Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

I’m having a bit of a mare tbh.

just a warning to others,although things are relaxing.

Got v mild covid a week or 2 before I flew to Singapore.2 days of a fine line.Felt well,I would never had known unless I did the old throat and nose test.Nose only was negative.

Too late for a recovery certificate,but thought to be on the safe side I would take a more sensitive PCR rather that an Antigen ,which is needed for Singapore.

Thinking if positive (dead cells) I can cancel the holiday on insurance.

All was good,having a great time.

We were off to Bali and Lombok needing a PCR.

piece of piss I thought.You guessed it.Positive,I’m stuck in a hotel albeit a nice one for 72 hours,I took an Antigen straight away.Negative,I’m so pissed off.

Stuck in Singapore even after recovery ( midnight tonight)No flights to Bali

Thought I was doing the wisest thing before travelling.Timings were so bad .

Just be wary of Multi Centre testing as obviously tests vary.

Any recommendations for anyone who has been and did anything slightly different ,I’ve been twice before which isn’t helping.

On 24/04/2022 at 19:25, Parafox said:

We went a few years back. Booked tickets in advance online for all the big tourist attractions but I can't remember where from. Just google it and there's loads, as you say. There may be a trustpilot rating for said sites. Whichever place we went to, there were loads of different groups that were booked in from all over the world each with their own guides.

Rome is a fantastic place especially if you like history. Independent bars and restaurants are excellent. If you have time, visit the many free tourist spots that are steeped in history. The Colosseum is so atmospheric. We also visited the Vatican. Would recommend the Roman forum as well. You really can't go wrong with anywhere "touristy" but there's plenty of things to see that cost nothing.

Have a good time.

Going to Rome in July for a long weekend and looking for stuff to do. 

How long did you spend in the Colosseum and the Vatican? 

Want to be able to fit in as much as possible and maybe a day trip to Florence / Pisa. 

On 27/04/2022 at 03:12, Strokes said:

Has anyone been to chichen itza before? Is it worth it?

Currently in Mexico and about a 6 hour round trip, the wife and the kids don’t fancy it but I feel like it would be a massive missed opportunity. So I might go on my own.

Whereabouts are you? I know Mexico well as my wife is from there.

I'd say it's probably worth travelling 3 hours for, albeit it's full of souvenir hawkers and i wasn't as blown away as i thought i'd be, however, i've been to countless Mexican ruins so probably have a lower threshold for being impressed. I preferred Uxmal, but assuming you're on the Caribbean coast, that's even further away.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

Want to be able to fit in as much as possible and maybe a day trip to Florence / Pisa. 

We went for a long weekend too. The tours through the Colosseum and the Vatican were guided and lasted about 2 hours each. At the end we were able to spend time outside looking at the areas outside the sites but that's optional. Those were the only 2 paid guided tours we did. The rest of the time was spent visiting other sites likes the Trevi Fountain, Palatine Hill, took a bus tour and visited the Roman Forum. We found we were able to see/do lots, with time to spare.

1 hour ago, Wrighty22 said:

Rome is brilliant, alongside Barcelona as the only places in Europe worth visiting, Monaco as well at a push. I did a day trip to Florence when we went, v easy. You’ve got a few thousand from here going next week that can feedback! 

2 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Having been to Florence and Pisa last month, choose Florence over Pisa all day long.

On 27/04/2022 at 04:12, Strokes said:

Has anyone been to chichen itza before? Is it worth it?

Currently in Mexico and about a 6 hour round trip, the wife and the kids don’t fancy it but I feel like it would be a massive missed opportunity. So I might go on my own.

I lived and travelled every state of Mexico, and was married there…40 years ago.

Grab your family & tell them to go with you..Chichen Itza..

Travelling there,being part of the journey,seeing experiencing land and the different

people.learning history & the nature around. Fortunately I spent 2 weeks around this area 4 months alone in the Yucatan…

Indigenous people are proud & don’t really recognise Mexiko, Their homes & villages,were the cleanest I have ever seen..Most of the towns also.

At the tip you can go snorkelling  or scuba diva..Ffs man Go.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, martyn said:

I'd say it's probably worth travelling 3 hours for, albeit it's full of souvenir hawkers and i wasn't as blown away as i thought i'd be, however, i've been to countless Mexican ruins so probably have a lower threshold for being impressed. I preferred Uxmal, but assuming you're on the Caribbean coast, that's even further away.

Yes it’s the Caribbean coast, we’re in Tulum.

Weve agreed to give it a miss this time, as we’ve booked again for same time next year. The place is absolutely stunning, can see myself coming back every spring if finances allow.

9 hours ago, martyn said:

I am a sort of a Anthropoligist freak, so I loved going back to These sites..Even going into Yucatan-Guatemala Borders looking vor known but then unearthed

sites..The Olmecs,Toltec, Oacas Fascinate me more ( pre-Aztecs) Also The Geographical Wonders like the  Cenotes ( water-holes).etc

Faszinating news finds under & around the Classic Palenque,Uxmal,Chichen-Itza & other known sites. History has Not yet finished with us yet...

Then something different..Whale Sharks of the Tip of Yucatan, und  the 2nd biggest reef,to the barriier-reef,around the corner near Tulum...

@Strokes...though you are a bit Too early, june - Sept to Enjoy this.probably Next Time eh..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Rome is brilliant, alongside Barcelona as the only places in Europe worth visiting, Monaco as well at a push. I did a day trip to Florence when we went, v easy. You’ve got a few thousand from here going next week that can feedback! 

The only places in Europe worth visiting? 

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

The only places in Europe worth visiting? 

Yeh, most likely an unpopular opinion but I find Europe in general quite drab and uninspiring. Compared to the intense sensory overload of the far east and South America and the unmatched drama of Africa. Rome and Barcelona are distinct stand outs, brilliant cities. We are blessed with cheap and mindlessly effortless travel to Europe which is a big plus 

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh, most likely an unpopular opinion but I find Europe in general quite drab and uninspiring. Compared to the intense sensory overload of the far east and South America and the unmatched drama of Africa. Rome and Barcelona are distinct stand outs, brilliant cities. We are blessed with cheap and mindlessly effortless travel to Europe which is a big plus 

Would suggest you haven’t done Europe properly!  But, then I suspect you’ll reel out a big long list 😆 

Krakow

San Sebastián 

Berlin

and that’s just the cities…. Some marvellous rural areas that really stand apart…. I’m a huge europhile and can’t wait for my Greek holiday in July!

Far East is definitely exciting though…. Have loved my travels there

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Would suggest you haven’t done Europe properly!  But, then I suspect you’ll reel out a big long list 😆 

Krakow

San Sebastián 

Berlin

and that’s just the cities…. Some marvellous rural areas that really stand apart…. I’m a huge europhile and can’t wait for my Greek holiday in July!

Far East is definitely exciting though…. Have loved my travels there

Done 25 countries in Europe (yes I am counting Vatican City and Gibraltar ok!!) including all on your list. I’ll give you Berlin actually, loads of history and, given I like electronic music, great to be in a place where virtually every bar stays open late and plays good music 

I went to Mykonos and santorini last summer and was SO bored. Honestly not one activity to do other than lazing around on a beach like an invalid! Hope you aren’t going there on your greek holiday, unless you like the beach of course! 

Edited by grobyfox1990
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Done 25 countries in Europe (yes I am counting Vatican City and Gibraltar ok!!) including all on your list. I’ll give you Berlin actually, loads of history and, given I like electronic music, great to be in a place where virtually every bar stays open late and plays good music 

I went to Mykonos and santorini last summer and was SO bored. Honestly not one activity to do other than lazing around on a beach like an invalid! Hope you aren’t going there on your greek holiday, unless you like the beach of course! 

I guessed correctly then!

I have been nearly everywhere in Europe, often with work and often for pleasure…. No Baltic states and not every Slavic country (but enough!)

Berlin is ace…. Love it around Kreusberg…. Great atmosphere/ food/ beer/ music 

Greece is my idea of heaven!  Wonderful beaches for snorkelling etc. some islands have great history…. One consistent thing is nice people and fresh fish…. I’m off to Zakinthos (if your posh) Zante (if your not)…. A lovely natural island and we are in a quiet village with a villa that has a view of the Ionian Sea - wonderful!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Back from a week in Keswick today and I genuinely can’t believe how nice it is there.

125D29C0-8ED5-4999-9A1B-0A1945A000A2.jpeg

52F59266-3667-494D-8E3D-755487F84EE2.jpeg

The Lake District in general is a breathtaking part of the world. Always find it a little sad how so few British people never see the beauty of their own country and never do the Lake District, Highlands, Snowdonia or the Causeway coast.

19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The Lake District in general is a breathtaking part of the world. Always find it a little sad how so few British people never see the beauty of their own country and never do the Lake District, Highlands, Snowdonia or the Causeway coast.

Yeah I agree. I tend to go to north Norfolk in England which I really like and this was the first time in the Lake District and it really was amazing. Like being in a different continent let alone country. 

• Like 1

Any recommendations for some under the radar or must eat at restaurants in Rome? We have a birthday out there and looking for a traditional Italian to celebrate but most recommendations online push the real pricey places. You guys have gave us some cracking recommendations before for Dubrovnik, Koln and Lisbon so happy to go with any recommendations.

18 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Any recommendations for some under the radar or must eat at restaurants in Rome? We have a birthday out there and looking for a traditional Italian to celebrate but most recommendations online push the real pricey places. You guys have gave us some cracking recommendations before for Dubrovnik, Koln and Lisbon so happy to go with any recommendations.

Oh Koln, how i miss thee.  If Leicester play 1FC Koln, I will have to travel

Edited by filthyfox

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone that has travelled from Manchester Airport recently know if having young kids with a pushchair gets you through security quicker? We did the last time we went abroad but that was 2018.

Potential queues are giving me nightmares. 

Flew to Lanzarote this morning for a week ..  flew from Birmigham ..  arrived early for an 8 o’clock take off ..  fookin nightmare ! ..  bag drop then the security queue ..  no way we were going to get through until we got pulled out by a passing member of staff when the plane was about to take off in 20 minutes and put near the front ..   made it by the absolute skin of our teeth.  Pilot said it was the longest queue he’d seen in 20 years ..    :blink: