others who glared at me when I tootled past at 70mph on the left whilst flicking the vs.

KEEP LEFT.

Oh and the lorry driver who was up the arse of  a middle lane hogger and flashing them when in a 50mph section.🤝

Just to explain how bad this problem is, the car in question with the lorry decided to go into the inside lane..... revoke their licence!!!!!

If the motorway is otherwise clear, you should always overtake a middle-lane hogger using the outside lane, if you're in a car. It seems that the undertaker is more in the wrong than the idiot causing the problem! The M69 seems to be especially popular with middle-lane hoggers.   

On 16/08/2024 at 20:15, String fellow said:

The passenger who yelled 'Get off the road' at me the other day in Houghton-on-the-Hill, as the car he was in sped past at at least 50mph in a 40mph limit. I was on my electric bike, close to the kerb, not holding up the traffic. I'd be interested to know the reason for his outburst. Maybe he was concerned for my safety,  cycling on the A47, although somehow I doubt it!

small penis

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, String fellow said:

If the motorway is otherwise clear, you should always overtake a middle-lane hogger using the outside lane, if you're in a car. It seems that the undertaker is more in the wrong than the idiot causing the problem! The M69 seems to be especially popular with middle-lane hoggers.   

When there is congestion you are allowed to use any lane. Highways code.

Thus if there are vehicles in both lanes doing sub 70mph, I am free to flick the vs when I pass on the left.

7 minutes ago, adam1 said:

When there is congestion you are allowed to use any lane. Highways code.

Thus if there are vehicles in both lanes doing sub 70mph, I am free to flick the vs when I pass on the left.

Talking about speed limits, I was amused to learn recently that they don't apply to electric bikes. There are various downhill stretches of road with 30mph limits near here where I'm able to exceed that limit on mine. It's great to see the green smiley face turn red with anger as I approach the warning sign. The next challenge is to get flashed by a speed camera!

6 hours ago, String fellow said:

Thus condoning the eejit effectively taking up 2/3 lanes?

On 16/08/2024 at 08:58, Daggers said:

Mate, try?!

use MJP on Eskdaill street 

Catching up with tbis thresd is always an interesting read. Quite proud of the fact that I rarely get too annoyed on the roads. Occasionally it happens but I rarely feel the need to flash or beep too often. 

Maybe the easily annoyed drivers are the problem :ph34r: genuinely think some of you go out looking for something to annoy you lol

• Like 1