Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

45 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Going Bruges again (4th time) over remembrance weekend as part of my Dads 60th birthday celebrations! You just can't go wrong with the place really :)

Looking forward to going in the Le Trappiste again and visiting Ypres and Dunkirk on the way there and back.

Le Trappiste is such a cool bar. :beer:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Going Bruges again (4th time) over remembrance weekend as part of my Dads 60th birthday celebrations! You just can't go wrong with the place really :)

Looking forward to going in the Le Trappiste again and visiting Ypres and Dunkirk on the way there and back.

I’m going for the 5th time in December. Can’t wait and will definitely be going to Le Trappiste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

A Bochum guy we know goes to Menin Gate every year so look out for a wreath with Leicester & Bochum on it if you go there. He usually takes one.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

A Bochum guy we know goes to Menin Gate every year so look out for a wreath with Leicester & Bochum on it if you go there. He usually takes one.

Will do mate :thumbup:

Unfortunately we miss the usual 2 minutes silence and the last post there, but we're off to pay our respects on the way to Bruges anyway

• Like 1

Just now, DerbyshireFox said:

I’m off to Zagreb for 4 nights next week. Flights and accommodation at a decent hostel with a private room for £280. City tour, trip to Ljubljana and Lake Bled, and a day at Plitvice Lakes booked in.

That sounds fantastic. Been curious about Zagreb. Have a good time and post on here about how it was pls 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

That sounds fantastic. Been curious about Zagreb. Have a good time and post on here about how it was pls 

Will do. It was too good an opportunity not to go for. Dubrovnik and Split seem to be the most popular places in Croatia so I’m looking forward to seeing what it has to offer

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fathead1981 said:

Just booked an All inclusive week in Malta for mid November, nice hotel and only £440 smackers, anyone advise if its worth hiring a car to tour the island and what is best to visit?

November is a great time to visit Malta, still lovely and warm but far less crowded than the summer.

Yes it's worth having a car, they drive on the left but don't know how to use roundabouts. Make sure you check reviews of car hire companies, I've heard some horror stories even from the bigger names, we always use Zest https://www.zestcarrental.com/ and pay for the extra insurance, there's no nasty surprises then.

This is copied from a previous post:

Valletta is obviously amazing, you should try and get to the upper gardens at midday when they fire the cannons. The war museum in Valletta is superb, as is St John's Co cathedral. 

Marsaxlokk is well worth a visit, lovely fishing village with plenty of great restaurants. Near there is the Blue Grotto, take the boat trip into the caves, it's stunning. 

If you can take the ferry over to Gozo, it's a couple of euros each. You don't buy a ticket on the way there, just board the ferry, you pay on the way back, just buy the tickets from the terminal on Gozo. The Citadel in Victoria is beautiful. The hop on hop off bus is a good option for Gozo, they pick up right outside the ferry terminal. Haggle with them though! If you have a car you can take it over on the ferry, it was about 20EUR last time we did it a few years ago.

Mdina in Malta is also a must visit, as is the cathedral at Mosta. 

If there's a fiesta on while you're there go, they're fab, lots of food, music and amazing fireworks, Malta has about 30 fireworks factories, they love them.

• Like 1

Agree with posts about Lisbon being a top city. 

However I generally enjoyed it away from the sights - got the feeling its at tourist saturation level; there's plenty hidden if you just go wondering. We found an amazing viewpoint of the city near Sao Jorge Castle, chilled there for thirty minutes and be lucky if double figures walked in. Complete opposite at Portas do Sol. Timeout Market was chaos for example - but if the weather is good, get your food to take out and there's a grassed square outdoors. 

Generally though I've found Portugal a top country - very relaxed, people are very warm. 

Less said about Lisbon Airport though - delay central. Getting home at 5am for an originally schedule 9.30pm flight has not been kind to me. Appears they have major air traffic issues there. 

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

However I generally enjoyed it away from the sights - got the feeling its at tourist saturation level; there's plenty hidden if you just go wondering. We found an amazing viewpoint of the city near Sao Jorge Castle, chilled there for thirty minutes and be lucky if double figures walked in. Complete opposite at Portas do Sol. Timeout Market was chaos for example - but if the weather is good, get your food to take out and there's a grassed square outdoors. 

Generally though I've found Portugal a top country - very relaxed, people are very warm. 

Less said about Lisbon Airport though - delay central. Getting home at 5am for an originally schedule 9.30pm flight has not been kind to me. Appears they have major air traffic issues there. 

Was too busy for us as well. 3 cruise ships at the same time and the city is crippled.

On our second day, there was just our ship and it was a much more pleasant city to enjoy.

We also went to Oporto the next day and that was a brilliant place. I would recommend that more highly than Lisbon.

5 minutes ago, kenny said:

Was too busy for us as well. 3 cruise ships at the same time and the city is crippled.

On our second day, there was just our ship and it was a much more pleasant city to enjoy.

We also went to Oporto the next day and that was a brilliant place. I would recommend that more highly than Lisbon.

Went there with City - it's great, I would suggest helped that its not overwhelmed with visitors. Also found Porto a bit 'old fashioned' and better for it. 

4 hours ago, Fathead1981 said:

Just booked an All inclusive week in Malta for mid November, nice hotel and only £440 smackers, anyone advise if its worth hiring a car to tour the island and what is best to visit?

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

November is a great time to visit Malta, still lovely and warm but far less crowded than the summer.

Yes it's worth having a car, they drive on the left but don't know how to use roundabouts. Make sure you check reviews of car hire companies, I've heard some horror stories even from the bigger names, we always use Zest https://www.zestcarrental.com/ and pay for the extra insurance, there's no nasty surprises then.

This is copied from a previous post:

Valletta is obviously amazing, you should try and get to the upper gardens at midday when they fire the cannons. The war museum in Valletta is superb, as is St John's Co cathedral. 

Marsaxlokk is well worth a visit, lovely fishing village with plenty of great restaurants. Near there is the Blue Grotto, take the boat trip into the caves, it's stunning. 

If you can take the ferry over to Gozo, it's a couple of euros each. You don't buy a ticket on the way there, just board the ferry, you pay on the way back, just buy the tickets from the terminal on Gozo. The Citadel in Victoria is beautiful. The hop on hop off bus is a good option for Gozo, they pick up right outside the ferry terminal. Haggle with them though! If you have a car you can take it over on the ferry, it was about 20EUR last time we did it a few years ago.

Mdina in Malta is also a must visit, as is the cathedral at Mosta. 

If there's a fiesta on while you're there go, they're fab, lots of food, music and amazing fireworks, Malta has about 30 fireworks factories, they love them.

Foxesdeb is the one to ask about Malta as she gave us some good insight when we went in April.

We didnt hire a car and the buses etc are great and cheap.

Loved Malta, really great place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Definitely agree Lisbon is a top city and had a great time there…but Porto is even better.

What a place! 

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

2 hours ago, kenny said:

16 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Definitely agree Lisbon is a top city and had a great time there…but Porto is even better.

What a place! 

Good to know about Lisbon as we're looking to go there in May. 

8 hours ago, Fathead1981 said:

@FoxesDeb is on the money - I'm currently in Malta and it's gorgeous. Insurance-wise, you can cover any excess yourself on a daily basis, as I have done - can provide a link if necessary. Accept the driving  as it is and you'll be fine, they're a bit eccentric rather than maliciously aggressive. If you want a good beach, Ghadira Bay is very good. Went back to Mdina today and it was superb and looking forward to Marsaxlokk and Gozo in the next few days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

@FoxesDeb is on the money - I'm currently in Malta and it's gorgeous. Insurance-wise, you can cover any excess yourself on a daily basis, as I have done - can provide a link if necessary. Accept the driving  as it is and you'll be fine, they're a bit eccentric rather than maliciously aggressive. If you want a good beach, Ghadira Bay is very good. Went back to Mdina today and it was superb and looking forward to Marsaxlokk and Gozo in the next few days.

Many, many years ago on holiday in Malta my parents rented a car. The handbrake didn't work so the car rental people have Dad 2 house bricks to put behind the wheels. 

If recommend a boat tour of you're in Valletta. 

Flying off to Oz Wednesday lunchtime to see my sister for the first time in 4 and a half years since she moved to Perth.

I never complained during the travel restrictions because to me its such a privileged thing to moan about, but it's been shit having to wait this long.

I'm so bloody excited! :yahoo:

• Like 4

On 25/10/2022 at 21:44, DerbyshireFox said:

Will do. It was too good an opportunity not to go for. Dubrovnik and Split seem to be the most popular places in Croatia so I’m looking forward to seeing what it has to offer

I organised a trip for 8 of us to Dubrovnik earlier in the year and it was fantastic.Struck gold with the Airbnb.

would even go again.

Went years ago when it was Yugoslavia to the Rovinj area which was also very nice.Enjoy

• Like 2