Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Pleasant few days in Vienna - most of our time spent in 6th and 7th quarters. The OH who due to a dairy allergy gets quite anxious about being abroad drinking and eating. Yet Friday we spent mostly getting sclossed. Saturday - Belvedere for Klimt and Monet, then a more traditional Austria food of storge and onto very expensive cocktails. Sunday - a good walk off to a vegetarian breakfast restaurant, then into St Stephan Platz when the shops are closed, some Before Sunrise location spotting and then off Wien Derby. Sunday nights always a problem with everything closed bar restaurants+bars. Monday morning went to Cafe Sperl, one of the traditional Viennese cafes - was brilliant and included the odd sight of 3 snooker tables!

It's my 2nd time and OH's 3rd. Unfairly gets labelled as quite 'boring' but bit of searching goes a long way. 

Few things

1) it's pricey 

2) not everywhere accepted card which I found odd post-COVID in Europe

3) There was a panic at the passport no control on the way back when the fella looked at my stamp from Nantes Airport a year ago to the day and thought I'd been travelling around EU visa-less for a year. The multiple European stamps from City last year put him into a tizz. 90 days travel permitted in last 6 months. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, rachhere said:

I have been to Sri Lanka! I loved it, despite badly twisting my ankle shortly before going and getting the worst cough of my life courtesy of some bug I picked up out there! Highlights for me were probably Ella and Habarana. In Habarana we stayed at Cinnamon Lodge which was the priciest of our accommodation but well worth it. We did an elephant Safari from there which should not be missed. Just watch out for monkeys who like to steal your bags and climb up to the top of trees with them (talking from personal experience!!). Rather than staying in Colombo, on arrival we went up to Negombo for a couple of nights which is a coastal resort. We did a boat tour with Sarath Boat Tours and saw so much wildlife. 

great thanks, we are in Negombo our 1st night then head to Kandy, Ella, Uwalewale, Galle then Colombo for a few days before hitting the Maldives for some R&R!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fathead1981 said:

great thanks, we are in Negombo our 1st night then head to Kandy, Ella, Uwalewale, Galle then Colombo for a few days before hitting the Maldives for some R&R!

Sounds perfect! We were there the wrong time of year for Galle, sadly. 

How busy is EMA early morning, security queues etc?

For the last 10 years (pre Covid and pre moving to England) we've always flown from Dublin and between 6 and 8am the place is rammed.  We therefore used to need to allow plenty of time for checking in and security, plus it's always miles to the gates. Although the USA pre clearance is superb.

Looking at EMA flights this morning and there were only 4 prior to 8am. I'm hoping it is therefore not that busy and queues aren't bad (If security is fully staffed). Can anyone confirm?

Going away used to involve leaving home at 12.30am, missing a nights sleep, to get a 6 or 7am flight. I was really looking forward to that being a thing of the past now we've EMA on the doorstep. But no, flight time has been changed to 5.45am, and we'll need to be getting ready at 2am. FFS!

Edited by FoyleFox

8 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

For the last 10 years (pre Covid and pre moving to England) we've always flown from Dublin and between 6 and 8am the place is rammed.  We therefore used to need to allow plenty of time for checking in and security, plus it's always miles to the gates. Although the USA pre clearance is superb.

Looking at EMA flights this morning and there were only 4 prior to 8am. I'm hoping it is therefore not that busy and queues aren't bad (If security is fully staffed). Can anyone confirm?

Going away used to involve leaving home at 12.30am, missing a nights sleep, to get a 6 or 7am flight. I was really looking forward to that being a thing of the past now we've EMA on the doorstep. But no, flight time has been changed to 5.45am, and we'll need to be getting ready at 2am. FFS!

Strangely I flew from EMA for the first time in years a few weekends ago. Arrived at the airport at 19.40, cleared security, doused myself with loads of duty free spray, walked to the gate and was sitting in my seat on the plane at 19.55 for take off at 20.25. This won't be a typical experience I know but it is a real tiny shed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Strangely I flew from EMA for the first time in years a few weekends ago. Arrived at the airport at 19.40, cleared security, doused myself with loads of duty free spray, walked to the gate and was sitting in my seat on the plane at 19.55 for take off at 20.25. This won't be a typical experience I know but it is a real tiny shed.

I love a small airport. My old local airport was City of Derry, 4 flights a day, on a busy day. Park right outside the door for a couple of quid, 5 minutes max for security, a minute walk from security to the one gate and the plane. I could do my house to my parents house in Leics in less than 3 hours. Marvellous.

Dublin was fine if you had a 8pm flight, different world in the early morning slot though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

EMA is brilliant  and a doddle.

We had an early flight last easter to Malta.

Probably queued longer  for the shuttle bus to tha airport from the car park than the security.

Another early flight to Menorca in April.

On 20/03/2023 at 11:29, Fathead1981 said:

off to sri lanka for 10 days in a few weeks, travelling around the west and central parts, anyone been before and got any suggestions and also what clothes to pack as planning on being back packie trip which i have never done before and im 42!

The elephant safari at minneriya near Dambulla was great. Kandy is an interesting place too and did a brilliant cooking class here if that’s your thing. 

We went in March and it was hot throughout, T-shirt weather. Travel was pretty easy to get to places as well, we did a combo of train and mostly taxis. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

My children fly from EM regularly and it’s never busy any time of day, the biggest complaint I get from them is that I insist they are there 90 minutes before their flight and it's too long

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Going to New York in September from Heathrow. Driving down anyone know what the best thing to do is re parking? Book a hotel and parking deal? 

Depends what time your flight is.

We did purple parking, very easy. 

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Going to New York in September from Heathrow. Driving down anyone know what the best thing to do is re parking? Book a hotel and parking deal? 

It will probably be a bit cheaper if you do a hotel and parking deal. 
I’m going down there in a few weeks and have booked the hotel and parking separately. I’ve got an early flight and wanted to stay at the hotel at the terminal I'm going from.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I would stay over (the thought of ‘risking’ travelling down on the day is giving me palpitations  - just need a breakdown of a bad accident and you are screwed!). Premier Inn Bath Road is a great option for a relatively cheap pre departure hotel. 

Cornwall next month-  staying in a swish apartment in Newquay for 5 days, going to drive Aston Martins.

Then 10 days in the lakes via Birmingham Black Country Living Museum.

I used to think UK holidays were boring!!-  they really aren't, they just need planning!

Edited by filthyfox
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I've never considered UK holidays to be boring as such, the two main issues are that the weather is unreliable and they're expensive. 

Agreed. Not boring, weather is terrible and the prices are insane. We are very lucky to have designated our country as the centre of the world, meaning travelling to anywhere on the planet is not too difficult and there are lots of options. Might as well take advantage of that. Although Aston Martins in Newquay sounds like loads of fun, enjoy that.

• Like 1

Having a week in Cornwall in July, and we're considering popping over to the Scilly Isles for a night while we're down that way. Anyone ever been to the Scilly Isles? It's quite expensive just getting over there so we're trying to decide if it's worth it just for 2 days and 1 night?

17 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Having a week in Cornwall in July, and we're considering popping over to the Scilly Isles for a night while we're down that way. Anyone ever been to the Scilly Isles? It's quite expensive just getting over there so we're trying to decide if it's worth it just for 2 days and 1 night?

Some friends have just got back from Tresco and liked it but had a nightmare getting there - they were booked on a Saturday morning flight from Newquay but all flights that day were cancelled due to the weather, they don't fly on Sundays and the carrier attempted 3 flights on Monday and only one of them landed in Scilly (the others returned to Newquay due to the weather). They liked the Scillys but actually preferred Mousehole where they ended up staying due to the flight cancellations.

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

Yeh, terrible. God be with you if you are willingly spending 2 days there, a day trip is more than sufficient

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

9.20 is chilled. There’s always deals on meet and greet and purple parking. Wouldn’t bother with a hotel, an extra night, extra pair of underwear etc to pack 

I dunno it’s our honeymoon so likely will stay the night before. Don’t want to be rushing down on the day. Was more looking for deals either hotel and parking or do it separately. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I've never considered UK holidays to be boring as such, the two main issues are that the weather is unreliable and they're expensive. 

I went to the lakes a few weeks ago and got very lucky with the weather. Arrived an hour before the snowstorm started and that was followed by blue skies for most of the time we were there.20230310_143448.thumb.jpg.c42d813b5ada0f5fa7f9ae3b10845c8d.jpg

• Like 2