Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Ive just come back from Malaga, children under 12 have no restrictions when travelling to Spain. Adults have to show covid proof, and they actually checked it when i landed

Cheers for that. Is the NHS Covid Travel Pass on your phone sufficient?

46 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Leaving for the Fjords on P and O Iona on 9/7.

Can't wait!

Have you been before? We cruised there a couple of years ago. Pre Covid so might be more, it's absolutely stunning. Sailed from Hamburg all the way up to Honningsvag. The 24 hour daylight was an experience. 

Our last holiday was severely disrupted by Covid - due to sail from Shanghai in Feb 2020 and do an Asian cruise. We were moved to Singapore and still had a great trip, although a couple of countries refused us entry and the UAE banned cruise ships the day before we were due to disembark in Dubai. Which was awkward. 

Did still get to go to Thailand and see the KP tower and our surprise trip to Ho Chi Minh City was outstanding. 

Due to the travel disruption, our relocation and renovation of our new Leicestershire house, we've not even looked at holidays. 

But have booked for April 2023. A Mediterranean and North Africa Cruise. Excited is an understatement. 

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Have you been before? We cruised there a couple of years ago. Pre Covid so might be more, it's absolutely stunning. Sailed from Hamburg all the way up to Honningsvag. The 24 hour daylight was an experience. 

Yep, and absolutely loved it, hence why we are doing it again. The cruise only goes as far up as Geiranger, but, I remember the night sky never quite being dark until about 0300, for about an hour or so!

• 2 weeks later...

Today was D-Day for Airlines to be able to cancel flights without the penalty of losing that slot in the future. (A big thing)

Hopefully now those that have booked & not be advised of a cancellation already will be clear to fly & those that haven't yet booked should be able to book with confidence that the flights advertised will operate.

:fc:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Today was D-Day for Airlines to be able to cancel flights without the penalty of losing that slot in the future. (A big thing)

Hopefully now those that have booked & not be advised of a cancellation already will be clear to fly & those that haven't yet booked should be able to book with confidence that the flights advertised will operate.

:fc:

I didn’t know that…. Had a horrible sinking feeling when I saw an email from TUI yesterday (flying a week Monday)….  Fortunately it was just trying to flog luggage charges…

I’m relieved!  Thanks for sharing 

• Like 1

I'd promised myself a random long haul destination as a new year resolution earlier this year....blso booked a week off work in November and am wondering about cape town. 

Anyone been and can advise? 

Just looking for daytime walking (if indeed poss in cape town) afternoon beach bumming and evening small time bars & restaurants 

54 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'd promised myself a random long haul destination as a new year resolution earlier this year....blso booked a week off work in November and am wondering about cape town. 

Just looking for daytime walking (if indeed poss in cape town) afternoon beach bumming and evening small time bars & restaurants 

Went in October 2015 one of the best places I’ve ever been. We stayed in the V&A waterfront which had plenty of lovely restaurant & bars, didn’t do much walking apart from table mountain as we hired a car. For the beach just head down to Camps Bay.

Before I went @Merging Cultures was really helpful with giving good advice & tips on where to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stretch1965 said:

Flying from Manchester jet 2 Terminal 1 at 6.30 am Monday,  anyone know what queues etc are like?

Cheers

It's when people stand in line, one or more behind the other. 

Sorry - I don't know, have a great holiday :thumbup:

• Haha 2

Just got back from 10 days in France.  Flew with BA - never again.

At Gatwick, took over an hour to do bag drop.  Huge line of people (150-200) waiting to bag drop - 1 person working - eventually they sent 1 more person after about 45 minutes.  The self bag-drop section was closed (only opened up just as we were about to bag drop.

Return from Bordeaux. Due to fly at 17:25 yesterday (Friday). Get a text message at 18:10 on Thursday saying flight tomorrow cancelled. Basically fly any other route and you will not be covered. Go on to the booking app and it provides a phone number. Ring that, and It tells you to email. 
I look in the app and they run an earlier flight, but they only have business class seats left, so ask to be put on that. They message back saying they do not do seat upgrades. Only option is to stay for 2 more days or fly from a different airport.

Cant stay for longer as the villa we were staying in was booked for a new family, plus my daughter had work on the Saturday (today). We also had a hire car to go back just before the flight. The other option was to fly from a different airport.  Same issue with hire car as we have to drop off at airport we picked it up from (small print).  This was a flight / hire car package, so they should know this.

Asked for a refund and will seek compensation.

Booked alternative flights with EasyJet.  Do bag drop at Bordeaux, no queue at all and loads of staff working. So easy and simple.

Will probably not book with BA again - very poor service home and abroad.

31784F94-9A90-41D2-83F1-0E256798D143.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Just got back from 10 days in France.  Flew with BA - never again.

At Gatwick, took over an hour to do bag drop.  Huge line of people (150-200) waiting to bag drop - 1 person working - eventually they sent 1 more person after about 45 minutes.  The self bag-drop section was closed (only opened up just as we were about to bag drop.

Return from Bordeaux. Due to fly at 17:25 yesterday (Friday). Get a text message at 18:10 on Thursday saying flight tomorrow cancelled. Basically fly any other route and you will not be covered. Go on to the booking app and it provides a phone number. Ring that, and It tells you to email. 
I look in the app and they run an earlier flight, but they only have business class seats left, so ask to be put on that. They message back saying they do not do seat upgrades. Only option is to stay for 2 more days or fly from a different airport.

Cant stay for longer as the villa we were staying in was booked for a new family, plus my daughter had work on the Saturday (today). We also had a hire car to go back just before the flight. The other option was to fly from a different airport.  Same issue with hire car as we have to drop off at airport we picked it up from (small print).  This was a flight / hire car package, so they should know this.

Asked for a refund and will seek compensation.

Booked alternative flights with EasyJet.  Do bag drop at Bordeaux, no queue at all and loads of staff working. So easy and simple.

Will probably not book with BA again - very poor service home and abroad.

31784F94-9A90-41D2-83F1-0E256798D143.jpeg

Sounds terrible but tbh serves you right for voluntarily choosing to go to France

11 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Yes, been 3 times. Cape Town is fantastic, one of the most liveable places on the planet. The things to do are mainly nature based, plus obvs Robben island. Be careful at night plus the water situation is awful, prob wont affect you if you stay in a decent hotel 

22 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Seconded on Cape Town, what a city. I’m back there in January for a second time.

• Thanks 1