Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

35 minutes ago, Raj said:

Yes @FoxesDeb

finally got here after all the cufferful!!!

Based at Dolmen hotel in Buggida.

Let me have your recommendations  if you get spare time please for Malta.

Got a few things in my head like Valetta, Mdina/Rabat,Golden Sands beach.

Thinking of Gozo but is it doable in public transport?

Re Gozo yes.... you can also just walk on to the ferry. Go there, it is worth it. On the main island, Mellieha has a really great, safe beach too, called Ghadira Bay.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Raj said:

Yes @FoxesDeb

finally got here after all the cufferful!!!

Based at Dolmen hotel in Buggida.

Let me have your recommendations  if you get spare time please for Malta.

Got a few things in my head like Valetta, Mdina/Rabat,Golden Sands beach.

Thinking of Gozo but is it doable in public transport?

This is copied from a previous post, all those years ago when this trip was planned! I'm so happy you've finally got there, have an amazing time :)

Valletta is obviously amazing, you should try and get to the upper gardens at midday when they fire the cannons. The war museum in Valletta is superb, as is St John's Co cathedral. 

Marsaxlokk is well worth a visit, lovely fishing village with plenty of great restaurants. Near there is the Blue Grotto, take the boat trip into the caves, it's stunning. 

If you can take the ferry over to Gozo, it's a couple of euros each. You don't buy a ticket on the way there, just board the ferry, you pay on the way back, just buy the tickets from the terminal on Gozo. The Citadel in Victoria is beautiful. The hop on hop off bus is a good option for Gozo, they pick up right outside the ferry terminal. Haggle with them though! 

Mdina in Malta is also a must visit, as is the cathedral at Mosta. 

If there's a fiesta on while you're there go! They're fab, lots of food, music and fab fireworks, Malta has about 30 fireworks factories, they love them! 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

May 29 this year isn’t bank holiday if that’s what you mean. We’ve got the double bank holiday on Thursday and Friday 2/3 June due to queen jubilee 

I mean 29th April. As in next week lol returning on 2nd which is a bank holiday. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Currently in Bruges. 

Has anyone hired out a bike to visit the city ramparts (De Vesten), or walked it ? 

Also, any other recommendations ? Thanks in advance. 

Train to Ghent is worth doing. Were you after bar/restaurant recommendations too? 

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Train to Ghent is worth doing. Were you after bar/restaurant recommendations too? 

Bar, restaurant recommendations would be great. 

I understand there are some interesting basement/celler type bars ? 

11 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Bar, restaurant recommendations would be great. 

I understand there are some interesting basement/celler type bars ? 

Yeah there are Le Trappiste is a good cellar bar which is near the main square. There is another called t poatersgat which is very cool and had a tiny entrance and is very easy to miss. That is on the way to a great place called ribs n beer for food (it is all you can eat ribs but they do other things too). Best restaurant we have been to there is called Park.

Other good bars are:

Bieratelier

Cafe Rose Red

2be Beer wall

Staminee De Garre.

23 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah there are Le Trappiste is a good cellar bar which is near the main square. There is another called t poatersgat which is very cool and had a tiny entrance and is very easy to miss. That is on the way to a great place called ribs n beer for food (it is all you can eat ribs but they do other things too). Best restaurant we have been to there is called Park.

Other good bars are:

Bieratelier

Cafe Rose Red

2be Beer wall

Staminee De Garre.

That's great. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

15 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I swear you and Bruges is just like Candyman being summoned whenever someone mentioned his name.  

• Haha 1

It's gonna be my first visit to Rome. 

I'm looking at Colosseum tickets, first off loads of places to buy them so not sure what site is the best option but also is going on the floor worth the extra money?

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

It's gonna be my first visit to Rome. 

I'm looking at Colosseum tickets, first off loads of places to buy them so not sure what site is the best option but also is going on the floor worth the extra money?

We went a few years back. Booked tickets in advance online for all the big tourist attractions but I can't remember where from. Just google it and there's loads, as you say. There may be a trustpilot rating for said sites. Whichever place we went to, there were loads of different groups that were booked in from all over the world each with their own guides.

Rome is a fantastic place especially if you like history. Independent bars and restaurants are excellent. If you have time, visit the many free tourist spots that are steeped in history. The Colosseum is so atmospheric. We also visited the Vatican. Would recommend the Roman forum as well. You really can't go wrong with anywhere "touristy" but there's plenty of things to see that cost nothing.

Have a good time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raj said:

Back from Mslta after a 3 year wait!!!

Great place, stunning scenery, nice people, wonderful weather!

Loved it. Thanks to peoples advice.

Did anyone check the kids PCR results? 

25 minutes ago, Raj said:

Back from Mslta after a 3 year wait!!!

Great place, stunning scenery, nice people, wonderful weather!

Loved it. Thanks to peoples advice.

I'm so glad you loved it, I want to hear all about it when you get time please :)

16 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm so glad you loved it, I want to hear all about it when you get time please :)

You asked for it!!!...

We were based at dolmen hotel in Buggida, which is a decent base actually as the bus stop was a 5 min walk!

We used the buses except for the transfers to and from the airport.

Due to the VERY early start on Sunday we just zombied out, but Monday we wandered into Buggida area and walked along the promenade into the town and then upto the aquarium so pretty chilled out.

Tuesday- Valletta which is a lovely city with its lovely little streets and some beautiful architecture. Saw the canons blasting at 12 and 4 from the upper gardens!

Wednesday  was to golden bay! Nearly as good as Skegness!!!!! Truely stunning with bea6 sand and my youngest stayed in the sea most of the day. Bigger balls than me as I found ot freezing!!!

Thursday was Mdina and Rabat. WOW! You dont see towns like that anywhere back home!

Weve never seen game of thrones but can imagine alot of films being located there.

Did the catacombs  tour as my son loves that sort of stuff. Again, lovely architecture and scenery.

Friday we ventured to Gozo  on the ferry and went to Victoria  for a couple of hours before getting the bus to Rambla Bay!

Again both places were  stunning for different reasons. There  was a market on in Victoria so that was nice. Rambla Bay was gorgeous, especially  weird to see a religious monument on the beach!

The ferry trip over etc was all a good adventure  for the kids!

Last full day on Saturday  so went to Spinola bay  for a wander around. The harbour is very quaint and its abit like a poor mans St Tropez!!! Saw 3 McLarens being revved up bt c0cks,as well as Ferraris etc.

The water there is SO clear with all the little fishes!

We just sat there for a few hours reading and people watching, it was a nice day.

Loved Malta, really lovely chilled out place.

Early flight Sunday and back home yesterday at 5 to put 2 washes on!!!

Back to reality!!!

• Like 3

Hey get this… to fly direct  from charlotte North Carolina to Heathrow is about $1500. To get a one stop flight finishing up in Manchester is about $1000. BUT. One of those places you stop at is either Berlin, Dublin or Heathrow. If I get  get my own baggage at the one stop flight that stops at Heathrow , can’t I just leave the airport obviously after going through security  and save myself $500? There’s only two airlines that fly out of charlotte to Heathrow and they are Delta and American Airlines and I’m 100% sure none of them  fly from London to Manchester so I’d be switching airlines for sure so I’d have to get my own bags right?

or am I missing something?

Edited by MPH

9 hours ago, Strokes said:

Has anyone been to chichen itza before? Is it worth it?

Currently in Mexico and about a 6 hour round trip, the wife and the kids don’t fancy it but I feel like it would be a massive missed opportunity. So I might go on my own.

Never been but its world famous, like going to Peru and not bothering with Macchu Pichu isnt it? Convince them to go!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2022 at 08:40, Unabomber said:

Other good bars are:

Bieratelier

Cafe Rose Red

2be Beer wall

Staminee De Garre.

Ribs and Beer the night before our CL game was top draw. 👌 

• Like 1