Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Could do with some Turin, Milan and Venice food and drink recommendations if anybody has any. Wider recommendations for things to do in Turin also welcome. 

Some nice trattorie and osterie in Canareggio. Along the Fondamenta de la Misericordia there were some good places although I can't remember specific names. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, bovril said:

Some nice trattorie and osterie in Canareggio. Along the Fondamenta de la Misericordia there were some good places although I can't remember specific names. 

Just remembered Paradiso Perduto where I ate quite a lot when in Venice. Last time I went I was sitting with two Thai women from Coventry who were adamant there was something fishy with helicopter crash in '18. 

Looking at Athens now 

Like a previous poster I like a place with a bit more edge and somewhere a bit different, as long as it's got decent cuisine and isn't silly money. 

Plus you've got the option of a day dicking around on an island for a change of pace. 

Edited by Lako42

Any tips welcome for the following 

Gdansk this weekend.

April:

Barcelona

Lleida

Alquezar 

Zaragoza 

Tarragona

May:

Might fly to Faro and hire a car. So anywhere around there that's worth going to would be helpful. Flew there on the way to Seville once and want to avoid any time actually in Faro if possible!

July:

Bratislava

Budapest

Szeged

Belgrade

Sarajevo 

Mostar

Kotor

Budva

We'll have a car from Belgrade so anywhere slightly out of the way would be great too.

1 hour ago, ousefox said:

Gdansk this weekend.

April:

Barcelona

Lleida

Alquezar 

Zaragoza 

Tarragona

May:

Might fly to Faro and hire a car. So anywhere around there that's worth going to would be helpful. Flew there on the way to Seville once and want to avoid any time actually in Faro if possible!

July:

Bratislava

Budapest

Szeged

Belgrade

Sarajevo 

Mostar

Kotor

Budva

We'll have a car from Belgrade so anywhere slightly out of the way would be great too.

We've been to Zaragoza, it's a typical small Spanish city and probably only needs a day. Our last visit was possibly slightly marred as we mostly spent the evening trying to find somewhere to watch us on TV, without success.

Tarragona is lovely, we stayed in a hotel on a small square that was buzzing all day and evening with loads of places to eat and drink, very close to the amphitheatre, it really is a lovely place.

The areas around Faro are lovely, we love Vilamoura for the marina, Albufeira is a bit more lively but think Portuguese Benidorm. Tavira and Olhao are quainter and a bit more traditional, all within about half an hour of Faro, but well worth a visit.

1 hour ago, ousefox said:

Gdansk this weekend.

April:

Barcelona

Lleida

Alquezar 

Zaragoza 

Tarragona

May:

July:

Bratislava

Budapest

Szeged

Belgrade

Sarajevo 

Mostar

Kotor

Budva

Living crisis, what living crisis!!!😁😁😁😎

Barcelona  is an amazing city.

Loads to walk around and see, great food and you got beaches too...oh and the  football club!

Echo what debs said regards  faro and villamoura,  really beautiful marina.

There are loads of quaint beaches and marinas along that coast, algarve in general is very pleasant.

Enjoy 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ousefox said:

Gdansk this weekend.

April:

Barcelona

Lleida

Alquezar 

Zaragoza 

Tarragona

May:

July:

Bratislava

Budapest

Szeged

Belgrade

Sarajevo 

Mostar

Kotor

Budva

No tips but you got a spare seat? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Looking at Athens now 

Like a previous poster I like a place with a bit more edge and somewhere a bit different, as long as it's got decent cuisine and isn't silly money. 

Plus you've got the option of a day dicking around on an island for a change of pace. 

Loved Athens! If you go make sure you go to the original Olympic stadium. We went early to the Acropolis which was a good move as it gets busy and super hot. The public transport is good, so easy to go and see different places. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rachhere said:

Loved Athens! If you go make sure you go to the original Olympic stadium. We went early to the Acropolis which was a good move as it gets busy and super hot. The public transport is good, so easy to go and see different places. 

I was gonna propose up the Acropolis but once I was up there and seen how rammed it was I thought better of it. 
Still popped the question that trip though. 😔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 23/01/2023 at 13:30, foxfanazer said:

Off to Dubrovnik in May. Any recommendations on places to visit or anything?

Also going to Dublin for the first time in Feb. Already got the Guiness factory booked :beer:

Old Town in Dubrovnik is great and a free walking tour is a fantastic way to get your bearings. The castle walls are worth walking round too.

If you're eating there, go down the side streets as you'll get more for your money. The secret Buza bar in the Old Town wall is a gem with views out to sea. Follow the signs for 'Cold Drinks'.

Away from there, take a short ferry to Lokrum for a change of pace. Lapad, where a lot of hotels are, has a nice promenade with restaurants and bars. Visit the cave bar there too.

As for Dublin, head for Thomas Street if you're doing Guinness. Some nice pubs there which are cheaper than Temple Bar.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We've been to Zaragoza, it's a typical small Spanish city and probably only needs a day. Our last visit was possibly slightly marred as we mostly spent the evening trying to find somewhere to watch us on TV, without success.

Tarragona is lovely, we stayed in a hotel on a small square that was buzzing all day and evening with loads of places to eat and drink, very close to the amphitheatre, it really is a lovely place.

The areas around Faro are lovely, we love Vilamoura for the marina, Albufeira is a bit more lively but think Portuguese Benidorm. Tavira and Olhao are quainter and a bit more traditional, all within about half an hour of Faro, but well worth a visit.

Superb - so helpful thank you.

18 hours ago, Raj said:

Living crisis, what living crisis!!!😁😁😁😎

Barcelona  is an amazing city.

Loads to walk around and see, great food and you got beaches too...oh and the  football club!

Echo what debs said regards  faro and villamoura,  really beautiful marina.

There are loads of quaint beaches and marinas along that coast, algarve in general is very pleasant.

Enjoy 

Thank you!

On 24/01/2023 at 17:56, StanSP said:

Gone a bit holiday crazy this year lol

Malaga, Lyon, Lisbon all booked. And that's just up to May lol

Going to York for a weekend break with the missus in July. Any recommendations on where to visit are appreciated. Already looking to go to the Railway Museum and Betty's Cafe Tea Rooms, and wonder around Shambles Market. Looking to go to a nice bar and restaurant so any tips please... 

Railway museum is the best.

Get yourself a York Pass. Gets you into loads of places.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2023 at 17:30, Unabomber said:

I appreciate that this is absolutely textbook but I think I’m going to Amsterdam on my stag. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas on things to do? That is besides the hookers and weed. Thanks 

Rijksmuseum

Stedelijk museum
A match at Ajax

A gig at the Melkweg

The Heineken brewery used to be all you could drink and eat but I think they’ve drastically limited the amount of stuff you get now

Canal tours are ace as you see everything from a different perspective

Brown bars for the gin

Trams are great for sightseeing 

A cheap return train to the seaside at Zandvoort

• Like 1

Have arrived and had my first dip in the Caribbean ..  favourite shorts now drying out ..  I’m already one nil up in our celebrity watch competition ..  saw Hugh Bonneville last night ..  was going to ask him if Hudson the butler was looking after the castle while he was away but as usual Mrs CF put her foot down and held me back. 

D996B09A-6FF3-4968-A7B6-58B57D9999FE.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Have arrived and had my first dip in the Caribbean ..  favourite shorts now drying out ..  I’m already one nil up in our celebrity watch competition ..  saw Hugh Bonneville last night ..  was going to ask him if Hudson the butler was looking after the castle while he was away but as usual Mrs CF put her foot down and held me back. 

Great to see the old faves are still going round the world! Enjoy your holiday :) 

• Like 1

Sure they’re the same ones? 

Look a tad larger…

• Haha 1

Have a great time !!!

We will be in Barbados in a few weeks time and celebrity spotting at Sandy Lane 

The beach is public even if they don’t like the riff raff sitting on it 🙂

1 hour ago, Solihullfox said:

Have a great time !!!

We will be in Barbados in a few weeks time and celebrity spotting at Sandy Lane 

The beach is public even if they don’t like the riff raff sitting on it 🙂

Went on a Catamaran tour up the west coast two weeks ago and anchored off there for lunch. Had a jump in the sea off the boat and a walk along the beach past the snobs. Got a few funny looks. :D

Edited by Voll Blau