Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Building/Re-building PC/Gaming Rig

Hi All,

This is a geeky subject, I know!

Current PC needs a bit of an upgrade and I'm going to finally take the plunge and swap out the case altogether (cooling is currently a major issue).

Do we have any experts on here? Anyone recommend a good value, but powerful MOBO/processor combination?

I'm sorted for graphics card (ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB). Do have 8gb of RAM I can recycle, which runs at 1333 (4x2gb).

Hard drives probably not a major issue.

Its the mobo/CPU I'm really a bit stuck on. I also need a monitor which is fairly stable (I hate the ones with crap stands) and good for gaming.

Finally, can anyone recommend a decent roomy case? I'm not too bothered about appearance.. I'm not that geeky and its not on display!

I built a gaming pc in September and used the NZXT Source 530 full tower. On the outside it just looks like a black box but it has a huge amount of space and has cable management on the inside of one of the side panels. It also has a window on the other side panel so you can see inside while it's running. Best thing is that its cheap, I couldn't find a full tower case for a lower price when I was looking for parts, and when it arrived I was very surprised with it's high build quality.

As for the motherboard and CPU, I've got the MSI Z97-G55 SLI Intel Socket 1150 and the i5-4690k. The motherboard allows for 2 way SLI and 3 way CrossFire and the CPU allows for easy overclocking, although it's great  at stock anyway. I've also got a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler because the stock Intel cooler isn't great, especially if your overclocking. 

Archived