Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

My passport ran out in 2020. I tried doing the bloody photo online but apparently my eyes are closed or my mouth is open or my face is in shadow or there's a shadow behind me. 

Absolute joke. Anyone else managed to upload one? I'm taking pics in daylight next to a white bedroom wall with the light on. 

18 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Looking at Cornwall 1st week of July (before school holidays) as the Mrs has never been.......

**** me, how expensive? Finding a place to stay for a week that isn't a complete dive is just ridiculous. 

I went last May bank holiday week for 3 days when international travel was still prohibitive. Oh my good god times 100000 never ever again. Ludicrously expensive, rude people and you really don’t get much for it. Thank god long haul travel is back. Actually spend less living it up in Dubai for 3 days all costs included 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Glad I read this…. It’s no better a week later…. Queue goes back way past Departures…. Ordinarily I’d leave an hour and a quarter when already checked in…. Got here 2 hours before and whilst I suspect I will be fine, it’s not the best start to the week!

Total shambles at Birmingham airport 

Glad it helped ..  coming back today so left early for the airport as instructed by Ryanair ..  sailed through in minutes !! ..  sort of guessed that might happen ..  :)

Not looking forward to arriving at Birmingham though …. :unsure:

• Thanks 1

I work remotely so I'm thinking of doing a week somewhere in the UK and one abroad over the summer.

Domestically, I'm thinking of Glasgow & Edinburgh (never been to Scotland) or Belfast, any recommendations or advice? I'd presume Belfast is probably a bit cheaper.

Further afield I'm thinking of either Portugal or Eastern Europe. What would be the best Eastern European city to stay in with enough to do for a week? Prague, Budapest, Krakow?

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I work remotely so I'm thinking of doing a week somewhere in the UK and one abroad over the summer.

Domestically, I'm thinking of Glasgow & Edinburgh (never been to Scotland) or Belfast, any recommendations or advice? I'd presume Belfast is probably a bit cheaper.

Further afield I'm thinking of either Portugal or Eastern Europe. What would be the best Eastern European city to stay in with enough to do for a week? Prague, Budapest, Krakow?

Balkan cities are cheaper, have better food and weather, and possibly better internet. I am biased from living there but Sofia is a great city. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Edinburgh definitely has to be done at least once. It's the city I'd tell a tourist to go to if they could only visit one other British/Irish city other than London, it's way cheaper than London or Dublin as well. Belfast is nice too. Glasgow I'm not the biggest fan of but plenty to do there.

I'd recommend maybe doing a couple of Balkan countries in a week, if they're both EU and Schengen countries it's easy to get a train or bus between (I used the FlixBus app last time I travelled between countries on mainland Europe) and you probably won't even have to go through passport control (though obviously bring your passport just in case). Food in those countries is great and they're dirt cheap too (a beer usually costs like 75p or something).

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stadt said:

In terms of abroad, all the cities you mention are very cheap and fun, you wont go wrong.

Otherwise, Travelzoo have a lot of deals for a few days in the sun, eg this one for £129 in Mallorca: https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/holidays/beach/-129pp-All-inc-Mallorca-beach-holiday-w-flights-44-off-2972852/?cm=signedin&source=_tzlock&placement=Overlay-TravelDeal-DealPage-SignUpOB

Like you i also work at home and have not taken advantage of the 'flexibility' (chance to doss with no one looking) and should really do so soon as summer is quiet at our work.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

In terms of abroad, all the cities you mention are very cheap and fun, you wont go wrong.

Otherwise, Travelzoo have a lot of deals for a few days in the sun, eg this one for £129 in Mallorca: https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/holidays/beach/-129pp-All-inc-Mallorca-beach-holiday-w-flights-44-off-2972852/?cm=signedin&source=_tzlock&placement=Overlay-TravelDeal-DealPage-SignUpOB

Like you i also work at home and have not taken advantage of the 'flexibility' (chance to doss with no one looking) and should really do so soon as summer is quiet at our work.

Hadn't even considered this! What a muppet I am. Find some wifi and work in the morning, sun in the afternoon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

Belfast is brilliant mate, been twice now and really want to find another excuse to go back. I'm not sure you'd need a full week there although some of the surrounding countryside and coastline is absolutely stunning if you're able to get out of the city and head along the Antrim coast to the Giant's Causeway and that area.

You'd obviously find the history of the place really interesting too and I could recommend you a great taxi driver who does tours. Plus, there are plenty of brilliant pubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also the people of Belfast are some of the friendliest in the UK and Ireland. I admit I felt a bit nervous going there for the first time as an Englishman, but you really shouldn’t. I mean don’t do anything stupid like go into Irish pubs waving the British flag amongst drunk people on a Friday night or vice versa or say your a Celtic/Rangers fan, but otherwise Northern Ireland actually has a lower crime rate than England, Scotland, Wales or the Republic of Ireland and the people are super friendly and talkative.

Good chance you’ll be asked what team you support once they hear your accent though and once you say your a Foxes fan, their eyes will probably light up and they’ll probably go on about how Jonny Evans is one of the best players they’ve ever produced haha. Happened to me a couple of times last time I went in 2019.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

I did Krakow about 3 yrs ago. I loved it. Not expensive, not a big city either. Lots to see, not far from Auschwitz. Definitely would recommend going.

I would definitely go back, although been told Gdansk (north coast) is another little gem also.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Choose Lucca over both

Florence has much of a Historic spread over the whole of Italy, But Lucca has also a lot to offer...

I prefer normally small Small villages & towns, then visit the bigger ones for the day...

That said every Town & City is a Bloody Museum and screams History & known Historical names, across Italy's arte & history...

Go Away from the Tourist areas, besides  finding Great local People also Local good for the pocket restaurants serving traditional regional dishes...

11 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Looking at Cornwall 1st week of July (before school holidays) as the Mrs has never been.......

**** me, how expensive? Finding a place to stay for a week that isn't a complete dive is just ridiculous. 

We booked cottage near Bude first week of school holidays and it was just under a grand!

That's the price if you have kids in School.

You should be okay 1st week in July?

Check out cottages.com or hoseasons

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

All 3  will Keep you busy & interested, which ever one you choose....Sorry.

13 hours ago, Sampson said:

Also the people of Belfast are some of the friendliest in the UK and Ireland. I admit I felt a bit nervous going there for the first time as an Englishman, but you really shouldn’t. I mean don’t do anything stupid like go into Irish pubs waving the British flag amongst drunk people on a Friday night or vice versa or say your a Celtic/Rangers fan, but otherwise Northern Ireland actually has a lower crime rate than England, Scotland, Wales or the Republic of Ireland and the people are super friendly and talkative.

Good chance you’ll be asked what team you support once they hear your accent though and once you say your a Foxes fan, their eyes will probably light up and they’ll probably go on about how Jonny Evans is one of the best players they’ve ever produced haha. Happened to me a couple of times last time I went in 2019.

My biggest takeaway from Belfast was how safe it felt. I did a political walking tour through the falls road/shankill that was really intriguing and taught me a lot. But aside from that the bars in the city are amazing, there’s some great places to eat on a low budget (Mikey’s Deli is a must for lunch) and most importantly the people are absolutely sound. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Anyone flown from London City Airport before and how long before take-off would you recommend arriving? Doesn't seem like a very busy gaff?

Aye flew from there once to Dusseldorf for a Bochum game, was a while ago but from what I remember you can rock up very close to the time. 1 hr before flight rather than 2

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Anyone flown from London City Airport before and how long before take-off would you recommend arriving? Doesn't seem like a very busy gaff?

Use to use it regularly…quick turnaround..

But that was 3-4 yrs back..My last flight to-from UK..

• Thanks 1