Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Anyone done an organised trip to Montenegro? Is it worth it or do they just they do the over touristy stuff? 

Part of the country I live in only flights to Dubrovnik and I've heard its reallly touristy so not that bothered as £xve done Split and the islands before, and getting to Montenegro and back isnt straightforward.

Kind of what to spend most of the week walking, seeing the sights and country and having scope to explore on our own, and then a couple of days by a non chav beach at the end.

6 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Thanks I’m sure we will, we do love walking so will hopefully see a lot by foot.

Shanksey’s pony….is how I travelled,trekked,hiked,strolled most of the short & far corners,of jungles,mountains & cities….

With the odd boat,train ( personal expeditions wagon),helping us along….

Its all the grandeur, romance,mysteries,excitement one finds on foot,a left turn out of danger,that same last turn opens another door, & suddenly a long right brings that splendour…which can be found on the simplest city block or on the those last tired legs,getting over/around a jungle/mountain bluff…

My deep adventure days are over, missing what walking those small steps can bring…That’s why I say to those have the inkling to want to know what their next

tours might bring, so long and how far as YOU can spread your dreams,keep on walking as long as you can…

and there will always be a great watering-hole,canteen,drinkery

to rest your tired feet..:cheers:

let’s hope our new 3 player investments, can run & walk us to first safety, then higher goals…:scarf:

• Like 2

On 01/02/2023 at 12:09, Nalis said:

Anyone done an organised trip to Montenegro? Is it worth it or do they just they do the over touristy stuff? 

Part of the country I live in only flights to Dubrovnik and I've heard its reallly touristy so not that bothered as £xve done Split and the islands before, and getting to Montenegro and back isnt straightforward.

Kind of what to spend most of the week walking, seeing the sights and country and having scope to explore on our own, and then a couple of days by a non chav beach at the end.

Not an organised trip but went to Montenegro in October. Flew to Dubrovnik and hired a car, 1.5ish hours to Kotor and stayed there for 3 nights. 

Some great towns around there but all very small. Kotor, Perast, Sveti Stefan, Tivat, Budva, Petrovac. Didn’t do it myself but Skadar Lake is meant to be ideal for the walking side of things. 

Beaches weren’t great overall but didn’t look too extensively!

Edited by jh95
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

****ing Flybe going under so no flights for us for my stag. Booked the Eurostar instead.

When are you going? Doing Amsterdam by Eurostar in April with my in-laws (birthday present for my father-in-law because he used to live over there).

Did Germany via Brussels by Eurostar a few months ago and the train looked practically empty when it pulled in from Amsterdam on the way back. Get the sense it's not that popular of a route!

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

When are you going? Doing Amsterdam by Eurostar in April with my in-laws (birthday present for my father-in-law because he used to live over there).

Did Germany via Brussels by Eurostar a few months ago and the train looked practically empty when it pulled in from Amsterdam on the way back. Get the sense it's not that popular of a route!

We are going end of august. Quite pleased actually as I really like travelling on the Eurostar. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yeah, beats flying for me. Shame there's a four tin limit though - definitely isn't enough for a four-and-a-half hour journey!

I didn’t know there was a limit. Could do that and a bottle of wine. Also the bar is on the train too.

Edited by Unabomber

Id definitely prefer the Eurostar if I were just going to northern France or the Benelux countries as well. I’d always prefer to take the train or bus over flying if I’m honest, it’s just a much more enjoyable experience and always makes the journey feel more like part of the holiday and more of an “adventure”.

About a decade ago I did a mini tour round Scanadavia, took a bus from Gothenburg to the west coast of Norway. Took about 8 hours, I think I could’ve got a 50 minute flight (plus the journey out of town to the airport and the 2hr wait at the airport), but the bus journey through the Norwegian countryside and mountains was absolutely stunning and far more relaxing and enjoyable than a flight would’ve been. 

Felt far more like an “adventure” and part of the holiday than the flight would have.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Is that true?! In that case a friend and I inadvertently broke the rules, took a 6-pack each onboard for the game in Leuven in July. 

Haha, top work. Get the sense the security staff probably aren't that arsed at Saint Pancras. Probably just something they're sticklers for if they're expecting a particularly boisterous set of fans on trains as they have been known to run dry trains before ahead of European games.

• Like 1

Most of the time these days, if you’re just going somewhere to in EU, US, Australia etc. it’s just cheaper to withdraw cash at the airport of the country you’re travelling to once you’ve landed (though obviously check with the bank about charges on withdrawing abroad).  Obviously it’s a bit different if you’re going to a bit more of an obscure country. A lot high street currency exchanges will give you worse rates/fees than your bank though.

Edited by Sampson

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Most of the time these days, if you’re just going somewhere to in EU, US, Australia etc. it’s just cheaper to withdraw cash at the airport of the country you’re travelling to once you’ve landed (though obviously check with the bank about charges on withdrawing abroad).  Obviously it’s a bit different if you’re going to a bit more of an obscure country. A lot high street currency exchanges will give you worse rates/fees than your bank though.

Like I said, jut get a currency card. It's so much easier 

https://www.caxton.io/hello?ppc_keyword=caxton fx&utm_term=caxton fx&utm_campaign=Caxton Brand&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=1474651690&hsa_cam=16766281614&hsa_grp=134803306963&hsa_ad=591079576204&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=aud-1754772791978:kwd-6436432362&hsa_kw=caxton fx&hsa_mt=p&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiA_vKeBhAdEiwAFb_nrUU-Q0pFgy6B0HBFakHkTsEtqSHKngAoJ6VBY-DoZrA1hMi96WKKdRoCnFsQAvD_BwE