Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 hours ago, TK95 said:

Anyone know what travel is like in New York? Is the Subway equivalent to the London underground or much more expensive?

Me and a mate are going in July for a wedding and have a bit of time to explore the City afterwards. But the hotel is a fair bit out from the central attractions so would need to either cab or get the Subway in.

Nyc is fantastic. Subway is the easiest way of getting around and 24/7. That being said I’ve not been post covid, and apparently it’s creaking and ridden with crime now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Malaga is a beautiful city imo

Brits fly there and leave for the coast so when people usually say they are going to Malaga they aren't. 

Good food readily available. 

Go up to the top of the hill overlooking the city, fantastic views including the round bull ring which looks great. 

Thanks. I’ve realised I am one of those people. The hotel is in torremolinos which I’ve heard of from channel 5 programmes such as ‘fat brits in the sun’ and ‘ugly weird brits go on holiday’ but it all looks fine and will be very hot. Given your comment we will try and spend most time in Malaga, and Seville is nearby 

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Malaga is a beautiful city imo

Brits fly there and leave for the coast so when people usually say they are going to Malaga they aren't. 

Good food readily available. 

Go up to the top of the hill overlooking the city, fantastic views including the round bull ring which looks great. 

In addition to the Picasso museum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Thanks. I’ve realised I am one of those people. The hotel is in torremolinos which I’ve heard of from channel 5 programmes such as ‘fat brits in the sun’ and ‘ugly weird brits go on holiday’ but it all looks fine and will be very hot. Given your comment we will try and spend most time in Malaga, and Seville is nearby 

Seville is my favourite city in Europe. I like Malaga but Seville is another level.

• Like 1

I went to Madeira last week and it was absolutely beautiful. Got through Manchester Airport fine but it is still an absolute shambles of a place. Hate it with a passion.

...and heading back there on Saturday to go Greek Island hopping. Anybody been to Ios, Naxos, Paros, Syros or Mykonos and have any tips?

Also shameless plug but I have an Insta page I'm going to start putting recommendations on soon if anybody is interested @littlecornersofeurope

6 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

If you only have a few days, Sevilla is probably a bit too far to go from Torremolinos imo, it's at least a two hour drive. Málaga is a lovely city with plenty to see, so you probably don't need to go that far out. Granada is also lovely and a bit closer, but honestly I'd be surprised if you need to go further out from Torremolinos than Málaga with only 3 nights. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you only have a few days, Sevilla is probably a bit too far to go from Torremolinos imo, it's at least a two hour drive. Málaga is a lovely city with plenty to see, so you probably don't need to go that far out. Granada is also lovely and a bit closer, but honestly I'd be surprised if you need to go further out from Torremolinos than Málaga with only 3 nights. 

Thanks for this. I will investigate Malaga and Granada further and ditch Seville 

• Like 1

Just got back from Snowdonia.  What an unbelievably beautiful part of Wales.

Gorgeous scenery - absolutely stunning, and possibly one of the nicest beaches around (Borth Y Gest).

Pretty much everywhere was dog friendly, and all the locals were really friendly and welcoming.

If you like walking and the outdoors, it is definitely the place to go.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TK95 said:

Anyone know what travel is like in New York? Is the Subway equivalent to the London underground or much more expensive?

Me and a mate are going in July for a wedding and have a bit of time to explore the City afterwards. But the hotel is a fair bit out from the central attractions so would need to either cab or get the Subway in.

Compared to London and other major cities it ain’t a great experience but reasonable value and essential for getting to the outer boroughs and attractions. Otherwise you can walk most places in Midtown and up to Central Park I found. 

Edited by vandamman
  • Like 1

Couple of short trips booked, just after my birthday 28th June got three days in Brighton, then got a few days in Amsterdam in September flying with Easyjet... hoping everything is sorted with them before I travel. Was planning a week in Devon for a week, but the pricing of train fair and accommodation I find it was cheaper to actually to go to holland and back. Plus get a chance to see a new country. Just shows... we're pretty ripped off in this country, certainly with train fair. 

On 30/05/2022 at 17:16, Samilktray said:

House sitting in return for a holiday is a thing people do? Amazing 

It is, yes. We've stayed in some amazing properties completely free which otherwise would probably have cost thousands to rent, in exchange for just looking after the house. Which is basically living in it as if you owned it. It's a great way to travel :)

Heading to Milan in a couple of weeks and have booked train tickets to Como. 

I think I've asked on here before but couldn't find who replied, so apologies! 

Can anyone recommend places to see in Como, somewhere nice to perhaps visit for lunch as well? We're only planning to be there for half a day, perhaps just over. 

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Heading to Milan in a couple of weeks and have booked train tickets to Como. 

I think I've asked on here before but couldn't find who replied, so apologies! 

Can anyone recommend places to see in Como, somewhere nice to perhaps visit for lunch as well? We're only planning to be there for half a day, perhaps just over. 

Menaggio, Bellagio, Varenna.

Edited by HighPeakFox

Anyone help point me in the direction of the best place to get a PCR / antigen test done to travel to Spain this Friday?

One of my mates is boostered and although I was fuming I had it only for them to relax the rules the following day, I'm now glad I haven't got to do a load of paperwork and arrange a test. He works in Birmingham so is it a do at home job or find a clinic in Brum?

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Anyone help point me in the direction of the best place to get a PCR / antigen test done to travel to Spain this Friday?

One of my mates is boostered and although I was fuming I had it only for them to relax the rules the following day, I'm now glad I haven't got to do a load of paperwork and arrange a test. He works in Birmingham so is it a do at home job or find a clinic in Brum?

Wow at this point surely the only operator still milking the testing system is Randox? I highly doubt anyone will check the legitamcy of Dr Google's negative test certificate at the border, but for the sake of a £50 Randox test maybe best to pay up and get piece of mind

I noticed that, for the first time since the brexit 'cool off period', an Eu border control couldn't be arsed to stamp me in and out last week (Germany in this case). Burocratic Weariness seems to be outweighing burocratic pettiness (which it was always going to) 

They also cba to check my vax status - a welcome improvement. As for covid tests, just make them up. I have done since summer last year. Only @z-layrex(and one other insanely clever poster on the covid thread who used to dig me out but who's name I've long forgot) are bothered. The remaining 7 billion world population couldn't give one. 

Edit...Actually, the clever covid test junkie was @Line-X. Just looked! 

Edited by Paninistickers
Couldn't remember name
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I noticed that, for the first time since the brexit 'cool off period', an Eu border control couldn't be arsed to stamp me in and out last week (Germany in this case). Burocratic Weariness seems to be outweighing burocratic pettiness (which it was always going to) 

They also cba to check my vax status - a welcome improvement. As for covid tests, just make them up. I have done since summer last year. Only @z-layrex(and one other insanely clever poster on the covid thread who used to dig me out but who's name I've long forgot) are bothered. The remaining 7 billion world population couldn't give one. 

Edit...Actually, the clever covid test junkie was @Line-X. Just looked! 

How's he do that then? You have to enter the PCR / antigen test details?

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How's he do that then? You have to enter the PCR / antigen test details?

I bought a legit one originally ....and all it was was a pdf form with lots of official blurbs about antigen, sars covid and testing types....plus my name, dob and passport. Just convert it to word, change the dates, and convert back to pdf. 

I'm sure there will be a template on Google where you can copy and paste text 

1 hour ago, Soup said:

When I've been through border control in Spain they just glance at my phone. So glad I didn't get boosted for that. Just pissed I got the first two

Unfortunately I was one of them that fell for it thinking It’s the only way I’ll be able to travel abroad. My mrs stuck to her guns and didn’t get jabbed and can still travel to vaccine free.

• Like 1

Anyone been to Cala D'or, majorca?

Due to stacking it and busting my knee, ibiza in July is off the menu, but to rebook next year is over a grand more at the moment so been looking at an alternative that's a little more akin to the refund received