Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

8 hours ago, Nalis said:

Is Newark on Trent decent for a day trip? 

Trying to meet people for a Saturday somewhere on the LNER line between York and Londonbut dont really know what the places are like on the stops between the two places.

Like what has already been said, it’s pretty small but decent enough. I went to an Indian which was excellent, Himalaya something.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Have been Alicante way for last week or so, sadly flying back in a couple of days, made worse by the snow lol

Nice, I like it up there. It was only last year I realised you can have a holiday in Alicante, I always thought it was just an airport lol

• Haha 1

Looks as if Christmas is looking ‘iffy’

We had family traveling to see us from Geneva and they would need to (under their rules) self isolate for 10 days when they get home…

This new variant is likely to play havoc with an already fragile travel sector

I wonder if my trip the USA is at risk for the New Year too?

I wouldn’t be in a rush to book anything until we get a better understanding of Omicron

5 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

We had family traveling to see us from Geneva and they would need to (under their rules) self isolate for 10 days when they get home…

I wouldn’t be in a rush to book anything until we get a better understanding of Omicron

I was hoping to finally go and see the family back home in Germany between Christmas and New Year, it has been 2 years. Our youngest was 4 months when we went and now she is 2 years on. However, the travel rules aside, it just doesn't seem a good idea to travel right now and am sure Germany will tighten a few rules for the next month or two.

Normally we could be more flexible but with the older one now in school, we don't really want to take him out (I know it's not a big deal but still). So stuck to book during school holidays. Maybe Easter break...

7 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

We're in no mans land at the moment.

It's frustrating to say the least but we have to guess, plan and put up with the consequences really. I have a trip booked to Copenhagen leaving on Friday and not confident of it going ahead but I've booked flights, parking, hotel, PCR tests and bought currency...

I also want to visit family in the new year in Switzerland who I haven't seen for 3 years, including my niece who I've never met, but so much uncertainty still.

7 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I was hoping to finally go and see the family back home in Germany between Christmas and New Year, it has been 2 years. Our youngest was 4 months when we went and now she is 2 years on. However, the travel rules aside, it just doesn't seem a good idea to travel right now and am sure Germany will tighten a few rules for the next month or two.

Normally we could be more flexible but with the older one now in school, we don't really want to take him out (I know it's not a big deal but still). So stuck to book during school holidays. Maybe Easter break...

Yep…. Being cautious is the best approach

it was looking far more positive, hence them booking the tickets, but, everything seems to have gone pear shaped since

They’re both in education and have 3 school age kids so self isolation is not an option. 

Such a shame as we were really looking forward to hosting them…

2 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

We're in no mans land at the moment.

It's frustrating to say the least but we have to guess, plan and put up with the consequences really. I have a trip booked to Copenhagen leaving on Friday and not confident of it going ahead but I've booked flights, parking, hotel, PCR tests and bought currency...

I also want to visit family in the new year in Switzerland who I haven't seen for 3 years, including my niece who I've never met, but so much uncertainty still.

Indeed…. Good luck with CPH…. It’s a great city !

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Yep…. Being cautious is the best approach

it was looking far more positive, hence them booking the tickets, but, everything seems to have gone pear shaped since

They’re both in education and have 3 school age kids so self isolation is not an option. 

Such a shame as we were really looking forward to hosting them…

Indeed…. Good luck with CPH…. It’s a great city !

Thanks, I’ve been a few times but taking Daughter and partner for the first time. 
And you’re right, it a great place. 
Does anyone know where I might watch the game on Sunday?

Edited by jgtuk

On 27/11/2021 at 17:18, FoxesDeb said:

Nice, I like it up there. It was only last year I realised you can have a holiday in Alicante, I always thought it was just an airport lol

I think its just a posh/embarrassed person's way of saying they are currently in Benidorm lol

No hate on the place btw, been many a time and met my fiance in the uber classy Champions bar lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I think its just a posh/embarrassed person's way of saying they are currently in Benidorm lol

No hate on the place btw, been many a time and met my fiance in the uber classy Champions bar lol

Maybe, although we found it worlds apart. Hated Benidorm, but that might be my age now :ph34r:

Admittedly we've only seen the bit of Alicante on the front, the marina, the main beach and the new pier bit. We actually had our honeymoon last year in Alicante, but to be fair it was in the middle of restrictions so it was chosen because it was easy lol 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Maybe, although we found it worlds apart. Hated Benidorm, but that might be my age now :ph34r:

Admittedly we've only seen the bit of Alicante on the front, the marina, the main beach and the new pier bit. We actually had our honeymoon last year in Alicante, but to be fair it was in the middle of restrictions so it was chosen because it was easy lol 

I used to live in Calpe (only for 18 months) back in the 80's and Alicante was underdeveloped as a resort then. To show off, ex-pats living in Benidorm did say they had a place in Alicante back then :D

The harbour was really quite nice then. Haven't ever been back so can't comment now.

Anyone seen any good deals for summer holiday 2022? Any websites with good offers etc? I’m debating between cheaper holiday in Europe or do everything myself and book to go to America. America was the original plan but country has become quite expensive now with prices on everything up over there. Wouldn’t mind Thailand but heard it can be pretty wet in August so it puts me off a bit. 

35 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

Not too posh, something nice to wine and dine the Mrs. 

I'd head to Brindley Place / Gas Street Basin (also known as the mailbox) from where you are staying. 

This is where the canals are just off Broad Street.

The bars at Mailbox / Gas Street Basin are quite nice - Noels, Gas Street Social, Penny Blacks, bit further down is the Gin Vault if you like that sort of thing. The Cube there is a Brazilian restaurant and a roof top Marco Pierre Whites. 

Brindley Place has some real good restaurants while nearer the canal/NIA are the chains but generally the clientele is notably better than Broad Street. 

When you walk from Broad Street to where the German Market is there is Dishroom which is great for food and the newly opened Albert Schoss (which if its like the one in Manchester, should be fun). 

In the centre, Temple Street and Bennetts Hill are the best places for bars - it's more of the chains but again somewhere like Revs de Cuba can be good fun. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

Anyone seen any good deals for summer holiday 2022? Any websites with good offers etc? I’m debating between cheaper holiday in Europe or do everything myself and book to go to America. America was the original plan but country has become quite expensive now with prices on everything up over there. Wouldn’t mind Thailand but heard it can be pretty wet in August so it puts me off a bit. 

May, June, July, August, September and the first part of October can be very wet in Thailand.  It is also prone to flooding. That's the bad news but the good news is that although it rains, the downpours last for an hour and then two hours later you would never know it happened.