Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

40 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Looks like I’m going to go to America for my honeymoon this year. We will be going to nyc and likely Washington or Boston not 100% sure. For NYC looking at hotels and there is just so many options, does anyone have any recommendations in terms of areas to stay/hotels?

The Roxy in SoHo/Tribeca is good, Paramount Hotel on 46th & Broadway looks great on paper but avoid at all costs - rooms are tiny and the staff are totally up themselves. Haven’t stayed at the Beeckman myself but friends were there last year and absolutely loved it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Looks like I’m going to go to America for my honeymoon this year. We will be going to nyc and likely Washington or Boston not 100% sure. For NYC looking at hotels and there is just so many options, does anyone have any recommendations in terms of areas to stay/hotels?

Hilton Times Square. Or anywhere Times Square. You’re in nyc, get in the heart of the action and book some luxury. I worked in Washington for 1.5 years, great city 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Thanks guys, as it is out honeymoon we will prob go abit more extravagant that usual but there are just so many options. I think first step find the area we want to stay in then look at options. 

I got married in New York and stayed in The Library, that was a great place. Well worth a look.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Hilton Times Square. Or anywhere Times Square. You’re in nyc, get in the heart of the action and book some luxury. I worked in Washington for 1.5 years, great city 

Would you recommend Washington for a few nights then?

6 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Would you recommend Washington for a few nights then?

Absolutely yes. I would’ve transferred there permanently if the yanks didn’t treat their workers like slave labour and my partner who I was just about to propose to hadn’t stated multiple times she’d never work in the US. All the museums, ice hockey at the caps, booze around Alexandria, eat in Georgetown, walk down the national mall, see the White House, secret service district. Ahh good times 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Absolutely yes. I would’ve transferred there permanently if the yanks didn’t treat their workers like slave labour and my partner who I was just about to propose to hadn’t stated multiple times she’d never work in the US. All the museums, ice hockey at the caps, booze around Alexandria, eat in Georgetown, walk down the national mall, see the White House, secret service district. Ahh good times 

Sold 

7 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Any tips on Mexico.

Feb/May better?

Son is massively in to history; so looking to be within excursion distance of Tulum.

2 adults and 3 kids. Mexico kid friendly? All around 10 years old.

Bosh.

Are you kids cool and able to handle a bit of chaos. Are you cool and able to handle putting your kids through a bit of chaos. If so you will all love it 

19 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Are you kids cool and able to handle a bit of chaos. Are you cool and able to handle putting your kids through a bit of chaos. If so you will all love it 

My son is autistic (we used to say Aspergers until apparently that became a bad thing to say) - he doesn't really do well with chaos. My wife is a worrier. I'm real cool.

13 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

My son is autistic (we used to say Aspergers until apparently that became a bad thing to say) - he doesn't really do well with chaos. My wife is a worrier. I'm real cool.

Yeh the Latin Americans don't really care for the European way of mega tension, anxiety and mad neuroticism. Maybe look to book an organised tour or similar? You get good deals via travelzoo

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Looking for 5 days in Easter.

Got it down to either Lisbon or Athens..

Anyone been to either?

Lisbon is great and I highly recommend it but Porto just edged it for me.

Athens has some spectacular sights but I think for general walking about then Lisbon is the better city. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/01/2023 at 17:45, Unabomber said:

We honeymooned in NYC for 5 days before flying to Canada.  We stayed in times Square at the Novotel.  Great views down over times Square, a lovely roof top bar and nice and central too. 

One top tip though, book in at Gallagher's steakhouse.  Literally the best steak I've ever eaten and a proper NYC landmark. (It's right next to the Novotel)

2 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

We honeymooned in NYC for 5 days before flying to Canada.  We stayed in times Square at the Novotel.  Great views down over times Square, a lovely roof top bar and nice and central too. 

One top tip though, book in at Gallagher's steakhouse.  Literally the best steak I've ever eaten and a proper NYC landmark. (It's right next to the Novotel)

Love a good steak so may go there thanks 

On 05/01/2023 at 10:57, The People's Hero said:

Any tips on Mexico.

Feb/May better?

Son is massively in to history; so looking to be within excursion distance of Tulum.

2 adults and 3 kids. Mexico kid friendly? All around 10 years old.

Bosh.

Mexico is amazing! Loved it myself, went in the summer with my then 5,3 and 6 month old. 

The hotels are a different level and if you stay in the Riviera Maya then Tulum isn't far at all. We went with tui and they do loads of excursions. 

My top tip, is about tipping. The staff work long hours and get paid **** all, they go with the American expectation of tipping but the staff are incredible and really appreciative of it (we got to know certain staff so never had to queue at the bar, we sat in the same seats every meal as we knew where we liked and they saved the table for us etc). The accept US dollars so I just took an extra £200 worth of dollars with me to tip. You don't have to but it goes along way and we factored into the cost of our holiday. 

I couldn't recommend it enough and wish I could afford to go back again this year tbh. 

Oh and Feb is their dry season. I think may is still good too but more chance of rain. We had some crazy thunderstorms in June.

Does anybody have any experience of buying tickets for a New York Knicks basketball game? Any trusted websites, idea on prices etc? Is there even any point or are they gold dust? 

We’re going to NY in November and it would be a real bucket list thing for me to watch some sport at MSG. 

And - has anyone here ever been to Turin before? 

Edited by Manini

25 minutes ago, Manini said:

Does anybody have any experience of buying tickets for a New York Knicks basketball game? Any trusted websites, idea on prices etc? Is there even any point or are they gold dust? 

We’re going to NY in November and it would be a real bucket list thing for me to watch some sport at MSG. 

And - has anyone here ever been to Turin before? 

Yeh bought Knick’s tickets on stub hub. Well easy, print at hotel 

Just now, Manini said:

Class! Nice one 

Sorry pressed send too quickly on earlier message. Think we paid $90 each (group of 4), loads of tickets available (only purchased on morning of game) and it was generally all very very easy. Like with most yank sports the concession prices are absurd so eat and drink before you get in