Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Does anyone that has travelled from Manchester Airport recently know if having young kids with a pushchair gets you through security quicker? We did the last time we went abroad but that was 2018.

Potential queues are giving me nightmares. 

Didn’t notice that at Birmigham ..  they queued with the rest of us ..  wheelchairs did go to the front though ..  

I am going to Sao Paolo for work related stuff in September and I've booked 3 weeks off when I'm there.

My intention is to leave Brazil and go to Uruguay, Argentina and Chile simply because what I've read has said they're probably safer to explore on your own. I have almost zero knowledge of this part of the world so any advice would be appreciated!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Houdini Logic said:

I am going to Sao Paolo for work related stuff in September and I've booked 3 weeks off when I'm there.

My intention is to leave Brazil and go to Uruguay, Argentina and Chile simply because what I've read has said they're probably safer to explore on your own. I have almost zero knowledge of this part of the world so any advice would be appreciated!!

I have been to Brazil. Not sure I would want to stay in the big cities, but we went up to Manaus which is the gateway to the Amazon and did some ecotourism. Wildlife was off the scale! Manaus as a city felt really safe as well, and a direct flight from São Paulo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Houdini Logic said:

Been to São Paulo which was well boring and Rio which is awesome!! Copacabana, favela tour, a game at the maracana. Just walk around and take it all in and don’t just sit on the beach all day, this is not some weird Greek island, the city is buzzing and alive 24/7, so different to the humdrum of a European city. Would love to do Argentina, chile, Uruguay so I’m v jealous of that 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

If you do get the chance try to go to the Iguacu Falls on the Argentinian/ Brazil border - a helicopter trip above it is awesome.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Out of interest what did you like about it? 

Most relaxing place I've ever visited, by quite some distance. There's no nightclubs so doesn't attract the same crowd as a lot of other sunny European destinations, I absolutely love Greek culture and cuisine, it's relatively inexpensive, doesn't feel too touristy, it's small enough that you can get to anywhere on the island within 30 minutes or so but strangely somehow still feels large with the hilly terrain. Views around Oia and Fira just look like postcards wherever you look. When I went the weather was perfect for the entire stay. Really enjoyed the boat trip to the volcanic island and Thirasia too. I plan to see more of the Greek islands, having been to Corfu as a child (enjoyed it a lot, but even at 10 years old it felt pretty tacky), and recently to Rhodes - which I hoped would be more like Santorini, but felt completely different. Not necessarily in a bad way, but didn't have the magic of Santorini

It's not somewhere I'd recommend for couples with young children, or people going on the piss (not the island's vibe at all) but absolutely ideal for people who like Greece but haven't visited, or people looking to relax and do a bit of sightseeing, or honeymooners

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

I spent 3 weeks in Argentina with the Mrs about 5 years ago. As @zorro en españasays, Iguazu really shouldn't be missed if you're in the area, it's an awe inducing place and only 1.5 hours flying time from Sao Paolo (fly LATAM if you can). I recommend both sides of the falls as well, Argentina for the power, Brazil for the panoramas. The bird park on the Brazil side is worth a visit too.

I guess Southern Argentina is more famous, and around Bariloche and Patagonia is beautiful, but I really enjoyed the Salta region up in the North West. Salta city is interesting, then you've got the hill towns north of there like Purmamarca, Huamahuaca etc and onto the Salt Flats if you like. Or south of Salta, hire a car and drive to Cafayate, the drive is mind blowingly beautiful through the red rock valleys. Plus wine in Cafayate at the end of it.

Buenos Aires worth a few days of anyone's time as well.

Our itinerary was Buenos Aires 4 days, Bariloche region 4 days, Salta region 5 days, Iguazu 2 days, El Calafate and El Chalten 3 days, back to Buenos Aires for a couple of days to finish. Loved that trip. Involved 5 or 6 internal flights though, so not the cheapest. We toyed with crossing into Uruguay and Chile but didn't bother in the end as Argentina had plenty.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Most relaxing place I've ever visited, by quite some distance. There's no nightclubs so doesn't attract the same crowd as a lot of other sunny European destinations, I absolutely love Greek culture and cuisine, it's relatively inexpensive, doesn't feel too touristy, it's small enough that you can get to anywhere on the island within 30 minutes or so but strangely somehow still feels large with the hilly terrain. Views around Oia and Fira just look like postcards wherever you look. When I went the weather was perfect for the entire stay. Really enjoyed the boat trip to the volcanic island and Thirasia too. I plan to see more of the Greek islands, having been to Corfu as a child (enjoyed it a lot, but even at 10 years old it felt pretty tacky), and recently to Rhodes - which I hoped would be more like Santorini, but felt completely different. Not necessarily in a bad way, but didn't have the magic of Santorini

It's not somewhere I'd recommend for couples with young children, or people going on the piss (not the island's vibe at all) but absolutely ideal for people who like Greece but haven't visited, or people looking to relax and do a bit of sightseeing, or honeymooners

Cheers that’s a really good overview. I tried to phrase my initial message in as non-snarky a way as possible. I went last summer for 3 days with my wife and was very bored, nothing to do, not my cup of tea at all. The boat trip to the volcanoes and sunset was good though.

How you describe it is spot on though, it’s clearly not what I’m looking for in a holiday which is probably why I found it so tedious. If you’ve never been to Mykonos, don’t! It’s the annoying euro party crowd it seems you dislike plus 10x the price (eg bed on the beach is €100 easily, lunch €50, night out ar a decent bar and few drinks will easily set you back €300+) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Cheers that’s a really good overview. I tried to phrase my initial message in as non-snarky a way as possible. I went last summer for 3 days with my wife and was very bored, nothing to do, not my cup of tea at all. The boat trip to the volcanoes and sunset was good though.

How you describe it is spot on though, it’s clearly not what I’m looking for in a holiday which is probably why I found it so tedious. If you’ve never been to Mykonos, don’t! It’s the annoying euro party crowd it seems you dislike plus 10x the price (eg bed on the beach is €100 easily, lunch €50, night out ar a decent bar and few drinks will easily set you back €300+) 

Didn't come across as snarky in any way mate! I could totally understand why some people might find it boring, and there are people who have travelled much more than me and may have stumbled across similar locations, where having little to do might feel like a wasted trip

Mykonos is one of the more popular islands that I don't intend to visit, but thanks for the additional info. I'm not totally averse to some partying (I really enjoyed Vegas, been skiing a few times, and going to Majorca next month with a few mates - but having been before I am staying the hell away from Magaluf) - but yeah I'm not one for clubbing or going to destinations where the only selling points are getting blasted for cheap. Me and my ex wanted a cheap last minute getaway years ago and didn't do research. Ended up in Lloret de Mar, which was absolutely disgusting lol 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rachhere said:

I have been to Brazil. Not sure I would want to stay in the big cities, but we went up to Manaus which is the gateway to the Amazon and did some ecotourism. Wildlife was off the scale! Manaus as a city felt really safe as well, and a direct flight from São Paulo. 

Manaus is an absolutely mad place. 

Had a huge amount of fun there - so agree with you that it should definitely be on a visit list. 

52 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Where would folks recommend for a young family to go in Europe around Feb/March time?

What sort of thing are you looking for? The best weather will be in the Canaries, or the Algarve with a shorter flight. 

Are they old enough for Disneyland in Paris? 

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

What sort of thing are you looking for? The best weather will be in the Canaries, or the Algarve with a shorter flight. 

Are they old enough for Disneyland in Paris? 

Will be 4 and 18 months. Yeah thought the Canaries Islands weather wise. Have you been?

Just now, SemperEadem said:

Will be 4 and 18 months. Yeah thought the Canaries Islands weather wise. Have you been?

Once with kids, to Maspolomas with my two youngest, although they were older than yours. We loved it, there was plenty for them to do, a water park, zoo, bird park, loads of other stuff and the beaches were lovely. 

Find yourself somewhere with a good pool and half decent children's entertainment and you probably can't go wrong 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Once with kids, to Maspolomas with my two youngest, although they were older than yours. We loved it, there was plenty for them to do, a water park, zoo, bird park, loads of other stuff and the beaches were lovely. 

Find yourself somewhere with a good pool and half decent children's entertainment and you probably can't go wrong 

Brace yourself for excessive nudity on the beach and don't take the kids on a nature trail in the dunes....

On 09/05/2022 at 18:37, Countryfox said:

Flew to Lanzarote this morning for a week ..  flew from Birmigham ..  arrived early for an 8 o’clock take off ..  fookin nightmare ! ..  bag drop then the security queue ..  no way we were going to get through until we got pulled out by a passing member of staff when the plane was about to take off in 20 minutes and put near the front ..   made it by the absolute skin of our teeth.  Pilot said it was the longest queue he’d seen in 20 years ..    :blink:

Glad I read this…. It’s no better a week later…. Queue goes back way past Departures…. Ordinarily I’d leave an hour and a quarter when already checked in…. Got here 2 hours before and whilst I suspect I will be fine, it’s not the best start to the week!

Total shambles at Birmingham airport