Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Tony Pulis to City?

Yeah in 1998.

May as well get Howard Kendall or George Graham in.

(I like Hoddle, I really do, but he is finished as a manager).

Everyone is saying pulis don't like him plays long ball that would not suit our squad. I think someone like Hoddle would be a good fit just an opinion.

Hoddle was brought in at QPR to introduce a three at the back system that was ditched after four matches and 9 goals conceded. He was awful at Wolves, mediocre at Spurs and his only good club jobs were at Swindon in 1993 and Southampton 13 years ago.

Would be totally the wrong choice.

He did ok at Chelsea and was pretty decent with England.

Pearson is a better manager then Hoddle. The only option which would offer an improvement is Pulis. Going abroad would be a disaster, we need someone who knows the league. We would play the same style of football we do now, which I admit isn't exactly mouth watering, but the key difference would be us gaining points and seeing out narrow leads more often then we are doing. Pearson is playing the "Pulis style" and failing.

Pearson is a better manager then Hoddle. The only option which would offer an improvement is Pulis. Going abroad would be a disaster, we need someone who knows the league. We would play the same style of football we do now, which I admit isn't exactly mouth watering, but the key difference would be us gaining points and seeing out narrow leads more often then we are doing. Pearson is playing the "Pulis style" and failing.

Not the 'Pulis style' as deployed at Palace last season.

No I couldnt.

The only names that would be of any interest to me would be Pulis, Sherwood/Ferdinand combo and if we could tempt him back to the Prem, Laudrup. Some people mentioned Hoddle andy first reaction was '**** right off' but the more I think about it, he could actually not be that bad of an option. He's obviously wanting to get back into management and whilst his spell at Wolves was un-productive, his record everywhere else is decent.

To be honest though, as much as I dont see Pearson turning it around, i'm starting to think the owners are going to give him the season.

Euuuurggh- why? He was not that great at Spurs. 

I guess it depends what you meant by "battlers suited to the Pulis philosophy".

If you meant a short passing style and quick counter attacking then we are in complete agreement.

Pulis stops oppponents playing. He deploys genuine hard-cases and makes life as uncomfortable for them as he can - physically, mentally and without letting up. There's no wilting violets in a Pulis side and any opponent who wants to dance on the ball is asking for trouble.

Yes, when they get the bal there's at least some kind of attacking purpose and the weaponry to do some damage, quickly and without unnecessary elaboration.

Basically Pulis knows what he wants and gets it. There's no sign of any kind of evolutionary progess which might lift a team beyond the functionally effective but he certainly deserves respect for his ways because, given the material he's had to work with, the ways have  worked and quite dramatically at times.       

I'm not campaigning for a change but if one was made I'd not be against it. Now or later I don't think Pearson's shrewd enough tactically, nor some of the people around him. Even now we have too many basics that we don't do properly.

Really? Win percentage of 59% not great?

I thought it was 50%?  It is easy to get high winning percentage in first 20 or so matches but it gradually goes down. Pochettino has second best win percentage at the moment and AVB is 4th as well. Most of the managers who managed more than 100 games are lower in the table.

Anyway win percentage does not tell the full picture- Bill Nicholoson is ninth in the table yet he is the most successful manager in their history. You only need to look at how likes of Lamela,Chadli and Kane has kicked on this season to see how influential Pochettino is. Sherwood can't get best out of them.  

Pulis stops oppponents playing. He deploys genuine hard-cases and makes life as uncomfortable for them as he can - physically, mentally and without letting up. There's no wilting violets in a Pulis side and any opponent who wants to dance on the ball is asking for trouble.

Yes, when they get the bal there's at least some kind of attacking purpose and the weaponry to do some damage, quickly and without unnecessary elaboration.

Basically Pulis knows what he wants and gets it. There's no sign of any kind of evolutionary progess which might lift a team beyond the functionally effective but he certainly deserves respect for his ways because, given the material he's had to work with, the ways have  worked and quite dramatically at times.       

I'm not campaigning for a change but if one was made I'd not be against it. Now or later I don't think Pearson's shrewd enough tactically, nor some of the people around him. Even now we have too many basics that we don't do properly.

So do we agree or disagree? I'm not clear.

Pulis keeps teams in the Premier League. Perason won't (in my opinion and given we are bottom of the table after a third of the season).

I havent read through the whole thread , so bear with me if my point has been raised.

I think its a tradeoff between the immediate future, and the longterm future of the club.

Pulis has an excellent record of getting the best of what he has at his disposal, and may well keep us up. But at what cost? the loss of a successful, close knit backroom team and scouting network for one. After keeping us up, would he be here for the long haul? would he be the man to bring youth through, improve the team? what if the worst came to the worst and we went down? WOuld Pulis get us back up? he got Stoke up by being a largely physical, tough to beat and well drilled professional outfit.

I could probably suffer the immediate pain of a relegation with the knowledge the club is in good hands with Pearson, but in the immediate term, he looks like the man to take us down. So, would he be the man to lead another promotion push to the premiership where he would have failed once?

The club is at a huge crossroads right now, and im personally not sure which way the owners will look at it. Id stick with Pearson personally, but then again i dont stand to lose money.

Palace fan in peace

Pulis did well for us but bare in mind we had a a squad already built for playing counter attacking football we basically had players who love to defend, plus we were lucky to have good wingers, he only bought in 2 of his own players

There is no guarantee he would be able to do the same with another squad of players, I doubt Cambiaso would ever play again.

I went to the Palace Leicester game and I dont really see you as a Pulis side, you were half the size of our team and played alot more football.

Be careful what you wish for, he'll use you like he did us.

Palace fan in peace

Pulis did well for us but bare in mind we had a a squad already built for playing counter attacking football we basically had players who love to defend, plus we were lucky to have good wingers, he only bought in 2 of his own players

There is no guarantee he would be able to do the same with another squad of players, I doubt Cambiaso would ever play again.

I went to the Palace Leicester game and I dont really see you as a Pulis side, you were half the size of our team and played alot more football.

Be careful what you wish for, he'll use you like he did us.

The best thing that happened to your lot last year was not Pulis coming in but Holloway leaving.

Anyone could've looked like a genius after that clown.

The best thing that happened to your lot last year was not Pulis coming in but Holloway leaving.

Anyone could've looked like a genius after that clown.

Wow that very true, surprised anyone outside palace fans would know that

Holloway actually sat Damien Delaney down and told him to watch a barcelona video of them playing out from the back because thats what he wanted us to do!

He was a complete clown.

Wow that very true, surprised anyone outside palace fans would know that

Holloway actually sat Damien Delaney down and told him to watch a barcelona video of them playing out from the back because thats what he wanted us to do!

He was a complete clown.

Damien Delaney, what a reject he was... lol

Archived