Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 08/07/2022 at 21:30, Paninistickers said:

I'd promised myself a random long haul destination as a new year resolution earlier this year....blso booked a week off work in November and am wondering about cape town. 

Anyone been and can advise? 

Just looking for daytime walking (if indeed poss in cape town) afternoon beach bumming and evening small time bars & restaurants 

Probably one of my favourite places I’ve been to.Absolutely loved it,I was only there 4-5 days,but was disappointed to leave as I felt I had hardly touched the place.

27 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Is it the 3 year gap or has insurance and airport parking gone up massively in price? 

It does seem to have gone up loads.  Airport hotel / parking / shuttle packages also have gone up lots.

We flew fro Gatwick recently.  We would usually use a hotel stay and parking package, but prices were extortionate.

Called our local taxi guy - £175 each way to go from Harborough to Gatwick.  Ended up using Purple Parking using their drop-off service.  Slightly dearer than normal parking, but you drop your car off in the short stay next to the terminal, and just walk across.  They take it off site, and bring it back when you land.  Works great.

19 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Does anyone know the going rate for a taxi from Leicester to EMA? I've been quoted £45, not sure if that's alright or not...

I recall paying around £40 a few years back, although i didn't need to go as far as Leicester, but considering to increase in costs it seems decent enough.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I recall paying around £40 a few years back, although i didn't need to go as far as Leicester, but considering to increase in costs it seems decent enough.

Thanks, yes it seems about right then :thumbup:

20 hours ago, FLAN said:

Is it the 3 year gap or has insurance and airport parking gone up massively in price? 

I didnt think parking had gone up that much, I paid £85 meet and greet parking for two weeks at manchester. However I booked that last November but if i was to book for next week right now its £156!

Arrrgghh. I am already anxious enough about having to test ahead of our cruise, without this as well. 

Edit- actually now that they have released the full story (rather than just the breaking news headline) it seems that they are asking airlines not to sell anymore tickets to make passenger numbers more manageable, rather than asking airlines to cancel flights. Hopefully a good move, but not ideal for airlines who are no doubt still trying to cover shortfalls from the past two years. 

Edited by rachhere

11 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Next door neighbour had their flight cancelled last night by Ryanair after five hours being at BHX.

They hastily booked a flight for 6am this morning - but foolishly did it via an online agency. Of course there was no booking 

that is rough, poor guy 

On 11/07/2022 at 10:16, FLAN said:

I've booked a week's parking at Manchester, preceded by a night in the Holiday Inn at the airport and breakfast for 4, for £113. We then just have to pay a tenner to park at the hotel overnight. 

I've completed the compo form on the easyjet website for a flight cancelled less than a week from departure. Any one have experience of being successful in getting it and if so, how long did it take to get money back?

Luckily not in any hurry but seeing as I had to overpay on the only alternative flights, the compo I'm apparently entitled to would mean I only marginally break even overall.

Anyone who's been to both the Maldives and the Caribbean able to weigh up the pros and cons of both?

I've been to Barbados before and would love to take my missus, but at the same time I'd like to go somewhere new. If we opted for the Caribbean I'd want to do a few days in  St Lucia or Grenada, if feasible, as well as Barbados.

On 11/07/2022 at 10:16, FLAN said:

Have you checked https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk

I paid £3.20 to park near the Notts Ice Area last month. The NCP wanted £20.

And I found Stayshore good value for insurance, sure I've got a code for 20% off for friends somewhere.

Edited by FoyleFox

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Anyone who's been to both the Maldives and the Caribbean able to weigh up the pros and cons of both?

I've been to Barbados before and would love to take my missus, but at the same time I'd like to go somewhere new. If we opted for the Caribbean I'd want to do a few days in  St Lucia or Grenada, if feasible, as well as Barbados.

I was in Barbados in March (cricket). Grenada looks beautiful. I’m only going by the promo clips l saw whilst watching the test on tv. Although I’ve since heard it is lovely.
l know a couple of fellas that were in St Lucia (1st test…..sorry about the cricket references !) and they weren’t too impressed with the island, mostly all inc. hotels etc. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

I was in Barbados in March (cricket). Grenada looks beautiful. I’m only going by the promo clips l saw whilst watching the test on tv. Although I’ve since heard it is lovely.
l know a couple of fellas that were in St Lucia (1st test…..sorry about the cricket references !) and they weren’t too impressed with the island, mostly all inc. hotels etc. 

Thanks mate! And no worries about the cricket references - wondering if I can engineer it to coincide it with a West Indies home game. :ph34r:

• Haha 1