Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 31/01/2023 at 11:58, RowlattsFox said:

Heading to Prague in March with the Mrs.

Any particular recommendations of places to eat and drink? 

Also, never had to book taxi transfers before, usually find alternative ways of getting in to the centre of places. Anyone ever had any issues booking taxis through holiday extras or booking.com? Would rather have this paid for before we go. 

We went nearly 10 years ago, around April time. Not sure when in March you are going but when we went there were the Easter markets in town and they were great.

Can't remember particular places we went but everywhere does pretty good food from memory, meat/potatoe type stuff. If you like drinking then I suggest sticking to bars in side streets a little off the beaten track as they were dirt cheap (back then about 80p a pint). Having said that, even the central tourist spots were coming in around £1.60ish a pint. However, those side street bars/pubs will have more of a local/traditional feel.

We loved Prague, a fantastic city. Have you looked at public transport? I remember it being fairly straightforward.

On 25/01/2023 at 16:32, ousefox said:

Any tips welcome for the following 

Gdansk this weekend.

April:

Barcelona

Lleida

Alquezar 

Zaragoza 

Tarragona

May:

Might fly to Faro and hire a car. So anywhere around there that's worth going to would be helpful. Flew there on the way to Seville once and want to avoid any time actually in Faro if possible!

July:

Bratislava

Budapest

Szeged

Belgrade

Sarajevo 

Mostar

Kotor

Budva

We'll have a car from Belgrade so anywhere slightly out of the way would be great too.

Late to the party. We always go on holidays around Albufeira and love the Algarve. However, I have always been tempted to try something else in the region. The bit between Faro and Spain interests me, a lot of fishermen villages that have good reviews (Tavira being one of the bigger villages/towns). If you have hired a car I suggest you make the most of it and stop off at a few places. Suggestions that I would go for the other side of Faro (away from Spain):

Lagos

Portimao

Have a bit of a read up on the various places on the Algarve as there are lots of nice spots.

Sounds like a great few months ahead for you!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Late to the party. We always go on holidays around Albufeira and love the Algarve. However, I have always been tempted to try something else in the region. The bit between Faro and Spain interests me, a lot of fishermen villages that have good reviews (Tavira being one of the bigger villages/towns). If you have hired a car I suggest you make the most of it and stop off at a few places. Suggestions that I would go for the other side of Faro (away from Spain):

Lagos

Portimao

Have a bit of a read up on the various places on the Algarve as there are lots of nice spots.

Sounds like a great few months ahead for you!

That's the area we always went to. Tavira is nice, as is Olhao and Loule. Lots of nice villages to explore if you have a car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

Getting ready by putting in some practice at standing up in my office and trying to squeeze out past the dogs onto the landing.

330195076_871345387461986_7713136414598336423_n.jpg

Not to mention those people who stand with their noses against the baggage belt, meaning no one else can get their cases 

57 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Not to mention those people who stand with their noses against the baggage belt, meaning no one else can get their cases 

And the whole family stand there :mad:

They're on my list of people who shouldn't be allowed to travel, with people who aren't ready at security 🤬

And the ooh we've landed clappers!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Got a load of points and a companion voucher with BA which will go to waste if I don’t use it but would need the trip itself to be cheap. Has anyone been to Prague recently? If so, how much on average for food and drink would I be likely to spend?

16 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

We went nearly 10 years ago, around April time. Not sure when in March you are going but when we went there were the Easter markets in town and they were great.

Can't remember particular places we went but everywhere does pretty good food from memory, meat/potatoe type stuff. If you like drinking then I suggest sticking to bars in side streets a little off the beaten track as they were dirt cheap (back then about 80p a pint). Having said that, even the central tourist spots were coming in around £1.60ish a pint. However, those side street bars/pubs will have more of a local/traditional feel.

We loved Prague, a fantastic city. Have you looked at public transport? I remember it being fairly straightforward.

I've just looked and we just miss the Easter markets, which is a shame. 

Public transport looks a bit of a ballache from the airport. Plan to walk most places if weather is ok. 

• Like 1

Thinking of taking the little one abroad this summer for the first time. Been looking at premium resorts with the wife and the price is astronomical. £5k on average for quite common destinations many of which are breakfast only. Honestly don't know if I really want to spend that much given all the other cost pressures at the moment and the fact it's significantly more than what it would have cost precovid. 

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Going Edinburgh for a long weekend v soon. Any tips on good things to do, places to nab a drink, and good places to watch the Leicester game on Sky?

Definitely go and see the Royal Yacht Brittania at Leith (about 10/15 minutes on the bus from Princes Street). Book your tickets, found it really good.

The Dome is a must visit for a good cocktail. Great place.

You will find a pub to watch the footy in the Grassmarket area, take your pick

10 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Got a load of points and a companion voucher with BA which will go to waste if I don’t use it but would need the trip itself to be cheap. Has anyone been to Prague recently? If so, how much on average for food and drink would I be likely to spend?

Companion vouchers best value is for longer haul imo, how long until it expires (and is it one earned on the free or paid card)?

I used a voucher to get 2 of us from Madrid to Mexico City in Business for about 85000 avios + £500. Economy long haul using a voucher from Heathrow will be 50000-65000 miles plus £300 taxes all in.

Edited by martyn

7 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Thinking of taking the little one abroad this summer for the first time. Been looking at premium resorts with the wife and the price is astronomical. £5k on average for quite common destinations many of which are breakfast only. Honestly don't know if I really want to spend that much given all the other cost pressures at the moment and the fact it's significantly more than what it would have cost precovid. 

I've took my kids away abroad since they were babies. But no way would I spend that,.as ultimately, they don't really give a shit where they are. 

We used to do self catering eurocamp holidays alot when they were little. Those places are ideal for toddlers (smartish mobile homes I mean, I couldn't do a tent) ....plus they liked the adventure of a boat to France overnight 

Failing that, I'd go for a Airbnb apartment somewhere random where you get half decent priced ryanair flights (at least if under 2 the kids don't pay,,,) and just potter around the pool with some inflatables, get the kids knackered and go out to eat with them asleep in the pushchair 

2 hours ago, martyn said:

Companion vouchers best value is for longer haul imo, how long until it expires (and is it one earned on the free or paid card)?

I used a voucher to get 2 of us from Madrid to Mexico City in Business for about 85000 avios + £500. Economy long haul using a voucher from Heathrow will be 50000-65000 miles plus £300 taxes all in.

I agree, but I’ve just got back from South Africa so I can’t afford another long haul just yet so it’s either use it or lose it on a European trip.

It’s a paid card unfortunately.

On 13/02/2023 at 16:48, KrefelderFox666 said:

UBER works well out there too.

On 14/02/2023 at 19:24, martyn said:

I'd agree, I use my amex companion vouchers on long haul where poss as it's best value. i've used it a cpl of times to Malaga too, think I paid £20 return for 3 of us in business return with 20,000 avios... 

On 14/02/2023 at 12:02, ian__marshall said:

Prices are a disgrace I agree, especially in the summer holidays. I'm not sure when the tipping point will be as it's unaffordable for many now.

On 14/02/2023 at 12:02, ian__marshall said:

9 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Prices are a disgrace I agree, especially in the summer holidays. I'm not sure when the tipping point will be as it's unaffordable for many now.

Some friends asked us if we'd like to join them in Ibiza, we looked at just doing a 5 night mini break. It's over £1k each. And that's early June.

Has anyone been on holiday to Norway?

For some bizarre reason, the wife and kids have decided they want to go Norway for our summer holiday last week July/first week August.

Some place called Stavanger?

16 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Has anyone been on holiday to Norway?

For some bizarre reason, the wife and kids have decided they want to go Norway for our summer holiday last week July/first week August.

Some place called Stavanger?

Not sure "The Norwegian Petroleum Museum illuminates the oil industry with submersibles, a large drill bit and an escape chute" is quite on message these days. lol

• Haha 1