Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

4 minutes ago, BrummieFOX said:

Randomly got offered a week in Vienna with free accom so naturally going to go for it. Not somewhere I really had on my list, but any recommendations on what to check out/avoid, food spots, good beer/wine etc?

Get down to a place called Centimeter for good schnitzel and beer. Plenty of nice green spaces, historic buildings and the Prater funfair too.

If you get a chance and fancy a decent, cheap beer, hop on the train to Bratislava. It's only 45 mins.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BrummieFOX said:

Randomly got offered a week in Vienna with free accom so naturally going to go for it. Not somewhere I really had on my list, but any recommendations on what to check out/avoid, food spots, good beer/wine etc?

there is a permanent market called the Naschmarkt which is well worth a visit if you fancy a few cold ones and people watching. all the buildings are incredible even the local Spar looks a historic mansion! we did the Spanish horses as well which was incredible if you like that sort of thing, we also just wandered around the centre taking in the bars/cafes and more people watching. Suggest you use the tram/metro to get about as we stayed just outside near the river Danube

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Get down to a place called Centimeter for good schnitzel and beer. Plenty of nice green spaces, historic buildings and the Prater funfair too.

If you get a chance and fancy a decent, cheap beer, hop on the train to Bratislava. It's only 45 mins.

Great stuff, cheers mate!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Filbert_Ross said:

My wife due to travel to America next month. Her passport is in her maiden name but he vaccination status is in married name. Anyone else had this problem?

We have the same concerns so I spoke to Tui who said we would be fine but to take marriage certificate just in case. This is to Spain though, not sure if they'll be more awkward when travelling to the US. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrummieFOX said:

Was just about to say visit the Brickmakers but it's closed down!

Area to have a stroll around for a drink/something to eat - Neubau/Spittelsberg

Restaurants I enjoyed 

Amerling Biesl -  http://www.amerlingbeisl.at

The Guest House - https://theguesthouse.at/de/brasserie-bakery/abend - it's in a hotel but restaurant is lovely 

Recommend 

Have a slice of Sacher Cake with a Melange coffee in one of the traditional coffee shop

Attractions 

Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien - historical art admittedly but the building is stunning 

Schonbrunn Palace - if the weather is nice, its very much worth a walk around the grounds. Reminds me a lot of Greenwich Park but obvs with a palace in it

Third Man Museum - a little different but if you've ever seen the film, worthwhile and gives a lot of background to post War Vienna

Prater - good fun, bit like Tivoli in Copenhagen

Museum of Military History - by far, the most underrated attraction there - we went on an afternoon and only got as far as World War 1 such is the depth of items on show. It includes Franz Ferdinands jacket and car!

For me, its a very, very under-rated city 

• Thanks 1

Orlando has been interesting trip so far, currently my 9th day here. Done universal twice, fantastic experience however I'm not sure how some people could spend an whole day there for me. I find about 3 to 4 hours my limit. International Drive is certainly good walk which is both scenic and plenty of places to eat and drink. Haven't done Disney on this occasion just a tad pricey I think. Weather been so beautiful other than the violent storm we had the other night though that's pretty norm for this region at any time. I found myself now pretty daft as it stands, starting feeling a little homesick enjoyed my stay but I felt I have kind of done everything I can do round here. Other than the theme parks in Orlando there's not much to do. Done Downtown, which unless your planning to see either the Football or Basketball, I'd advice to walk with caution especially at night. Certainly quite an intimating place. Going to try and do the malls here.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Restaurants I enjoyed 

The Guest House - https://theguesthouse.at/de/brasserie-bakery/abend - it's in a hotel but restaurant is lovely 

Recommend 

Have a slice of Sacher Cake with a Melange coffee in one of the traditional coffee shop

Attractions 

Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien - historical art admittedly but the building is stunning 

Schonbrunn Palace - if the weather is nice, its very much worth a walk around the grounds. Reminds me a lot of Greenwich Park but obvs with a palace in it

Third Man Museum - a little different but if you've ever seen the film, worthwhile and gives a lot of background to post War Vienna

Museum of Military History - by far, the most underrated attraction there - we went on an afternoon and only got as far as World War 1 such is the depth of items on show. It includes Franz Ferdinands jacket and car!

Not on the continent, still a draw for the  famous & the rest of us Arme

great call on the military museum.

Sachertorte ..indulge yourself just once at Cafe central,then add a cake stand of various offers.

Eat at any of the Faire on offer at the Naschmarkt, ( better than Camden-town)

Small classical Opera Aries, or full on

and epicentre for Classical W.Class concerts…
Not a bad Kneipe( pub) or music pubs to find, all have something to offer, enough flyers to find your way around in all B&Bs & Hotels, the reception love selling their beautiful city..

Hop on Off busses help to get you around..Or jump on a bike..

Then the catacombs under St Stephansdom

all for @Brummie-FOX  to start slivering over..

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Orlando has been interesting trip so far, currently my 9th day here. Done universal twice, fantastic experience however I'm not sure how some people could spend an whole day there for me. I find about 3 to 4 hours my limit. International Drive is certainly good walk which is both scenic and plenty of places to eat and drink. Haven't done Disney on this occasion just a tad pricey I think. Weather been so beautiful other than the violent storm we had the other night though that's pretty norm for this region at any time. I found myself now pretty daft as it stands, starting feeling a little homesick enjoyed my stay but I felt I have kind of done everything I can do round here. Other than the theme parks in Orlando there's not much to do. Done Downtown, which unless your planning to see either the Football or Basketball, I'd advice to walk with caution especially at night. Certainly quite an intimating place. Going to try and do the malls here.

How about Sea-life…or Swim with Dolphins..well worth it if you can get it in…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

we're going on a holiday, gonna take a villa a small chalet...

Bloody loud holiday neighbours, bursting into rock concert moods,

Bloody Dire, straight after needing a nap,  get a life, not walk of life…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Restaurants I enjoyed 

Recommend 

Attractions 

Ah brilliant, thank you! Yeh if I'm honest it wasn't really exciting me as a location. But this and the other replies have given me more confidence. 

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

We have the same concerns so I spoke to Tui who said we would be fine but to take marriage certificate just in case. This is to Spain though, not sure if they'll be more awkward when travelling to the US. 

she now spoken to the British Airways (who's she's flying with ) & they say having a marriage certificate is fine. 

2 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Going to Menorca in 2 weeks time but unsure whether to take cash or card. Would rather use cash but alot of people keep mentioning that the locals want card payments. Cash would still be widely accepted i assume? 

Cash is usually preferable to card where I live in Spain, it doesn't need to go through the books! Yes cash will be absolutely fine 😊 The only reason I can think that card payment might be preferred is so they can screw you over with the exchange rate? So yes, definitely cash 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 14:23, Leicesterpool said:

Have you a car? Blue Springs State Park is well worth the drive. Also there's Kennedy Space Centre on one coast and Clearwater beach on the other (both you should be able to book tours to even if you aren't driving). You could also look at a trip to Disney Springs - you won't need a park ticket to get in there. If you are into waterparks, I absolutely love Aquatica. 

On 17/05/2022 at 12:35, Filbert_Ross said:

My wife due to travel to America next month. Her passport is in her maiden name but he vaccination status is in married name. Anyone else had this problem?

Sorry not me ..  luckily i kept the same name when I got married ..  but that was in the old days when a person with a whatsit usually kept the same name and a person without a whatsit usually had to change it  ..  :thumbup:    ….  Well, that’s not entirely  true tbf  ..  if the person without the whatsit was a bit ‘feisty’ then they sometimes kept their original name or went ‘double barrelled’ ..  in the old days this was classed as ‘the one who wore the trousers’ ..  :)

5 hours ago, rachhere said:

Have you a car? Blue Springs State Park is well worth the drive. Also there's Kennedy Space Centre on one coast and Clearwater beach on the other (both you should be able to book tours to even if you aren't driving). You could also look at a trip to Disney Springs - you won't need a park ticket to get in there. If you are into waterparks, I absolutely love Aquatica. 

Sadly no car sadly, did look into Kennedy Space Centre but public transport pretty impossible. 

10 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

Impulse booked a trip to Riga when I realised there was a four day weekend in June. Had €200 built up in Accor credit so my room ended up costing me around £4 total.

Not sure what's there, I'm going to play it by ear.

Strip clubs. And bars where girls take their clothes off. And mafia.

going on a few this year to make up for Covid, Milan, Greece, New York and somewhere my partner has booked for my 30th 

Is Milan as expensive as what people say? will do tour of San Siro for definite, some shopping, lake como etc. Anyone got any good suggestions?

On 17/05/2022 at 12:35, Filbert_Ross said:

Yeah i'm married too.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

going on a few this year to make up for Covid, Milan, Greece, New York and somewhere my partner has booked for my 30th 

Is Milan as expensive as what people say? will do tour of San Siro for definite, some shopping, lake como etc. Anyone got any good suggestions?

It’s expensive for Italy but in the grand scheme of things not really..? No suggestions, it’s a real dump, probably not what you wanted to hear