Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

16 hours ago, Edingleyfox said:

If you go to Iceland and visit the Punk museum in Reykjavik mention you are a City fan and you will get a great welcome 

We gave him a scarf and he literally hugged us . I thought that he’d cottoned on during the title win, but his knowledge of city’s 70/80’s teams was incredible.

0ADA02EF-5CC9-4B9A-9DF3-77C1AF6D21E9.jpeg

• Like 2

We've just booked a month long road trip in September. We're driving up through Spain, along the south of France, through Italy and then into Croatia for a week. The route back will be similar, but staying in Venice on the way through and Lake Garda on the way back, and the same with Cannes and St Tropez. 

All courtesy of Eurocamp and for around £500 for the accommodation. We'll be able to tick off Barcelona, Tarragona, St Tropez, Nice, Cannes, Monte Carlo, Venice, Lake Garda and Verona, as well as the Adriatic coast in Slovenia and Croatia. 

I really can't wait already! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We've just booked a month long road trip in September. We're driving up through Spain, along the south of France, through Italy and then into Croatia for a week. The route back will be similar, but staying in Venice on the way through and Lake Garda on the way back, and the same with Cannes and St Tropez. 

All courtesy of Eurocamp and for around £500 for the accommodation. We'll be able to tick off Barcelona, Tarragona, St Tropez, Nice, Cannes, Monte Carlo, Venice, Lake Garda and Verona, as well as the Adriatic coast in Slovenia and Croatia. 

I really can't wait already! 

If you can find some time for Trento and some of the surrounding mountains and valleys, then do it. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

If you can find some time for Trento and some of the surrounding mountains and valleys, then do it. 

Thanks, I've just had a look and Trento is only an hour from where we're staying at Lake Garda and we're there for 4 days so we'll definitely make time. It's on the itinerary :thumbup:

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, I've just had a look and Trento is only an hour from where we're staying at Lake Garda and we're there for 4 days so we'll definitely make time. It's on the itinerary :thumbup:

You should. Trento and Rovereto are nice towns and some of the scenery is incredible. Friendly people too, if a little reserved. 

Had a great trip to Barbados and Jamaica but how absolutely shite is it having to wait in a deserted airport waiting for the flight back home. No shops open, no bars or restaurants open. Yawn. 

Already looking forward to the trip to Milan in June :D

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Had a great trip to Barbados and Jamaica but how absolutely shite is it having to wait in a deserted airport waiting for the flight back home. No shops open, no bars or restaurants open. Yawn. 

How was barbados???

Where in jamaica did you go? Was there 2 years ago in montego bay.

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

I'm off to Barbados in March, watching the 2nd cricket test. Have been once before, great place to visit & locals are so friendly. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

How was barbados???

Where in jamaica did you go? Was there 2 years ago in montego bay.

Amazing. Chose Barbados to do more of the exploring as its a smaller island so quicker to get around. 

Would recommend visiting St Nicholas Abbey, Cherry Tree Hill, Magnetic Hill*, Mount Gay Rum distillery, Bathsheba, Bridgetown as capital obviously, Rihanna's house where she grew up and 100% everyone should go to Oistins Fish Fry. 

That fish fry is famed in Barbados and there's loads of fish stalls or shacks, grilled catches of the day. I tried swordfish and it was heaven. Well worth a visit. 

*Magnetic Hill is mad. We drive up a hill, there's a slight dip. Our tour guide didn't tell us at first what she was going to do. She stopped the minibus so it was on going downhill on a slight decline. Puts it in neutral. And it starts moving BACKWARDS UP THE HILL. We were literally all like 'sorry what the fvck is happening?!'. So she did it again and it did the same thing. It's crazy. 

Jamaica we also stayed in Montego Bay at Sandals. Loved every minute of it. Like all of the above for Barbados, the one thing to definitely do in Jamaica is Dunn's River Waterfalls. You get a tour guide who takes up climbing up the waterfall and you can get fully immersed in the fresh natural springs, which is great fun. Bit of a long drive to there from Mobay but well worth it. 

On the drive there we went past the school where Usain Bolt went to and also the village where Bob Marley grew up. 

One thing I love about both countries and islands is just how chill and happy everyone is. Everyone so friendly and fun-loving. There's no stress and no drama. Both beautiful countries. 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

I'm off to Barbados in March, watching the 2nd cricket test. Have been once before, great place to visit & locals are so friendly. 

Enjoy! One thing I'd have loved to do but dates didn't work out - West Indies played Ireland in Kingston but we couldn't go. 

Drove past Kensington Oval, looks like a lovely little ground. 

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

Amazing. Chose Barbados to do more of the exploring as its a smaller island so quicker to get around. 

Would recommend visiting St Nicholas Abbey, Cherry Tree Hill, Magnetic Hill*, Mount Gay Rum distillery, Bathsheba, Bridgetown as capital obviously, Rihanna's house where she grew up and 100% everyone should go to Oistins Fish Fry. 

That fish fry is famed in Barbados and there's loads of fish stalls or shacks, grilled catches of the day. I tried swordfish and it was heaven. Well worth a visit. 

*Magnetic Hill is mad. We drive up a hill, there's a slight dip. Our tour guide didn't tell us at first what she was going to do. She stopped the minibus so it was on going downhill on a slight decline. Puts it in neutral. And it starts moving BACKWARDS UP THE HILL. We were literally all like 'sorry what the fvck is happening?!'. So she did it again and it did the same thing. It's crazy. 

Jamaica we also stayed in Montego Bay at Sandals. Loved every minute of it. Like all of the above for Barbados, the one thing to definitely do in Jamaica is Dunn's River Waterfalls. You get a tour guide who takes up climbing up the waterfall and you can get fully immersed in the fresh natural springs, which is great fun. Bit of a long drive to there from Mobay but well worth it. 

On the drive there we went past the school where Usain Bolt went to and also the village where Bob Marley grew up. 

One thing I love about both countries and islands is just how chill and happy everyone is. Everyone so friendly and fun-loving. There's no stress and no drama. Both beautiful countries. 

Nice. Yea we loved montego bay. We stayed at rose hall suites as we had kids so couldn't do adults only resort.

Stilll thinking my next trip will be Trinidad and tobago. Plan on visiting wifes extended family there etc.

Barbados is somewhere i want to go one day. 

Glad you had a good time! Baby stansp in 9 months timem

• Haha 1

On 10/01/2022 at 15:11, Costock_Fox said:

Booked Santorini in May. Any tips?

Lucky bastard, my stay in Santorini was up there as the best holiday I've ever had, easily the most relaxing place I've ever visited. No nightclubs or chavs or anything

Tips: if you're there for a week or more, take the boat trip which includes the walk around the volcano island and ends with dinner on Therasia - the little western island of Santorini. The island is basically 4 or 5 little cafes/restaurants on the harbour, and a cliff face up to the few homes and a large farm. The island has only had electricity for 20 or so years, it's really quaint

Fira is the larger town, nice place with loads of little shops and alleyways. Oia is the town you've seen on all the stock photos and postcards - the cliff face chock full of beautiful restaurants, everything neatly rendered in pristine white. It's exactly how it looks in photos. 

I stayed in Perissa (nearly 10 years ago) and got caught out by a tourist-trap restaurant on the first night - can't remember what it was called, but if there's a table of English speakers near the front that are vocal about how good the food is when you walk past, it's probably a trick. Most of the other meals we had around Perissa were great though - especially a restaurant called Sirocco (which appears to still be open) where I had easily the best mezze I've ever had, and one of the best meals out I've ever had. There might well be other places as good because Greek cuisine is generally brilliant, but it looked so nondescript that I was really taken by surprise how great it was. As with most Greek places, if you tip they'll bring a little ice cream or something to you. I tipped quite generously and they brought a few shots of this honey liqueur as a thank you - made the walk back to the hotel quite interesting

Stray cats and dogs are very common across the island but all the ones I encountered were totally friendly. Oia in particular, however it's usually so warm that they're asleep a lot of the time.

I'd recommend hiring out a car/motorcycle so you can explore the island at your own pace - it's only about 20 miles from the very north to the south and when I went, the bus service was fine and really cheap but I felt like I should have hired a car like when I went to Rhodes.

How long you going for, and where are you staying?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Lucky bastard, my stay in Santorini was up there as the best holiday I've ever had, easily the most relaxing place I've ever visited. No nightclubs or chavs or anything

Tips: if you're there for a week or more, take the boat trip which includes the walk around the volcano island and ends with dinner on Therasia - the little western island of Santorini. The island is basically 4 or 5 little cafes/restaurants on the harbour, and a cliff face up to the few homes and a large farm. The island has only had electricity for 20 or so years, it's really quaint

Fira is the larger town, nice place with loads of little shops and alleyways. Oia is the town you've seen on all the stock photos and postcards - the cliff face chock full of beautiful restaurants, everything neatly rendered in pristine white. It's exactly how it looks in photos. 

I stayed in Perissa (nearly 10 years ago) and got caught out by a tourist-trap restaurant on the first night - can't remember what it was called, but if there's a table of English speakers near the front that are vocal about how good the food is when you walk past, it's probably a trick. Most of the other meals we had around Perissa were great though - especially a restaurant called Sirocco (which appears to still be open) where I had easily the best mezze I've ever had, and one of the best meals out I've ever had. There might well be other places as good because Greek cuisine is generally brilliant, but it looked so nondescript that I was really taken by surprise how great it was. As with most Greek places, if you tip they'll bring a little ice cream or something to you. I tipped quite generously and they brought a few shots of this honey liqueur as a thank you - made the walk back to the hotel quite interesting

Stray cats and dogs are very common across the island but all the ones I encountered were totally friendly. Oia in particular, however it's usually so warm that they're asleep a lot of the time.

I'd recommend hiring out a car/motorcycle so you can explore the island at your own pace - it's only about 20 miles from the very north to the south and when I went, the bus service was fine and really cheap but I felt like I should have hired a car like when I went to Rhodes.

How long you going for, and where are you staying?

Thanks for this. We are there for a week and staying on the southern part quite near the lighthouse with views over the volcano which looks pretty special.

Definitely going to hire a car, boat trips look a must so I’ll check that one out thank you.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 14:32, Manini said:

Any recommendations for Budapest please - mainly good bars and restaurants. 

If you're a fan of goulash I'd recommend Hungarikum Bisztro. Get booked in before you go though. 

Széchenyi Spa is defintely worth doing.

The ruin bars are all great fun for a night out. Blue Bird Karaoke rooms are fun if you fancy a sing song. 

The e-scooters are great for getting around. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Nice. Yea we loved montego bay. We stayed at rose hall suites as we had kids so couldn't do adults only resort.

Stilll thinking my next trip will be Trinidad and tobago. Plan on visiting wifes extended family there etc.

Barbados is somewhere i want to go one day. 

Glad you had a good time! Baby stansp in 9 months timem

In all honesty, I hope not lollol 

A question for you when you visited Montego Bay - what were your thoughts on Americans that visited there? Presumably there were quite a lot if our resort was anything to go by?

Reason I ask is because for the amount of Americans we saw at the hotel, most of them were extremely rude, abrupt and blunt towards the staff? Almost with a 'I'm the boss of you, you'll do what I say' kind of attitude. Uncomfortable amount of times I heard them say to say 'get me this, get me that' etc... Just because it's all-inclusive and the hotel will tend to every need they may have, it was still a little disturbing how rude they can be. What's wrong with just politely asking someone for something. I don't want to make it a race thing as there's not really 'evidence' of it, but it's old white Americans bossing around younger all-black staff around, genuinely a 'master to slave' kind of culture being displayed.