Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

In all honesty, I hope not lollol 

A question for you when you visited Montego Bay - what were your thoughts on Americans that visited there? Presumably there were quite a lot if our resort was anything to go by?

Reason I ask is because for the amount of Americans we saw at the hotel, most of them were extremely rude, abrupt and blunt towards the staff? Almost with a 'I'm the boss of you, you'll do what I say' kind of attitude. Uncomfortable amount of times I heard them say to say 'get me this, get me that' etc... Just because it's all-inclusive and the hotel will tend to every need they may have, it was still a little disturbing how rude they can be. What's wrong with just politely asking someone for something. I don't want to make it a race thing as there's not really 'evidence' of it, but it's old white Americans bossing around younger all-black staff around, genuinely a 'master to slave' kind of culture being displayed.

Well, it's a multifaceted issue I suppose. Being Canadian we are known for (mostly) being overly nice, always saying thank you and sorry even if it's not our fault.  Heck I've said sorry to someone whose said sorry to me lol

We are a different breed up here but there are many kind, sharing and loving communities in the states where everyone is nice like your typical canadian stereotype. I've witnessed it in various places I've been in America and from colleagues where we have american offices etc.

What's interesting is that unfortunately Americans have a bad rep for travel abroad and i can't tell you how many times locals have told me this no matter where I visit. "Thank god you're not americans".  We just giggle at it but it is a thing. I don't like to group all people into one basket because there are always w@nkers no matter where you are from (including us "sorry" Canadians). But, in every "resort" I've been to in the caribbean it's always the Americans that seem to complain more openly or loudly. Or seem to lack etiquette while out. Again, I suspect a few spoil it for many and this held true at the resort in montego bay.  They definitely speak up for what they want, need, believe and don't give a fook what others think lol. Sometimes that's good, others not.

The american way follows no matter where they go lol. I have to say though, i see similar things from your typical chav-y brits (hate using the word chav). They tell us Canadians that when we travel abroad to always wear Canadian flag stuff so we dont get confused with yanks. It is said for a reason lol.

I will say 1 last thing, i notice this in my cousins who live in America. More rough around the edges when out and aboot.

I totally expect hate mail and responses from my american foxes community. But these guys are the nice ones i talk about. Lol its all love..somehow. :)

On 18/01/2022 at 13:26, Big Dave said:

We fancy going to Montenegro in May.

anyone been and has any recommendations?

Thinking about staying in or near Kotor.

No recommendations in particular, but it is a stunning country. We stayed in Ulcinj, right near the Albanian border. 2 hour journey from the airport in Podgorica via coach, but could have stayed for an hour longer just looking out of the window.

Didn't go to Kotor but stayed in an area called Waterfront City  in the Perast region its only 15km or so from Kotor.

The Waterfront Perast is a little strip off the main E80/E65 with plenty of restaurants that have their own dedicated table space right on the bays edge. There are a number of small hotels, guest houses & apartments along with at least 2 larger hotels The Hotel Conte & The Iberostar Heritage Grand, both are grand 18th Century buildings (as our most down there) but are ultra modern inside. I stayed at the Iberostar which was just fantastic, big rooms, Spa & their pool is also on the bays edge so you can hop in & out from pool to bay & sun yourself with no interupted views of the bay & mountains beyond, all the other hotels had their pools tucked away within their tight grounds so can't comment on views or their pools.

The area was busy'ish during the day with day trippers for Our Lady of the Rocks visits but nothing to stop me relaxing & come the evening it was just people staying in the area & plenty of places to cater for all, that said if you want a mad pub crawl Kotor might be the place, it was just the misses & myself & i just wanted to do nothing.

I went 1st week of June & weather was cracking so should be good in May also, how you getting there? I flew into Dubrovnik picked up a car drove to the old town/Kings landing then headed out of Dubrovnik & over the border, it was really simple although they are not very fast operators at either border control but i didn't fancy flying into Montenegro itself as not many of the main airlines go direct if at all.

I know it's not Kotor but i loved Montenegro, great people, food & beers not much to not like there.

On 17/01/2022 at 14:36, Wolfox said:

Ooh…. Considering a Villa in a quiet part of Zante…. Getting excited as I had my honeymoon there and I know the guy renting it…

3 bed villa with pool and view over the Ionian Sea for £210 a night - feels pretty reasonable…

Now booked…. Zante here I come…. Got 11 days back end of July

Recommend it highly and I know the owner if anyone fancies a nice holiday, it’s selling out fast and only been listed for a week….   Think he has the first two weeks of August still going…

https://www.facebook.com/lemongrovevilla/

Edited by Wolfox

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Recommend it highly and I know the owner if anyone fancies a nice holiday, it’s selling out fast and only been listed for a week….   Think he has the first two weeks of August still going…

I can’t do this year but it’s definitely something I would be interested in summer 2023.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfox said:

21 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I can’t do this year but it’s definitely something I would be interested in summer 2023.

For that price you can rent my villa with a pool, I'll move out while you're here! 

I’ve not been but very nearly booked this before booking Greece, looks amazing.

4 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

For that price you can rent my villa with a pool, I'll move out while you're here! 

Do my family have to pay extra for you to hang around and serve us Sangria???

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only who thought this was quite expensive lol 

Greece innit…. A scan of Airbnb made it clear that we’d not get anything like this place <£300 a night

Having 3 rug munchers is a blessing and an expense curse!

An old school mate has invited me to his wedding in America this summer. Anyone know what the VISA process is like to travel from the UK to US these days?

I last went around 15 years ago so thought it be nice. But just wondering with the covid situation as well whether I'd even get it in time! 

8 hours ago, TK95 said:

An old school mate has invited me to his wedding in America this summer. Anyone know what the VISA process is like to travel from the UK to US these days?

I last went around 15 years ago so thought it be nice. But just wondering with the covid situation as well whether I'd even get it in time! 

It’s dead easy…. I travel there to work quite often (or did!!!)

you need an ESTA

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Has anyone been to Norway? Would love to go there 

I've been a few times - Bergen, Oslo, Stavangar, Trondheim and way up round the north to Spitzbergen.

Very pleasant, clean, expensive, nice people. A bit samey if truth be told, but nice enough.

For what it's worth, I reckon the best way to see Norway is by boat - It's a weird shaped country and mostly coastline, plus you'll be able to get into all the fjords - most of which are pretty spectacular.      

And obviously go in the summer! Midnight sun is great!

Edited by Milo

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I used to work there quite often…. Lovely people and amazing scenery 

Oslo is cool…. But, done in a day (two tops).  Munch Museum and Opera house were highlights along with just wondering round and finding a nice coffee shop

Hamar was nice…. Lovely in the summer with a huge lake…. Coast is amazing

i didn’t get too far up north, but, would love to go back

Cruise from Oslo to Copenhagen is good fun too!

On 21/01/2022 at 18:18, Milo said:

Just impulsively booked a family holiday in Crete for April without consulting the wife. 

Wise? 

I’ve just done the same, wife’s 40th so I booked Mexico for 10 days.

I’d like it to be a surprise but I’ll have to tell her so she can arrange her shifts. Not sure if she will be happy or angry. Pray for me.

• Haha 1

On 21/01/2022 at 18:24, Unabomber said:

A few years ago I started my holiday in Tromso and travelled down through Sweden, probably my favourite ever holiday even though it was about -30 for most of it.

Tromso is stunning. We then drove about 50 miles north and to Narvik which looked equally as nice. I’ll go back someday soon and do Lofoten Islands.

Guest Kopfkino

Got a few trips booked or in the planning

10 day Ireland road trip - I’ve never been so looking forward to it, should be good fun and the landscapes where land meets seas look so good.

Switzerland and Northern Italy Rail trip in September for 2-3 weeks - bit of hiking, a bit of the lakes and lots of food

The Carpathians in Slovakia and Romania for a few days - hopefully to at least glimpse a bear, a wolf or a lynx and see a landscape not decimated by industrial farming or the Common Agricultural Policy.

Hoping to maybe fit something else in too, possibly Edinburgh for the fringe as we did before the pandemic but also might just go Portugal for a few weeks with my laptop so I can work in the sun

6 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Got a few trips booked or in the planning

10 day Ireland road trip - I’ve never been so looking forward to it, should be good fun and the landscapes where land meets seas look so good.

Switzerland and Northern Italy Rail trip in September for 2-3 weeks - bit of hiking, a bit of the lakes and lots of food

The Carpathians in Slovakia and Romania for a few days - hopefully to at least glimpse a bear, a wolf or a lynx and see a landscape not decimated by industrial farming or the Common Agricultural Policy.

Hoping to maybe fit something else in too, possibly Edinburgh for the fringe as we did before the pandemic but also might just go Portugal for a few weeks with my laptop so I can work in the sun

And Im sat here on 20 days holiday all year

• Haha 2

On 19/01/2022 at 17:22, BKLFox said:

Didn't go to Kotor but stayed in an area called Waterfront City  in the Perast region its only 15km or so from Kotor.

The Waterfront Perast is a little strip off the main E80/E65 with plenty of restaurants that have their own dedicated table space right on the bays edge. There are a number of small hotels, guest houses & apartments along with at least 2 larger hotels The Hotel Conte & The Iberostar Heritage Grand, both are grand 18th Century buildings (as our most down there) but are ultra modern inside. I stayed at the Iberostar which was just fantastic, big rooms, Spa & their pool is also on the bays edge so you can hop in & out from pool to bay & sun yourself with no interupted views of the bay & mountains beyond, all the other hotels had their pools tucked away within their tight grounds so can't comment on views or their pools.

The area was busy'ish during the day with day trippers for Our Lady of the Rocks visits but nothing to stop me relaxing & come the evening it was just people staying in the area & plenty of places to cater for all, that said if you want a mad pub crawl Kotor might be the place, it was just the misses & myself & i just wanted to do nothing.

I went 1st week of June & weather was cracking so should be good in May also, how you getting there? I flew into Dubrovnik picked up a car drove to the old town/Kings landing then headed out of Dubrovnik & over the border, it was really simple although they are not very fast operators at either border control but i didn't fancy flying into Montenegro itself as not many of the main airlines go direct if at all.

I know it's not Kotor but i loved Montenegro, great people, food & beers not much to not like there.

That sounds great - thanks.

Myself, the wife and 2 teenage daughters.  We like thinks fairly quite and chilled.  Nice restaurants at night, not noisy bars.  Sounds ideal.

We were looking at flying in to Kotor, but will also look at Dubrovnik.  Have flown in to Dubrovnik a couple of times.  We stayed than at a place called Cavtat - lovely little coastal town.

11 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

If you're in that region and using public transport, there is a 'Sudtirol Pass' which allows you 7 days travel on public transport in South Tyrol, and parts of Trentino and Lombardia. I believe it also extends to parts of Austria and Switzerland near the border. very cheap.

South Tyrol is incredible, some of the landscapes look too perfect to be real.