Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

Cyprus, Majorca, Marrakesh all still at good temps this time of year. But next week is half term, if you can delay your trip by a week you will surely get better deals 

Is it half term in Leicester next week then? It's not half term in the west mids until w/c 24th October, and I think that's true of the majority of England? 

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

Is it half term in Leicester next week then? It's not half term in the west mids until w/c 24th October, and I think that's true of the majority of England? 

Half term in Leicester  next week

13 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Ah good point dunno about Leicester. It’s half term in London defo as all the parents in my office have started the usual incessant whineathon about having to spend time with the children they willingly birthed 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Ah good point dunno about Leicester. It’s half term in London defo as all the parents in my office have started the usual incessant whineathon about having to spend time with the children they willingly birthed 

Lol! Ah ok, so it must vary across the country then. 

3 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Really tempted to go away by myself next week, any suggestions as to where will be hot and cheap?

It's still lovely and warm here in sunny southern Spain, and I've been to Malta later in the year than this and it's been hot. Turkey and Cyprus will also still be nice I would think

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Really tempted to go away by myself next week, any suggestions as to where will be hot and cheap?

23 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's still lovely and warm here in sunny southern Spain, and I've been to Malta later in the year than this and it's been hot. Turkey and Cyprus will also still be nice I would think

Sorted. Week at Deb's :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

I'm in Vilamoura at the moment and the weather is lovely. 25 to 28 degrees everyday so far, With Clear skies and plenty of Sunshine.

Prices are reasonable also. Though Car hire has got expensive recently.

Edited by Clever Fox
mistake
  • Like 1

Just got back from having 4 days in Rome, 26-28 degrees each day. Also pulled in the roma stadium tour. Dressing rooms and players facilities are not a patch on the KP. Usual touristy bits were amazing and thought the food and beer/wine was decently priced if you ate down the side streets. Pasta and pizza was around 10-12 euro and beer was around 5-8 euro. 

Daughter and her mate wanted to try Maccy Ds for lunch just to see. Quite nice to have Peroni with my burger.

On the aforementioned  tours it is worth paying the extra and having a guided skip the queue option.

• Like 1

Had a week in Portugal during half term with the family (Friday to Friday). Returned to the same place as last year as it was spot on and ticked all the boxes. We had a great time out there, arrived and it was 26 degrees. Weather was decent then until Wednesday when it started turning a bit (more cloudy and the odd small shower). Thursday was a complete washout, which was a shame as it was our last day and it was hard to entertain the kids (kids club and some games of pool/air hockey helped the eldest at least).

Overall a great family break and we would happily return to the same place for a third time. It really is spot on.

Saw a fair few Leicester shirts out there too. Didn't see much of the Palace game (a good thing) but did watch most of the Leeds game on the Thursday night in the hotel bar.

The kids now have their eyes set on a Florida holiday for Universal and Disney...will need to remortgage for that!!! Or start saving now. As the youngest is only 3 we want to wait another 2 years really. We will probably look at February half term time (seems a cheap time and also good for weather, non-storm season). So either 2024 or 2025 I would imagine.

Anyone here been in the area? Any tips/recommendations?

34 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The kids now have their eyes set on a Florida holiday for Universal and Disney...will need to remortgage for that!!! Or start saving now. As the youngest is only 3 we want to wait another 2 years really. We will probably look at February half term time (seems a cheap time and also good for weather, non-storm season). So either 2024 or 2025 I would imagine.

Anyone here been in the area? Any tips/recommendations?

Been a load of times to Orlando. If you are only going for a week I would pick either Disney or Universal to be honest (and my preference would always be Disney!). The tickets are what really push up the price of an Orlando holiday. If you were to consider other times of year, I would avoid Easter, but would consider towards the end of August when the American schools have gone back. You do get regular storms, but these tend to be around 4pm when you are ready to go back and have a bit of a rest anyway. There's so many decisions to make e.g. hotel vs villa, do you want to do stuff outside of the parks or just immerse yourself? Do you want to hire a car of stick to ubers/public transport. Disney and Universal are a reasonable distance from one another, so which parks you will stay in will determine where best to locate yourself. 

34 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Been a load of times to Orlando. If you are only going for a week I would pick either Disney or Universal to be honest (and my preference would always be Disney!). The tickets are what really push up the price of an Orlando holiday. If you were to consider other times of year, I would avoid Easter, but would consider towards the end of August when the American schools have gone back. You do get regular storms, but these tend to be around 4pm when you are ready to go back and have a bit of a rest anyway. There's so many decisions to make e.g. hotel vs villa, do you want to do stuff outside of the parks or just immerse yourself? Do you want to hire a car of stick to ubers/public transport. Disney and Universal are a reasonable distance from one another, so which parks you will stay in will determine where best to locate yourself. 

Thanks.

My wife has some family near Tampa (East side), about an hour from Disney. So location wise, we would probably stick ourselves somewhere between Tampa and Orlando. I don't think we want to stay at the Disney/Universal resort (at least not for the full duration) as it's expensive and we want to do some other bits too. I think hire car is essential and have already seen that you can get good deals with airlines as a fly/drive package. When I looked it was £300 to add car hire for a week to your flights with BA for example. Plus this will help us get between Orlando/Tampa area.

Hotel vs Villa is probably something we need to dive into a bit further and explore. Again, probably depends on price/location. We would probably look to do as close to 10 days as possible (and potentially take the kids out of school for 1/2 days). The problem with deciding between Universal and Disney is that the eldest (boy) is Universal vs the youngest (girl) being Disney!!! So I think we need to do both. We are happy with the fact that we cannot do all of Disney/Universal as you need a couple of weeks really.

We are still very early in deciding as we only really seriously started considering yesterday (and actually looking into details). Also feel booking everything separately might work out cheaper than going for a package?

6 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Thanks.

My wife has some family near Tampa (East side), about an hour from Disney. So location wise, we would probably stick ourselves somewhere between Tampa and Orlando. I don't think we want to stay at the Disney/Universal resort (at least not for the full duration) as it's expensive and we want to do some other bits too. I think hire car is essential and have already seen that you can get good deals with airlines as a fly/drive package. When I looked it was £300 to add car hire for a week to your flights with BA for example. Plus this will help us get between Orlando/Tampa area.

Hotel vs Villa is probably something we need to dive into a bit further and explore. Again, probably depends on price/location. We would probably look to do as close to 10 days as possible (and potentially take the kids out of school for 1/2 days). The problem with deciding between Universal and Disney is that the eldest (boy) is Universal vs the youngest (girl) being Disney!!! So I think we need to do both. We are happy with the fact that we cannot do all of Disney/Universal as you need a couple of weeks really.

We are still very early in deciding as we only really seriously started considering yesterday (and actually looking into details). Also feel booking everything separately might work out cheaper than going for a package?

Universal is quite a trek from Tampa - Disney that bit closer. You should be able to find a decent villa off the main road towards Tampa - I would definitely go for the villa route based on the location you are interested in. 

Fly drive package is definitely worth considering. Virgin are starting to fly into Tampa as well now, so that might bring the price down a bit with a bit more competition. Personally I would be wary of booking a villa as part of a package as I have seen so many stories of people who have had their chosen villa changed last minute and been allocated something really run down instead. Also they don't officially release the flights until around 11 months beforehand, and so any deals which you see for holidays prior to then will have a bit of an impatience premium on them!

If your son is more into bigger rides, you might consider Busch Gardens which is in Tampa as a substitute for Universal - more convenient and will cost quite a bit less. Universal is great though, but probably less for younger kids to do than at Busch Gardens. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Universal is quite a trek from Tampa - Disney that bit closer. You should be able to find a decent villa off the main road towards Tampa - I would definitely go for the villa route based on the location you are interested in. 

Fly drive package is definitely worth considering. Virgin are starting to fly into Tampa as well now, so that might bring the price down a bit with a bit more competition. Personally I would be wary of booking a villa as part of a package as I have seen so many stories of people who have had their chosen villa changed last minute and been allocated something really run down instead. Also they don't officially release the flights until around 11 months beforehand, and so any deals which you see for holidays prior to then will have a bit of an impatience premium on them!

If your son is more into bigger rides, you might consider Busch Gardens which is in Tampa as a substitute for Universal - more convenient and will cost quite a bit less. Universal is great though, but probably less for younger kids to do than at Busch Gardens. 

I don't think I would go for a flight and hotel package to be honest, from first looks. The flight and hire car are very good deals though and due to us not being based in one place and travelling around a bit, a car is a must.

The eldest is currently 5 (so will be 7ish when we go). He is not into majorly big rides but things like the Minions at Universal and Jurassic bit would really interest him. It would of course be much easier if both kids had the same taste but that's life! I also feel that if we travel so far, it would make sense to try to max out on doing things (but also wary that it will be extremely exhausting, especially for the kids). Lots to consider and plan but we have time.