Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Booked for Whitby next year and I am really looking forward to it. We went loads in my childhood, but I haven't been in about 20 years. I found a place in a rural location outside of the town where apparently they regularly have hare, barn owls and little owls hanging out. I thought about staying in the town, but it was half the price and I think we will appreciate the peace and quiet further out. Any recommendations from people who have been there more recently? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Booked for Whitby next year and I am really looking forward to it. We went loads in my childhood, but I haven't been in about 20 years. I found a place in a rural location outside of the town where apparently they regularly have hare, barn owls and little owls hanging out. I thought about staying in the town, but it was half the price and I think we will appreciate the peace and quiet further out. Any recommendations from people who have been there more recently? 

I went last summer for two days two nights, loved it despite being well cold. The place is tiny so we knew our way around within about an hour. Star inn at the harbour was good for lunch and a day trip to robin hoods bay was fun. Otherwise it’s so so small you don’t need to plan anything, we rocked up, found a b&b and took it from there 

Edited by grobyfox1990
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

anybody know what egypt is like in late January? (Sharm el Sheikh, rather than the pyramids!)

In what sense? Weather?

I've been in December and February, weather was great. The sun does set early afternoon, so your day by the pool isn't beyond about 5pm. A great place to go for a winter sun break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

anybody know what egypt is like in late January? (Sharm el Sheikh, rather than the pyramids!)

I recall someone I worked with going to Egypt around Christmas and it snowed! I think a bit of a freak event though, and it's generally a nice time to visit! 

3 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I find Luton and to an extent East Midlands is OK. Birmingham is a joke, I park at the train station as it usually works out cheaper (especially for shorter trips). Stansted is also ridiculous, so I park nearby.

If going from Birmingham i park at Lea Hall,plenty of street parking then train to the airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Cape Town next Friday for a couple of weeks.

I’m a bit of a regular as I’ve not found anywhere that matches South Africa for scenery and value for money when it comes to food and drink.

Highly recommend it. 

South Africa is high on our places to visit list. We found a cruise which ends in Cape Town, after visiting Durban and would then plan to stay for a few nights. Only sails once a year, so probably be one for 2024. I'll look forward to getting some tips from you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgefox said:

Iceland end of February for a mate’s surprise 50th

Thailand for 5 days in April as a mate is going the same time as me and thought why not en route to Bali.

Hopefully they let me in this time.Failed a PCR last year in Singapore due to dead covid cells still present.

You’ll love Iceland. One tip for you is ignore the blue lagoon and head for a place called Fludir . There’s a secret lagoon there that’s less than half the price. You’ll need a car but hire is quite reasonable there and you get to see some of the most stunning scenery on the planet. Another plus in Fludir is the fish and chips shop next to the lagoon. Best I’ve ever had and trust me,I eat a lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Not really a holiday but having a day/night in Lincoln end of this month. Any recommendations (food/drink/things to see)?

Top end - Steep Hill. That's all you really need. Lived there for years and it's your standard, slightly rubbish market city. Brayford is ok but it's slightly ruined by the chain restaurants, rather than nice ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonthefox said:

You’ll love Iceland. One tip for you is ignore the blue lagoon and head for a place called Fludir . There’s a secret lagoon there that’s less than half the price. You’ll need a car but hire is quite reasonable there and you get to see some of the most stunning scenery on the planet. Another plus in Fludir is the fish and chips shop next to the lagoon. Best I’ve ever had and trust me,I eat a lot.

Many thanks for that.Appreciated.

8 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Not really a holiday but having a day/night in Lincoln end of this month. Any recommendations (food/drink/things to see)?

Two top boozers next to each other on the hill in the Cardinal's Hat and Strait & Narrow. Beerheadz is good up by the cathedral too.

• Thanks 1

@grobyfox1990 fly back from Zagreb tomorrow. It’s a lovely small city, very safe, lots of places to eat and although not much of a drinker, lots of good beer I’m told! A lot of the old buildings have scaffolding up as they had an earthquake a couple of years ago, but it doesn’t detract from the scenery. There’s a bustling food market as well which comes highly recommended. I’m told Zagreb hosts an award winning Christmas market, so perhaps a good time to visit. 

Flight wise I only took hand luggage and an extra hand case for 10Kg which kept the flight cost down. The £120 for the flight included insurance. The Hostel I’ve stayed at is comfortable. Has a bar and an Asian restaurant attached (not good for sleep on Mondays and Fridays when bar is open till 2am! Earplugs are available at reception!). I’ve had great weather whilst I’ve been here. Sunshine and occasional cloud but up to 19-20 degrees. 

Zagreb is a great base for day trips as it’s so close to borders of its neighbours. I took a day trip to Ljubljana and Lake Bled in Slovenia, which was stunning. Today I’ve been to Plitvice National Park, the most popular national park in Croatia and an UNESCO world heritage site. Off season and great weather made for stunning scenery. I shall see if I can upload some pictures.

In short, go for it. Zagreb has lots to offer to everyone, be it’s many museums, variety of food and stunning scenery. It is worth noting that from January 1st, the Croatian currency changes to the Euro and becomes part of the Schengen zone, so border crossings by car become much easier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

@grobyfox1990 fly back from Zagreb tomorrow. It’s a lovely small city, very safe, lots of places to eat and although not much of a drinker, lots of good beer I’m told! A lot of the old buildings have scaffolding up as they had an earthquake a couple of years ago, but it doesn’t detract from the scenery. There’s a bustling food market as well which comes highly recommended. I’m told Zagreb hosts an award winning Christmas market, so perhaps a good time to visit. 

Flight wise I only took hand luggage and an extra hand case for 10Kg which kept the flight cost down. The £120 for the flight included insurance. The Hostel I’ve stayed at is comfortable. Has a bar and an Asian restaurant attached (not good for sleep on Mondays and Fridays when bar is open till 2am! Earplugs are available at reception!). I’ve had great weather whilst I’ve been here. Sunshine and occasional cloud but up to 19-20 degrees. 

Zagreb is a great base for day trips as it’s so close to borders of its neighbours. I took a day trip to Ljubljana and Lake Bled in Slovenia, which was stunning. Today I’ve been to Plitvice National Park, the most popular national park in Croatia and an UNESCO world heritage site. Off season and great weather made for stunning scenery. I shall see if I can upload some pictures.

In short, go for it. Zagreb has lots to offer to everyone, be it’s many museums, variety of food and stunning scenery. It is worth noting that from January 1st, the Croatian currency changes to the Euro and becomes part of the Schengen zone, so border crossings by car become much easier. 

That’s brilliant, really good overview and exactly the type of info I’d want to hear, thanks for remembering me and sharing. Glad you had a good time, zagreb now firmly on my list! 

• Like 1

After requesting advice for all inclusive holidays earlier in the thread we decided to go with a week at the new Ikos Odisia for next September. Cost us a lot more than we wanted to spend but the pay monthly option with Jet2, what they cover and the reviews of the sister resorts swayed us to just go for it. Not gonna wish the next 11 months or so away but will definitely be ready for it come around.

10 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

After requesting advice for all inclusive holidays earlier in the thread we decided to go with a week at the new Ikos Odisia for next September. Cost us a lot more than we wanted to spend but the pay monthly option with Jet2, what they cover and the reviews of the sister resorts swayed us to just go for it. Not gonna wish the next 11 months or so away but will definitely be ready for it come around.

I have only used jet2 once before, but they made a very good impression

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 16:15, rachhere said:

I have only used jet2 once before, but they made a very good impression

Yeah i've used them before. Very efficient company and i love ther fact they fetch your bags from the hotel before going home.