Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mjeb

Radio Leicester - Stringer

I was a Stringer fan a few yrs back. He came across as a fan and his passionate commentary was quite refreshing. Slowly but surely he's just deteriorated.

With the changes over the summer it was a chance for him to start a fresh, learn from his mistakes and maybe rebuild some of the bridges he burnt especially with the players.

Obviously he had to mention the Vardy incident on the forum but there was no need to drag it out like he did and to get that Japanese reporter on was just embarrassing.

1 week into the season he's already managed to shoot himself in the foot and alienate himself further from the players.

If I was in charge id be straight on the phone to a certain Mr Geoff Peters asking him to name his price!

Nice post Geoff - not sure why you didn't post that from your regular account though  ;)

Seriously, totally agree on this.  I didn't listen to the moan in (I'm always at work) but it sounds embarrassing to say the least.  He was great in the Div 1 season but I've become more and more thankful that we are in the Prem just because I don't have to resort to his commentary!  Sad state of affairs really but if he is getting ratings, then BBC Leicester will keep him there.

Whatever we all think of Stringer it's useless going on moaning because the BBC will do bugger all as usual they just see him reporting on a recent bit of news they don't care if he upsets the players managers fans of Leicester City Fc so long as he is reporting the news he is doing his job!

His over zealous commentating on matches can be so irritating but so long as he is following the rules etc of the BBC we will just have to put up with him there is one way tho of getting rid of the irritating little 'THRUSH' (nice way of calling him something rather rude lol !! )

Is to PRESS THE OFF BUTTON !!

O.K After last nights phone in on Radio Leicester where Mr Stringer again was ridiculous and embarrassing is it now time we sent a clear message to our local Radio station that Ian Stringer is not the right man to be the voice of the fans.

Boycotted by the Club's staff including the Players and Manager and continuing to speak total and utter rubbish resulting in last nights embarrassing attempt of covering the Jamie Vardy Racist story. It's time we made our opinions clear we want a REAL voice of the fans. someone we can relate to and a real Leicester City Fan.

So.....Anyone who agree's can text Radio Leicester with the following words and hopefully with enough texts going in they will sit up and  do something about it.

"Please replace Ian Stringer asap i as a fan have had enough of his poor representation of us fans with the club.His continued employment will result in me boycotting your station .....MR.....(end with your name)

Or words to that effect you get the idea.

Text number: 81333 - Start your message with LEICESTER. Texts to this number will be charged at your standard network rate.

Comment your name here when done. I think as few as 50 will make them sit up and take notice.

We as fans need a voice to the club and he had proven time and time again he is not capable of representing us. The club has virtually boycotted him! We want to hear the Players and Manager after the games.It's time for him to go.Last night was the last straw.

Remember to start with the word LEICESTER.

Comment DONE

UPDATE

Editor of Radio Leicester and a top Bloke from the BBC have both been in touch with me today...Here is some of the feedback....

Radio Leicester feels that it as not Mr Stringer who alienated himself and the station and the players but it was in fact MR Pearson who was mainly at fault. Wouldn't go into reasons only to say Mr Pearson had also been refused interviews from Radio Humberside when he was at Hull. They were also keen to state the finger across the throat incident made by MR Stringer at the same time as the Pearson sacked then not sacked saga was not directed at Mr Pearson but at David Nugent a sign that he was injured and it was a bad injury.

The radio station has been in discussion's with the club throughout the close season and are working hard to improve relations between them and they have made a lot of progress.

They do feel Mr Stringer is a very passionate fan who can sometimes speak before thinks but this is due to his love of the club. He has been spoken to about this in the past and they are working at improving his delivery.

They also state that lessons will be learnt after the Vardy Monday Night phone in and it could and should have been handled better. 

The BBC spokesman stated that they were aware of issues and they are talking the the station regally to improve the service it gives to the customers. 

Oh and they have noted how many texts have gone into them and they will continue to work with all staff to ensure we get a good service as paying customers of the BBC.

Forgetting all the politics and stuff going on with the players not speaking etc.

I'm am going on basing my decision that I tune in to listen to commentary on the match that is happening...which is essentially what he is there to do, he is very poor.

On the odd occasion I have listened, which is rare now, he mentions everything apart from what is happening on the pitch.

I get more enjoyment and more info on the match from just listening to a bit part analysis on Sky Sports News than Stringer and guest being live for the whole 90+ mins.

Obviously, this is just my opinion on the matter of the match commentary.

Not that I would want to add to a person being out of work, but if there was a change in commentator I would be more inclined to listen to Radio Leicester commentary.

Commentators, on tv and Radio, but more so radio, have forgotten how to build up what they are seeing and observing, so

fans could live the very minute, the very second.

In times past, many older,some now deceased, used to mention that when commentating, they would try to think they are

commentating for the blind.All commentators today lose concentration and begin to waffle on many occasions.

Missing many times, best moves or individual tricks, even passing over some amusing events of the action.

They are too busy being selfish, in their deliverance.

What was the name of the **** commentator before cov fan when we were in L1 he make stringer look like Alan Green. It's local radio I don't give a shit surprised how many people do. I don't hear many commentaries cos I'm at the game though.

John Barber. Stringer gets a lot of patience from me because of what went before. After Barber the only way really was up.

John Barber. Stringer gets a lot of patience from me because of what went before. After Barber the only way really was up.

I've never understood the fondness for Uncle Nev from some. The rare occasion I got a signal for radio leicester you'd  be left wondering what sport was being reported on let alone what was going on.

Stringer's broadcasting wasn't impartial reporting, he was moralizing, His job is to report the facts and let others be the judge.

The guy who openly admitted that he had made objectionable remarks in the past, albeit ashamed of himself, was far more believable than that sanctimonious bullshit.

I agree with this. unfortunately, we have gone from dire to mediocre with an agenda.

Guest Col city fan

I've never been sure whether Stringer does what he does on purpose, to seek a reaction and stir things up, OR if he's just plain daft? I can never really tell.

If it's the former, then actually it's quite entertaining on the basis that he gets discussed. Just look at the length of this thread and so many people getting wound up by him, discussing him, calling for his head etc.

Genuinely, have you nothing better to do than to become this bothered at the antics of a radio presenter?

He could just be monotone, neutral, policitally correct, dull, non-controversial, pleasant all the time etc... But then he wouldn't get discussed.

I have a feeling that Stringer acts the way he does..for Stringer. He loves to be centre of attention. Look at this thread...he is!

lol

UPDATE

Editor of Radio Leicester and a top Bloke from the BBC have both been in touch with me today...Here is some of the feedback....

Radio Leicester feels that it as not Mr Stringer who alienated himself and the station and the players but it was in fact MR Pearson who was mainly at fault. Wouldn't go into reasons only to say Mr Pearson had also been refused interviews from Radio Humberside when he was at Hull. They were also keen to state the finger across the throat incident made by MR Stringer at the same time as the Pearson sacked then not sacked saga was not directed at Mr Pearson but at David Nugent a sign that he was injured and it was a bad injury.

The radio station has been in discussion's with the club throughout the close season and are working hard to improve relations between them and they have made a lot of progress.

They do feel Mr Stringer is a very passionate fan who can sometimes speak before thinks but this is due to his love of the club. He has been spoken to about this in the past and they are working at improving his delivery.

They also state that lessons will be learnt after the Vardy Monday Night phone in and it could and should have been handled better. 

The BBC spokesman stated that they were aware of issues and they are talking the the station regally to improve the service it gives to the customers. 

Oh and they have noted how many texts have gone into them and they will continue to work with all staff to ensure we get a good service as paying customers of the BBC.

Thank you Foreverfox for posting this.  I personally think it is a very good response from the BBC.  This sentiment in particular is very encouraging -

'They also state that lessons will be learnt after the Vardy Monday Night phone in and it could and should have been handled better'. 

I would hope that having seen the reaction to this weeks Football Forum, Mr. S  issues a short apologetic statement (on air) admitting that his performance last Monday Night what not one of his best.  Then we can all draw a line under this and get back to talking about the Club we all love.

That always amazes me too.

You're both still amazed that people can listen to the radio commentary at a match on a mobile phone or while watching live tv coverage?

People have commented in this very thread that they've done this.

As for their reasons for doing it, you'll have to ask them but I suspect they're trying to see just how far out his commentary is to reality.

UPDATE

Nice that they sent you some feedback, but how can they possibly try to blame Pearson for it when it was the players who originally took the stance and Pearson who joined them later after giving a post-match interview?

If it was Pearson that was responsible, the players would now be talking to Stringer, the fact that they're not tells us everything we need to know.

At least they've admitted the gesture happened, it was directed at Nugent and given an explanation for it but it was the Liverpool home game and the foad incident.

He's 'failing' a small group of people on foxestalk who seem intent on feeling failed.

The audience for a home match on the radio is small. Only 160k people tune in per week to Radio Leicester (or 23k a day) so there are always more people at the game than ever listening to the radio, on a match day.

If you're not at the match I am amazed that anyone can say his commentary is innacurate as surely they are unable to see what he is describing so would have no idea about its accuracy.

That always amazes me too.

Its not necessarily inaccurate, but more it is not in keeping with the games flow.

In the past, (i havent heard him commentate this season. (yay TV streams) his commentary of the game has been clumsy and out of sync...We will hear that the ball is in our RB position.... Stringer will then talk about sandwiches, hair, hats or the trip up in the car... before you know it, the ball is apparently headed toward the goal from a blinding shot, those of us with no choice other than listen to his commentary have no idea, how it got there, what if any great play occurred who was involved in the build up etc etc.

Having said that, the overreaction to the "Monday phone in" on here is laughable.

I think he's a prat but I do happen to think when he's doing his actual job ie commentating, he's pretty good. He just needs to eliminate all the goading, stirring and generally irritating behaviour.

Players still aren't talking to him post match and that's annoying

pull your tongue out of stringers arris!

anything that gets shut of the **** is worth it

Another foxestalk member that thinks you either have to unquestionably hate or love someone - and that there is no middle ground.

You've all gone spectacularly overboard on this whole thing, to the point its become embarrassing. 

I wouldn't have handled Monday the way he did, but to say it was a character assassination is just farcical. 

Another foxestalk member that thinks you either have to unquestionably hate or love someone - and that there is no middle ground.

You've all gone spectacularly overboard on this whole thing, to the point its become embarrassing. 

I wouldn't have handled Monday the way he did, but to say it was a character assassination is just farcical. 

I didn't, I just said Stinger was a **** - which he is.

And that is coming from someone who knows, trust me

I didn't, I just said Stinger was a **** - which he is.

And that is coming from someone who knows, trust me

I wasn't specifically talking about you.

And cards on the table, I obviously know him given I've been on the air a few times on a Monday. He is excitable, enthusiastic and probably talks before he thinks a little more often than people would like.

Can understand the dislike for Stringer.

Personally, I don't like him. I think he has a knack for stirring things a little but - I guess he has to? They have more competition to get ratings etc, so when there is some controversy, they ( Stinger and Jason Bourne ) capitalise on it.

BUT. Going after the man's job is out of order imo. Whether you think he is "doing his job" or not - I think you'll find Radio Leicester will be the judge of that, and whilst they're getting listeners and ratings - they probably won't care.

BUT. Going after the man's job is out of order imo. Whether you think he is "doing his job" or not - I think you'll find Radio Leicester will be the judge of that, and whilst they're getting listeners and ratings - they probably won't care.

Radio Leicester have people by the balls, you can't listen any other way. Listening figures I'm sure will stay steady no matter who commentates. If people don't like the service he provides then they are well within their rights to tell Radio Leicester that.

He and Radio Leicester should take it as constructive critisism and try to improve their service.... as it is I don't think they take anything on board. They may listen but certainly don't seem to act, if they did people wouldn't STILL be bringing up the same critisisms that they were three years ago. In fact it only seems to have got worse. 

I'm not sure that's all Stringers fault, I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if his approach is actively encouraged (Jason Bourne seemed to start following his lead over the last year or so with regards shit stirring). We live in an era where visits to websites, clicks, texts, calls are what matter. Controversy, sound bites, red top style headlines, which is the route they have taken are all standard click bate... there is a reason the daily mail website is one of the most visited papers in the word (20 million more hits than the New York times in Jan 2014!!!!).

We now see the same approach from the mercury as real reporting goes out the window in favour of amassing as much website traffic as they can. It's a sad indictment of the times we live in I'm afraid.

Archived