Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

12 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Catching up with tbis thresd is always an interesting read. Quite proud of the fact that I rarely get too annoyed on the roads. Occasionally it happens but I rarely feel the need to flash or beep too often. 

Maybe the easily annoyed drivers are the problem :ph34r: genuinely think some of you go out looking for something to annoy you lol

Defensive driving style, anticipation, (not just in case something develops ahead of you, but also in your next planned manoeuvre, (turn, overtake, acceleration, slowing, etc)), awareness, looking as far ahead as is possible and patience, all key parts of good driving behaviour.

My ambulance driving training used this:

Roadcraft. Roadcraft. Roadcraft: The Police Driver's Handbook

It completely changed my driving behaviour and techniques and I still apply now, what I learnt then.

I urge drivers here to at least take a look. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Observation at all times is key to be able to anticipate what people might do around you. So many people are just completely oblivious and tunnel visioned on themselves. 

Agree. They drive almost entirely fixed on the car in front, not what else might be going on around/further ahead of them.

When I was training for blue lights we had to do a commentary as we drove, explaining what we saw, what action we were taking in response, how we positioned the vehicle on the road, when we used the brakes, what gear was used, what we were planning to do when approaching hazards, what road signs/road markings there were. All spoken out loud to the examiner. It certainly focused the mind.

I still do that from time to time just to keep it in my head.

Edited by Parafox

Been in Paris since Sunday. Have seen two car crashes and I surprised it hasn’t been more. 
Used Uber at least twice a day and thankfully have had a drink most of the times we have been in cabs so I haven’t been as on edge as I would have been sober. Parisian driving is literally mind boggling. 
Also massive police and army presence everywhere which I suppose will be there until the paralympics finish. 

Queueing at the bar in pubs is akin to queueing in one lane for 3/4 mile where the signs say "use both lanes when queueing" and "merge in turn".

Yes I will drive to the front.

Yes I will swerve around your car when you pull out to try and stop me.

Yes I will laugh as you angrily stick your finger up because I just nipped in front of you at the very front.

Learn to read and apply common sense...🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

I know it's been said approximately 1,000,000 times in this thread but my god middle lane hoggers just make the road so dangerous.

There's empty road ahead in the inside lane, but they consistently tootle along at 60 in the middle on three-lane stretches or lanes two and three on four-lane stretches, forcing me to go across several lanes of traffic if I want to overtake.

I don't understand the mentality. If you're that opposed to changing lanes to overtake and come back in again and you want a nice easy cruise and to switch off, you shouldn't be on the ****ing motorway.

• Haha 1

On 25/08/2024 at 22:21, ALC Fox said:

I know it's been said approximately 1,000,000 times in this thread but my god middle lane hoggers just make the road so dangerous.

There's empty road ahead in the inside lane, but they consistently tootle along at 60 in the middle on three-lane stretches or lanes two and three on four-lane stretches, forcing me to go across several lanes of traffic if I want to overtake.

I don't understand the mentality. If you're that opposed to changing lanes to overtake and come back in again and you want a nice easy cruise and to switch off, you shouldn't be on the ****ing motorway.

Welcome to my club. 

• Haha 1

This is a bit heavy so you have been warned….

i attended a RTA as a bystander … was first one there. It is the most harrowing thing I have ever seen. She had several open fractures including of her skull and she had fat hanging out of her belly … I can’t un see it. For those that don’t know I’m a psych nurse by trade but this was well above advanced life support. 

I don’t know if she’s made it. It was Fcuking horrendous 

Edited by casablancas
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, casablancas said:

This is a bit heavy so you have been warned….

i attended a RTA as a bystander … was first one there. It is the most harrowing thing I have ever seen. She had several open fractures including skull and she had fat toe out of her belly … I can’t un see it. For those that don’t know I’m a psych nurse by trade but this was well above advanced life support. 

I don’t know if she’s made it. It was Fcuking horrendous 

Sounds like the sort of thing nobody wants to see.

Hope the person in question made it and is stable. Hope you're okay too.

13 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Sounds like the sort of thing nobody wants to see.

Hope the person in question made it and is stable. Hope you're okay too.

She was in critical last I heard, not hopeful though based on what I saw. I’m all sorts of fcuked up lol

There's a width restriction at the top of Barkby Thorpe lane to stop lorries going through.  3 lorries ignored the signs and tried to get through this morning causing chaos. All 3 had to reverse back up the hill. 

40 minutes ago, isaidno said:

There's a width restriction at the top of Barkby Thorpe lane to stop lorries going through.  3 lorries ignored the signs and tried to get through this morning causing chaos. All 3 had to reverse back up the hill. 

“Professional” drivers are slamming their trucks into our railway bridge all the time - like, it’s the number one hit bridge in the country. These people should stick to murdering prostitutes in lay-bys because they sure as shit can’t drive.

On 25/08/2024 at 22:21, ALC Fox said:

I have no idea why it's not part of passing your test. It should be drummed into people's heads over and over again before you even get a license. 

• Like 1

If I'm doing 65 in the slow lane and overtaking someone in the middle lane then I'll just stick in the slow lane. I'm not looking to pull in front of the other person after going past them, but I'm not moving over 2 lanes to overtake them.

• Like 3

My own shite driving. 

Would probably have reversed into the path of a car (almost certainly going faster than the 20 mph limit on our road) while backing out of my drive if the safety tech on my car hadn't intervened and stopped me.

That'll have saved me a few quid

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

My own shite driving. 

Would probably have reversed into the path of a car (almost certainly going faster than the 20 mph limit on our road) while backing out of my drive if the safety tech on my car hadn't intervened and stopped me.

That'll have saved me a few quid

Similar story for me last Thursday. I was pissing about trying to get my car to connect to my phone hot-spot and hadn't noticed that the car in front had almost stopped for a fire engine coming the other way. The sudden warning beeps and alarm made sure I stopped in time thankfully. 

8 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

The last 2 posts have just proved that people now rely on technology to help them drive safely. No wonder there is more accidents on the roads

The alternate argument is that if the car didn't have the ability to connect to the internet (like my last car an Audi), I wouldn't have been distracted from the road. Observation is usually my biggest strength on the roads too. 

12 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

The last 2 posts have just proved that people now rely on technology to help them drive safely. No wonder there is more accidents on the roads

Not sure I follow, old chap.

Technology has prevented two accidents where the human has been found wanting?

Hasn't it prevented accidents increasing more than they would've done?

Fun fact for those of us that bemoan the chaos on the roads. Worst year in peacetime for road deaths in the UK? 1966

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Not sure I follow, old chap.

Technology has prevented two accidents where the human has been found wanting?

Hasn't it prevented accidents increasing more than they would've done?

Fun fact for those of us that bemoan the chaos on the roads. Worst year in peacetime for road deaths in the UK? 1966

Perhaps if you didnt have the technology you would have been concentrating more on your own driving skills. Im sure it has saved many an accident/death and is a very usefull aid but at the end of the day the person behind the wheel is resposable for your own safety and other people who you  happen to come across

49 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

Perhaps if you didnt have the technology you would have been concentrating more on your own driving skills. Im sure it has saved many an accident/death and is a very usefull aid but at the end of the day the person behind the wheel is resposable for your own safety and other people who you  happen to come across

Well, you know, it was a manoeuvre I've probably done, I dunno, 1500 times in the years I've lived in this house, and technology I didn't actually know the car had (I've not had it that long) kicked in when I was found wanting, and isn't that exactly what you'd want it to do? 

Now I know the car will do that I suppose I could absolve myself of all responsibility and gaily reverse into the carriageway without looking ever again, but I don't trust the technology to that extent, and I managed to do it right without help on the other 1,499 (est) occasions.

I'd also have liked the car that was bombing part past my house to have had its speed limited to the 20 mph permitted on our road but that's a couple of years away and one for another day

13 hours ago, NAKC20 said:

I have a concern with the sensors that detect another car in your blind spot (you will see wing mirrors that light up).

What happens if they don't come on?

Is the driver still going to look over their shoulder?

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

I have a concern with the sensors that detect another car in your blind spot (you will see wing mirrors that light up).

My last two cars have this (including my ancient Mazda) and yeah, I still always look.

To me, at the moment at least, all this tech is just augments what the driver is doing. Even if you're doing exactly what you should, you can still miss stuff however careful you are, so the tech is another layer on top of that for emergencies

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

The flashing traingles on mine are one of the best bits of tech and I'll admit I dont usually look over my shoulder and rely on it, yes.