Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

24 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Not sure "The Norwegian Petroleum Museum illuminates the oil industry with submersibles, a large drill bit and an escape chute" is quite on message these days. lol

FFS we might as well go Aberdeen :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

FFS we might as well go Aberdeen :rolleyes:

We went for a day on a cruise and that's it in a nutshell.

Not much to say about stavenger except expensive by Norwegian standards and pleasant. Not much to do in the town.

Beers were £12 each.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Has anyone been on holiday to Norway?

For some bizarre reason, the wife and kids have decided they want to go Norway for our summer holiday last week July/first week August.

Some place called Stavanger?

Good for a day trip, amazing views. A whole week in Stavanger is really pushing it, not sure what you can do for that long. You’d have to get a car and do day trips to other towns 

edit - still a better and more interesting holiday imo than somewhere like santorini which I still regret 1.5 years later 

Edited by grobyfox1990
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kenny said:

We went for a day on a cruise and that's it in a nutshell.

Not much to say about stavenger except expensive by Norwegian standards and pleasant. Not much to do in the town.

Beers were £12 each.

Thanks mate. Good job I'm tee total! 

13 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Good for a day trip, amazing views. A whole week in Stavanger is really pushing it, not sure what you can do for that long. You’d have to get a car and do day trips to other towns 

edit - still a better and more interesting holiday imo than somewhere like santorini which I still regret 1.5 years later 

Cheers, most helpful thanks. I think the plan is to base ourselves there, hire a car, and go on day trips - so good to know :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

For some bizarre reason, the wife and kids have decided they want to go Norway for our summer holiday last week July/first week August.

Time to admit the Mrs fancies Erling Haaland and you're losing the kids to Man City lol

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

A selection of towns on a cruise. Stunning scenery. 

Main advice for any Scandinavian holiday, up the limit on your credit card lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Any parts of Wales that anyone recommends for a few nights?

Couple of excellent suggestions already made, Gower is beautiful.  For myself if pushed I'd say Pembrokeshire.  Lovely coast but has the advantage of Tenby which is a pretty little seaside town with some more than acceptable restaurants and pubs.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wymsey said:

We stayed at a place near Nevern/Newport last year. Won't recommend the hotel because the oil/sticks smelly nonsense they put in the bedroom was obnoxiously overpowering - even when relocated to the corridor - but it was a great base for exploring local castles and neolithic sites if that grabs your bag. And there are a bloody lot of castles and neolithic sites to explore.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glenny24 said:

Attending a wedding in Largs Scotland in August for a long weekend. Any advise on getting from Glasgow airport to Largs?

Just googled it. Recon a hire car or 2 very expensive taxis will be your only option as it’s a mission.

15 hours ago, Wymsey said:

If you are treating the new girlfriend I recommend here 

https://tudorfarmhousehotel.co.uk

Although just in England you’re not far from Monmouth, Cardiff and the Black Mountains and you also have the Forest of Dean on your doorstep. 

The accommodation and food are top notch too and although not cheap they do some special offers - we went on a 3 nights for 2 DBB

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bovril said:

Lot of people dislike Athens but I love it. Great food. Not been to Aegina but it looks beautiful.

Do you know why people tend to dislike it? And what about it (other than great food, although that's a big sell for me) do you love?

Athens is such a strange city. The history is a must and you should go for that alone, but as a city I just found it pretty bizarre. Especially as a capital.

Also for people worried about the cost of holidays, I would really urge you to think outside the box and see what else you can find. There are still plenty of cheap breaks available if you look yourself rather than go for a package break. If you just want to go to Europe and chill in the sun there are so many places you can go to that aren't all packaged up for Brits.

8 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Lol

Going to Athens for 3 nights start of may and finishing with two nights on Aegina 

That's very close to what I'm looking at (only in September) 

You're going to have to keep us posted! 

What made you pick it and where abouts are you staying?