Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Exotic blackpool in May 🙄 imagine it'll the same week I went to Orlando last year. What a come down!! Not my idea was trying to convince my girlfriend to Benidorm or tenerife but no... so heading for north west... I don't hate Blackpool nice weekend end trip but your not getting a tan in Blackpool in May. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Got back from Dublin yesterday. Such a great city and not really what I expected. Such good vibes and friendly people. Spent an absolute fortune though lol

Any recommendations and tips! My friend wants us to go next month and it’ll make a change from going solo. Everything I’ve looked at is really expensive!! 🙈.

42 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Any recommendations and tips! My friend wants us to go next month and it’ll make a change from going solo. Everything I’ve looked at is really expensive!! 🙈.

Don't do it how we did it lol

But we had a blast and I'd highly recommend it. Plenty of free museums and things to see if that's your kind of thing. Also most places we found to be quite walkable from the docks area so try to save money by walking. Don't order double spirits as they costs a fortune

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DerbyshireFox said:

The hop on hop off buses are great value and informative. They take you to all the tourist attractions in a circular route. You can buy a weekend ticket and use them instead of other forms of transport.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

I haven't been in Dublin for a while but it's a nice city with lots of History and nice Architecture. The City is devided in two by the river Liffey. The Southside is where the most Attractions are and it's also nicer than the Northside.

I'd look for accomadation outside of Dublin City Centre for better value, Somewhere like Merrion, Blackrock, Dun laoghaire, Or Bray

Then get the Dart rail into Dublin from there. It's cheap and quick.

Have a look on here https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/rail-fares-and-tickets/fares-info/dart-and-short-hop-zone

You'll also get better Value in Pubs and Restraunts than in the city centre. Temple Bar is a tourist area in the city centre but overrated and definitely over priced. I'd avoid it as there nothing to see really only lots of Bars and Pubs charging up to 10 euro a pint. 

Check the weather forcast before you go as it can be freezing in March as well as pleasant and warm so dress accordingly.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Don't do it how we did it lol

But we had a blast and I'd highly recommend it. Plenty of free museums and things to see if that's your kind of thing. Also most places we found to be quite walkable from the docks area so try to save money by walking. Don't order double spirits as they costs a fortune

15 hours ago, kenny said:

The hop on hop off buses are great value and informative. They take you to all the tourist attractions in a circular route. You can buy a weekend ticket and use them instead of other forms of transport.

12 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I haven't been in Dublin for a while but it's a nice city with lots of History and nice Architecture. The City is devided in two by the river Liffey. The Southside is where the most Attractions are and it's also nicer than the Northside.

I'd look for accomadation outside of Dublin City Centre for better value, Somewhere like Merrion, Blackrock, Dun laoghaire, Or Bray

Then get the Dart rail into Dublin from there. It's cheap and quick.

Have a look on here https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/rail-fares-and-tickets/fares-info/dart-and-short-hop-zone

You'll also get better Value in Pubs and Restraunts than in the city centre. Temple Bar is a tourist area in the city centre but overrated and definitely over priced. I'd avoid it as there nothing to see really only lots of Bars and Pubs charging up to 10 euro a pint. 

Check the weather forcast before you go as it can be freezing in March as well as pleasant and warm so dress accordingly.

Thanks all. Don’t know why I put next month! End of May start of June is when we’re looking at. At least I’ll be able to split costs down the middle rather than the usual solo trips. Mate doesn’t seem bothered by the cost but I’ve done Lisbon solo and got Madrid next week. Thinking about Montenegro at the end of April! So I’m a bit more mindful of price 🤣

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Thanks all. Don’t know why I put next month! End of May start of June is when we’re looking at. At least I’ll be able to split costs down the middle rather than the usual solo trips. Mate doesn’t seem bothered by the cost but I’ve done Lisbon solo and got Madrid next week. Thinking about Montenegro at the end of April! So I’m a bit more mindful of price 🤣

That’s a quality schedule. Jealous. Please post on here after Montenegro, never been 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Hoping to do a day trip to Montenegro from Dubrovnik when we go in May so let us know what it's like

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Any hotel tips for Valetta in Malta? There are about 5 I'm eyeing up.

I apologise for the negative answer, and it also depends on what you want, but you may get better value staying elsewhere and travelling in. 

It's a wonderful place mind you, just a bloody nuisance to drive around. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Any hotel tips for Valetta in Malta? There are about 5 I'm eyeing up.

We went Malta last year but stayed at the Dolmen Hotel which is in Buggida.

Malta is ace!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

I apologise for the negative answer, and it also depends on what you want, but you may get better value staying elsewhere and travelling in. 

It's a wonderful place mind you, just a bloody nuisance to drive around. 

Yeah I've checked out the other areas but keep getting drawn back to Valetta. It seems quite pricey but it's for a big birthday, so I'm willing to splash some cash. I'll take another look around, but really liked the idea of being in the capital.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Yeah I've checked out the other areas but keep getting drawn back to Valetta. It seems quite pricey but it's for a big birthday, so I'm willing to splash some cash. I'll take another look around, but really liked the idea of being in the capital.

We also went Malta last year. If I were in your shoes, I'd maybe stay somewhere like the Corinthia Hotel in St Georges Bay.

It's 5 star, right by the sea, and about 3 miles from Valetta so only a short bus/Taxi ride.

https://www.corinthia.com/st-georges-bay/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=seo&utm_campaign=sgblisting

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Anyone driven/ridden in Phuket?

Being told it's lethal.

Yes, Don't do it. I spent a week their with the wife on the way back from Aus, I might add and it's a shithole.

The food was terrible and we ended up eating in McDonalds nearly all the time.

If you do go, Don't miss Walk Street. It only comes alive at night and is full of Spivs and Trans Queens trying to entice you into their Bars or Clubs that they're working for.

I have to say the best looking queens I've ever seen. Even the wife said it was hard to tell they were fellas. 

Tip, Leave your Cards and Wallet and Cash and any good jewelry in the hotel safe as someone will try to relieve you of it.

I had one try and take the gold chain off my Neck. Remember they're professionals and see every tourist as an easy target.

And the Stentch was the other thing. No proper sewerage, just grates along the footpaths and they put Carpets over the grating to hide the smell. Would I go back , No.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

The weather should be a lot better in May June in Dublin. Do the Tourist Bus it's cheap and you'll learn so much about the History as they point out the various sites going around. As has been said the walking to most Attractions is no worse than your average match day walk. Do your homework before you go and you'll have a Blast. Check out Bars that have free or nominal charge Music.

You usually have a great night in them.

My mate has Family in Montenegro and he's been their a few times so I'll see what I can find out and report back.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes, Don't do it. I spent a week their with the wife on the way back from Aus, I might add and it's a shithole.

The food was terrible and we ended up eating in McDonalds nearly all the time.

If you do go, Don't miss Walk Street. It only comes alive at night and is full of Spivs and Trans Queens trying to entice you into their Bars or Clubs that they're working for.

I have to say the best looking queens I've ever seen. Even the wife said it was hard to tell they were fellas. 

Tip, Leave your Cards and Wallet and Cash and any good jewelry in the hotel safe as someone will try to relieve you of it.

I had one try and take the gold chain off my Neck. Remember they're professionals and see every tourist as an easy target.

And the Stentch was the other thing. No proper sewerage, just grates along the footpaths and they put Carpets over the grating to hide the smell. Would I go back , No.

Apart from that, it was alright though? lol

• Haha 2

For the more adventurous of you,and thankfully on. FT there ate a few…

The trans=Bhutan trail has opened fully again…

like to hear from anyone who might target this 400-420km old merchant pilgrim trail…30yrs now gone since my last serious trek….Shit I no longer can walk/trek, and my shanksy’s pony has wheels ( wheelchair).

So get going lads n lasses, drop what your doing, grab the kids, or just your partner,  beaches,theme parks are nice,but the best life’s blood ,adrenaline buster

Is treking,living breathing the nature,other cultures..and doing it yourself..

Sharing this with a friend,wife, even kids opens the very soul…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

For the more adventurous of you,and thankfully on. FT there ate a few…

The trans=Bhutan trail has opened fully again…

like to hear from anyone who might target this 400-420km old merchant pilgrim trail…30yrs now gone since my last serious trek….Shit I no longer can walk/trek, and my shanksy’s pony has wheels ( wheelchair).

So get going lads n lasses, drop what your doing, grab the kids, or just your partner,  beaches,theme parks are nice,but the best life’s blood ,adrenaline buster

Is treking,living breathing the nature,other cultures..and doing it yourself..

Sharing this with a friend,wife, even kids opens the very soul…

Have you done it? Would love to do this but it requires at least 6-7 weeks. I'm always on the edge of my leave allowance at work trying to creatively fit as many trips as possible without using leave, but not sure I could get away with 'WFH' up a mountain in Bhutan