Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

16 minutes ago, Raj said:

How many times will you check you've got your passport and ask the Mrs if you switched the hearing off and locked all the doors?😁🙄

Have a great holiday pal

Currently seven times.

But I've been through both my checklists and now thrown them away.

The kids have moved back in to share looking after the dogs chores so I don't have to worry about locked doors - just the heating being on for a fortnight and no light ever turned off. And all the food eaten. And probably three things broken, one of which will be expensive.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The kids have moved back in to share looking after the dogs chores so I don't have to worry about locked doors - just the heating being on for a fortnight and no light ever turned off. And all the food eaten. And probably three things broken, one of which will be expensive.

I'm now seeing your point......

I hope you have a gear time, once you arrive.

7 hours ago, slymunn said:

We are going to Paris in a couple of weeks with my son who is 10 months old.

Do people recon we are alright on public transport with a pushchair or is the carrier the best bet? 

You're assuming there'll be a Paris to visit? :D

5113 copy.jpg

On 08/03/2023 at 17:04, Daggers said:

I like Whitby out of season when the tides are up and whipping in the waves, all log fires and warm pubs with fresh fish and chips.

Next time you are in that area give me a shout. 

Enjoy your holiday old son!

• Like 2

On 14/03/2023 at 19:04, Stuntman_Mike said:

Finally booked Valencia after a bit of a delay!

Return East Midlands flights and match tickets for their game against Villarreal on 3rd May (hoping it don't get moved but took the risk) £100 each. 

Miss the Everton game too and we win when I'm away so happy days.

Fantastic. And what a price. Please report back on this thread when you’re back. Would love to see the Mestella 

• Like 1

Inflight films are gash, 5 hours gone, 8 hours to go - and the little girl behind me loves her light switch, kicking my seat, and belting out (what I’m reliably informed) are the highlights to Frozen. 

I would like to express my gratitude to the person who invented galley beer supplies. 

On 14/03/2023 at 19:04, Stuntman_Mike said:

Finally booked Valencia after a bit of a delay!

Return East Midlands flights and match tickets for their game against Villarreal on 3rd May (hoping it don't get moved but took the risk) £100 each. 

Miss the Everton game too and we win when I'm away so happy days.

I’m there end of June, appreciate any recommendations when you get back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Inflight films are gash, 5 hours gone, 8 hours to go - and the little girl behind me loves her light switch, kicking my seat, and belting out (what I’m reliably informed) are the highlights to Frozen. 

Just let it go :whistle:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fathead1981 said:

off to sri lanka for 10 days in a few weeks, travelling around the west and central parts, anyone been before and got any suggestions and also what clothes to pack as planning on being back packie trip which i have never done before and im 42!

I have been to Sri Lanka! I loved it, despite badly twisting my ankle shortly before going and getting the worst cough of my life courtesy of some bug I picked up out there! Highlights for me were probably Ella and Habarana. In Habarana we stayed at Cinnamon Lodge which was the priciest of our accommodation but well worth it. We did an elephant Safari from there which should not be missed. Just watch out for monkeys who like to steal your bags and climb up to the top of trees with them (talking from personal experience!!). Rather than staying in Colombo, on arrival we went up to Negombo for a couple of nights which is a coastal resort. We did a boat tour with Sarath Boat Tours and saw so much wildlife. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Any recommendations for the best places to stay in Ireland, outside of Belfast or Dublin, that can be reached by train?

Cork: Lively, characterful medium-sized city with good bars & less touristy than Dublin. Nearby Cobh has good museum about emigration & Titanic, if that's your sort of thing.

Galway: Another lively, characterful city, big on live music

Sligo: Nice, smaller town if you fancy somewhere quieter

Killarney: Town itself is a tourist trap, but beautiful countryside all around, easily accessible via bus or tours (e.g. Ring of Kerry)

If you fancy seeing a bit more remote countryside or coast, Bus Éireann will have local services from all the above. Likewise, DART local railway from Dublin takes you to some nice coastal places, esp. south on line to Bray.

Limerick has a castle but is a bit grim otherwise, though friendly people (similar for Tralee). I liked Derry, though it's not generally seen as a tourist/holiday destination. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fathead1981 said:

off to sri lanka for 10 days in a few weeks, travelling around the west and central parts, anyone been before and got any suggestions and also what clothes to pack as planning on being back packie trip which i have never done before and im 42!

Shorts and t's for the coastal areas and a jumper if you head inland. I went to Kandy and it was cold. Also, go on a trip down the Bentota gorge and visit a local village. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Cork: Lively, characterful medium-sized city with good bars & less touristy than Dublin. Nearby Cobh has good museum about emigration & Titanic, if that's your sort of thing.

Galway: Another lively, characterful city, big on live music

Sligo: Nice, smaller town if you fancy somewhere quieter

Killarney: Town itself is a tourist trap, but beautiful countryside all around, easily accessible via bus or tours (e.g. Ring of Kerry)

If you fancy seeing a bit more remote countryside or coast, Bus Éireann will have local services from all the above. Likewise, DART local railway from Dublin takes you to some nice coastal places, esp. south on line to Bray.

Limerick has a castle but is a bit grim otherwise, though friendly people (similar for Tralee). I liked Derry, though it's not generally seen as a tourist/holiday destination. 

As a 2013 Derry/Londonderry City of Culture ambassador, I'd beg to disagree (although I'm not sure if I really do). Does get a good number of tourists, just not as many as lots of other places. The train journey from Belfast to Derry is listed as one of the UK's best, though.

• Like 1