Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 14/12/2022 at 17:21, Solihullfox said:

We are off Palma, Majorca on Friday for 5 nights 

Never been to the city despite many trips to the island. Got some great restaurants booked and plenty to do during the day.

Will post some stuff when we are back and must say I’m looking forward to some lovely weather ( between 18 to 20 centigrade the whole time) 

We had a fantastic few days in Palma  and got back last night after fantastic weather the whole time we were there, temperatures between 19 and 22 degrees and pretty much wall to wall sunshine.

The city is lovely, clean, easy to get around and very friendly people.

Visits to Cathedral and Royal Palace are a must.

Had a day over at Puerto Portals which was very nice with good food, wine and a top class Christmas market.

Eat at four top class restaurants in Palma city with some beautiful tapas, one fairly traditional (El Camino) and 3 a bit more off the wall but really good ( La Vieja, Vandal and Duke )

We stayed at Palma Suites Residence which can’t recommend highly enough with fantastic staff and lovely accommodation.

Recommend a Palma trip to anyone and we are going back again

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Barbados and St Lucia. Been to the former before but can't for the life of me remember what I took!

St Lucia uses UK 240v plugs, Barbados is US 2 or 3 pin and on a lower voltage. 110v I think.

I've always found most appliances work but more slowly - i.e. phone charger.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

St Lucia uses UK 240v plugs, Barbados is US 2 or 3 pin and on a lower voltage. 110v I think.

I've always found most appliances work but more slowly - i.e. phone charger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechEye-Worldwide-Charger-Universal-compatible-Black/dp/B094DVH5D4/ref=sr_1_66?adgrpid=54667060793&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIybv9n6iN_AIVk4BQBh2-wQAREAAYASAAEgIAv_D_BwE&hvadid=259088539159&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006643&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18430407215168221830&hvtargid=kwd-309323622223&hydadcr=5084_1827848&keywords=worldwide+plug+adapter&qid=1671715345&sr=8-66

We got fed up with remembering who had what and got a couple of universal ones, some usb ones and similar for actual plugs.

• Thanks 1

On 13/09/2022 at 16:02, FoyleFox said:

Just googled that. Not in a month of Sundays am I going there :jawdrop:

I thank you for this tip but :jawdrop:   I get a bit queasy on a step stool...........:)

I know this is from a while back but there was a collapse in part of the footpath (caminito del Rey) last week ….. reminded me of @FoyleFox response.  A shrewdie no doubt 😉

29 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

I know this is from a while back but there was a collapse in part of the footpath (caminito del Rey) last week ….. reminded me of @FoyleFox response.  A shrewdie no doubt 😉

Blimey! https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2022/12/14/landslides-cause-part-of-caminito-del-rey-to-collapse-as-storms-lash-costa-del-sol/

I said that was one to avoid.... :whistle:

Just booked a week in Gran Canaria for March.

Looking to hike the islands section of the GR131, with a couple days relaxing on either side.

Haven't been over that way since my early teens, but looks like it has some beautiful scenery and some nice wild camp spots along the way. Looking forward to it.

looking for some advice...

Realised I have my kids with me for half term (February) and thought about booking a holiday somewhere warm (ish). Guessing it is likely to be Tenerife/Canaries at that time of year for some reasonable weather. Not bothered about being too hot - just nice and warm. Nice hotel with pools and all inclusive type thing? Probably with a access to water park or similar for the kids.

Don't want to go extravagant - seems to be some reasonable offers on the likes of Jet2. Where else to look? Any recommendations? 

26 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Realised I have my kids with me for half term (February) and thought about booking a holiday somewhere warm (ish). Guessing it is likely to be Tenerife/Canaries at that time of year for some reasonable weather. Not bothered about being too hot - just nice and warm. Nice hotel with pools and all inclusive type thing? Probably with a access to water park or similar for the kids.

Don't want to go extravagant - seems to be some reasonable offers on the likes of Jet2. Where else to look? Any recommendations? 

I have used https://www.onthebeach.co.uk/ and https://www.loveholidays.com/ before, I think they are the same company and Love Holidays usually comes out a few pounds cheaper. You can use them just for info too, find the holiday you like the look of, then find the flights and book them direct yourself if it works out cheaper, and just use them for the hotel, or again, book it directly.

You don't get the same protection that you get with a package so that's worth bearing in mind but it's never bothered me. Also it's been a few years since I've used them so I can't say if they are still cheaper, but they certainly used to be pre covid in my experience.

I agree that the Canaries is probably the best shout for that time of year with children :) 

7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I have used https://www.onthebeach.co.uk/ and https://www.loveholidays.com/ before, I think they are the same company and Love Holidays usually comes out a few pounds cheaper. You can use them just for info too, find the holiday you like the look of, then find the flights and book them direct yourself if it works out cheaper, and just use them for the hotel, or again, book it directly.

You don't get the same protection that you get with a package so that's worth bearing in mind but it's never bothered me. Also it's been a few years since I've used them so I can't say if they are still cheaper, but they certainly used to be pre covid in my experience.

I agree that the Canaries is probably the best shout for that time of year with children :) 

Thanks Deb. I'm not much of sun lover anyway, but a guess a bit of warm weather would be nice (just got home from Christmas and New Year in Norway where the weather is brutal!)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I'd have a look at Egypt, weather is always good and used to be competitively priced, although I've not looked since before Covid. Hotels used to be a great standard for the price. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2023 at 12:31, Lako42 said:

Fancy a Nile river holidays taking in the Pyramids etc

Anyone done it? 

Last March did a week travelling up the Nile and then a week in Hurghada. Sadly no pyramids as Cairo is quite a distance from Luxor, but lots of day trips to many historical/ancient sites. Including Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsuts temple, unfinished obilisk etc. 

Absolutely loved it, the hotel we stayed in was probably the best hotel i've ever been too and the staff were 10/10. 

Even though it was an amazing 'off my bucket list' holiday, i didnt like Egypt as a country. Nearly every town/city you travel thru will have more unfinished buildings than completed ones and the worst part is there are 100's of beggars at every site you visit.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Last March did a week travelling up the Nile and then a week in Hurghada. Sadly no pyramids as Cairo is quite a distance from Luxor, but lots of day trips to many historical/ancient sites. Including Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsuts temple, unfinished obilisk etc. 

Absolutely loved it, the hotel we stayed in was probably the best hotel i've ever been too and the staff were 10/10. 

Even though it was an amazing 'off my bucket list' holiday, i didnt like Egypt as a country. Nearly every town/city you travel thru will have more unfinished buildings than completed ones and the worst part is there are 100's of beggars at every site you visit.  

This is Egypt all over. Though you have done it a mis-service by forgetting how amazing the red sea is. We swam with wild dolphins and our hotel had its own coral reef to snorkel round.

I would go again just for the wildlife.

• Like 1

Looks like I’m going to go to America for my honeymoon this year. We will be going to nyc and likely Washington or Boston not 100% sure. For NYC looking at hotels and there is just so many options, does anyone have any recommendations in terms of areas to stay/hotels?

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Looks like I’m going to go to America for my honeymoon this year. We will be going to nyc and likely Washington or Boston not 100% sure. For NYC looking at hotels and there is just so many options, does anyone have any recommendations in terms of areas to stay/hotels?

NYC - The Ameritania Broadway and W54th. Just up from Times Square and adjoining the Ed Sullivan Theatre. I once watched Letterman live on TV from a room in there and it was being broadcast from the other side of the wall. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

We stayed in 2 around West 36th Street. Everything was really easy to walk to. The higher the West St you go, the higher the prices. A lot obviously depends on what you want from the hotel and what you want to pay. I'm very much after competitively priced and functional on a City break, due to its purpose just being washing, changing and sleeping. Although, competitively priced and NYC aren't really a thing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

A while ago now but we stayed at the Millennium Hilton on 42nd street/midtown Manhattan, next to the UN headquarters.

Our room faced the Chrysler building and its also close to the Empire State building.

If/when we ever go back, I'd happily stay there again.

• Like 1