Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
indierich06

Plex

Does anyone on here use it? I'm in the process of trying to set it all up for use in my home, looks like a great option for media streaming - you can more or less build up your own version of Netflix with it, really smart layout. Apps for PS4, Xbox One, Android phones etc.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else uses it, as could do with a bit of advice about how to get the best out of it anyway.

I think it's mainly used with chromecast, there's a thread about it in gen chat. I use an android box, like Netflix as you say, with tvmc

I've got an android box with XBMC for streaming stuff like the footie, but I find the interface a bit hard to use/annoying for watching tv shows and films - especially seeing as some streams are broken or unreliable. I've got a massive amount of media on my laptop and I download a lot of content on a weekly basis, so this should be a good way of organizing and streaming all the stuff I've got, as well as any new stuff I get going forward. 

Does anyone on here use it? I'm in the process of trying to set it all up for use in my home, looks like a great option for media streaming - you can more or less build up your own version of Netflix with it, really smart layout. Apps for PS4, Xbox One, Android phones etc.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else uses it, as could do with a bit of advice about how to get the best out of it anyway.

Plex is a great app. I'm looking for a solution to try and use it a bit more at home - looking toward a Roku 3 (got a separate thread on the subject). Anyone recommend or otherwise?

I mainly use it for streaming my (ahem, completely legally acquired) tv/movie collection. Really nice set up with chromecast and the mobile app is great.

What do you need help with? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yep love using plex  get my usa fix and films all lined up for me and the family  and i share my library with my lad who has it on his tablet and my bro who lives 200 mile away but can watch the stuff i have on my comp lol 

didnt have a smart t.v in the front room just a plain lcd  but picked up one of the cheap now tv boxes which is basically a roku and just sideloaded the plex app into it which is very simple and took 5 mins and now get plex in the living room. 

Another vote for Plex here.

I have mine set up as follows:

Bought myself an N54L HP microserver (think it was about £100 + a 3.5inch hard drive to go in it)

Installed some free NAS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage) software, the one I chose was called xpenology. So that gave me storage space I could access on my laptop through the wifi in the house, or access remotely a bit like dropbox.

This Xpenology system comes with the ability to install plex on it and load it up with films/tv/music etc. that I can then access on mobile/tablet/chromecast through the house or remotely via the internet if I'm not at home. It's an absolutely cracking bit of software, and very easy to use - fully recommend it to anyone considering something similar.

If anyone wants I can dig out some of the web guides I used to get it all set up and running.

Archived