Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Have you done it? Would love to do this but it requires at least 6-7 weeks. I'm always on the edge of my leave allowance at work trying to creatively fit as many trips as possible without using leave, but not sure I could get away with 'WFH' up a mountain in Bhutan

My daughter did Bhutan,but not this particular trek….natural infrastructure made it still complicated..

In all my travels, I made Gangtok, Sikkim, but then Bhutan & interior was a pain with the visa & passes, I regret not using my stubborness and flexability,plus time was the problem ..But then my daughter & son was with us,nice years later my daughter returned…

Different world today ,closed boundaries still adventurous but opening up,for those with the will & tenacity for wild & adventurous…

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

It’s everyone to their own,but either with work or without,I wanted to travel. 

Thx to my own tenacity,but also meeting and have 2 beautiful women,that were willing to share the same ambitions..Other of my girllfriends were open but not ready or willing to do the hard yards… My first adventure girl was brilliant & worked and travelled with me..SAmerica and Africa..but we drifted apart due to various circumstance,but still a great woman

bit it was my now wife,who made my last big long,drop out travels work and worthwhile,before kids,with kids

,A petite Frau that can take on 5 ton trucks,most dangerous roads,or day long treks…But look at home in a cocktail dress.

Also organised some of the phases. I might not got to Sikkim /Burma borders, or Mexican mountain or deep jungle Yucatan treks,without her tenacity and organisation skills.

Now at home with all trials & tribulations of normal life with 4 kids,who have now also flown the nest.

We have seen a lot from this life,but one needs also a strong wife/ young girl/partner that doesn’t shy away…There all my girlfriend had that something special,but my wife was/is one notch more exceptional..

Now a grandma, who you wouldn’t think could blow a candle out,but even my kids

ask how she did it,but actually understand what hidden talents a mother has..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

Decent weekend in Amsterdam, although it is much dirtier, busier and generally rundown since the last time I went (nearly ten years ago) and seems to be on its way to becoming one of those easyJet English stag do towns in the tourist areas. Pretty sure I heard more Yorkshire accents than Dutch. Gig in Utrecht was excellent, and from the few hours spent in Utrecht seemed to be a really nice town. Looked around the Ajax stadium and Anne Frank house as tourist activities. 

Budapest this weekend coming which I'm looking forward to.

20 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Decent weekend in Amsterdam, although it is much dirtier, busier and generally rundown since the last time I went (nearly ten years ago) and seems to be on its way to becoming one of those easyJet English stag do towns in the tourist areas. Pretty sure I heard more Yorkshire accents than Dutch. Gig in Utrecht was excellent, and from the few hours spent in Utrecht seemed to be a really nice town. Looked around the Ajax stadium and Anne Frank house as tourist activities. 

Budapest this weekend coming which I'm looking forward to.

The tourist areas are definitely getting worse, the locals are really pushing to shut it down and ban the coffee shops. Luckily it's a very small area of the city, If you step out of the immediate area around the station and central canals, it's getting better and better. I appreciate it's hard to do that because the whole city feels like a maze and you go round in circles. Agree that Utrecht is a really nice place and (assuming you went to Tivoli) the gig venue is brilliant. 

13 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

The tourist areas are definitely getting worse, the locals are really pushing to shut it down and ban the coffee shops. Luckily it's a very small area of the city, If you step out of the immediate area around the station and central canals, it's getting better and better. I appreciate it's hard to do that because the whole city feels like a maze and you go round in circles. Agree that Utrecht is a really nice place and (assuming you went to Tivoli) the gig venue is brilliant. 

Yeh tbf I had no problem with the coffee shops and red lights, it’s authentic at least. You just know your somewhere plastic when the first thing you see in a town is a bunch of lads from preston wearing Smurf hats ‘on a mad one’ and loads of ice cream and shawarma shops - seemed Amsterdam going that way.

Did go out of the city yday to where my friend now lives, really nice, don’t know the name but we went to cafe lust.

Gig venue in Utrecht was the jaarebeurs

13 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh tbf I had no problem with the coffee shops and red lights, it’s authentic at least. You just know your somewhere plastic when the first thing you see in a town is a bunch of lads from preston wearing Smurf hats ‘on a mad one’ and loads of ice cream and shawarma shops - seemed Amsterdam going that way.

Did go out of the city yday to where my friend now lives, really nice, don’t know the name but we went to cafe lust.

Gig venue in Utrecht was the jaarebeurs

Definitely, the amount of souvenir shops is beyond stupid and it's a shame the oldest bit of the city is being ruined by that crap. 

De Pijp, cool area to live. That's the kind of area I was talking about, it took me about a year of living there to realise that isn't out of the city at all, it's just outside of the canal rings but for me that is proper Amsterdam and where the locals go to stay away from the British lads holidays. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Going to Vienna & Bratislava later this month with my girlfriend. Any recommendations?

Bratislava's not very big. Free walking tour was good there. 17's Bar was great for pizza and a pint too.

In Vienna, Centimeter was good for schnitzel. Prater theme park was a fun night out. The aquarium that's a converted Nazi anti-aircraft structure is fantastic too. Saw a lot on the hop-on, hop-off tours but just a snapshot of a lot of places, as you'd expect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Going to Vienna & Bratislava later this month with my girlfriend. Any recommendations?

Off Vienna in two weeks. Second time, so I’ve done a lot of the sights. Probably easier to PM me for advice. 

If you like history, the Museum of Military History is so so under-rated and rarely gets mentions by guide books etc. Franz Ferdinand’s car and jacket are there. The two museums MTWG mention are architecturally superb - if you love art, the Kunst is superb. 

We prefer the west side of the city for food and drinking. Districts of Neubau and Spittelberg. I suspect we won’t venture too much from there in a few days time 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Off Vienna in two weeks. Second time, so I’ve done a lot of the sights. Probably easier to PM me for advice. 

If you like history, the Museum of Military History is so so under-rated and rarely gets mentions by guide books etc. Franz Ferdinand’s car and jacket are there. The two museums MTWG mention are architecturally superb - if you love art, the Kunst is superb. 

We prefer the west side of the city for food and drinking. Districts of Neubau and Spittelberg. I suspect we won’t venture too much from there in a few days time 

For art I’d add the Albertina…. Right next to the opera house…. Fantastic place 

10 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Looking at places to stay for a week in Cornwall during school terms and it's ****ing hilarious (criminal) what people are charging 

Yes indeed.  We stayed in the same place many times because we agreed to pay the owner direct and cut out the 25% which the agency took.

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Looking at places to stay for a week in Cornwall during school terms and it's ****ing hilarious (criminal) what people are charging 

Don't do it. I went for 3 days in early summer 2021 when lockdown rules made foreign travel difficult. It was terrible, despite 30 degree + weather everyday. Crowded, dirty, extortionate, bog standard scenery/sights, terrible roads, really weird locals. Just all round terrible, never ever ever ever again. So regrettable  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Don't do it. I went for 3 days in early summer 2021 when lockdown rules made foreign travel difficult. It was terrible, despite 30 degree + weather everyday. Crowded, dirty, extortionate, bog standard scenery/sights, terrible roads, really weird locals. Just all round terrible, never ever ever ever again. So regrettable  

Yes we had a similar experience (my husband and I,  not me and you @grobyfox1990) after spending years listening to everyone rave about Cornwall. We found it really overrated, far better places in the UK to spend your time and money.

• Thanks 1

Worst thing about Cornwall is the volume of people not originally from Cornwall who've made it their home and constantly complain about visitors.

I've had to block one friend who moved there from London. She wouldn't shut up moaning about people. It's like those idiots who buy houses and then whine about farms smelling or planes making a lot of noise.

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes we had a similar experience (my husband and I,  not me and you @grobyfox1990) after spending years listening to everyone rave about Cornwall. We found it really overrated, far better places in the UK to spend your time and money.

Don't make @grobyfox1990think he's missed another trip :D

Is Cornwall nice out of season, i.e. not school holidays?

• Haha 2