Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Guessing schools are now out as Phuket seems to be teaming with Brit lads groups, families telling their children off, precocious public school accents. None of them bothering to use the most basic Thai greeting and thank you. 

Why do these people refuse to try learning just a couple of phrases?

11 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Guessing schools are now out as Phuket seems to be teaming with Brit lads groups, families telling their children off, precocious public school accents. None of them bothering to use the most basic Thai greeting and thank you. 

Why do these people refuse to try learning just a couple of phrases?

Lol it’s Phuket. It’s hardly somewhere exotic and authentic. It’s a western holiday trap. When I was last in Phuket it resembled Epsom high street more than Epsom high street does 

• Haha 1

On 21/03/2023 at 01:12, FoyleFox said:

As a 2013 Derry/Londonderry City of Culture ambassador, I'd beg to disagree (although I'm not sure if I really do). Does get a good number of tourists, just not as many as lots of other places. The train journey from Belfast to Derry is listed as one of the UK's best, though.

Visited Derry in about 2011... (holy shit how was it that long ago??) and its an amzing spot, travelled up to the north west coast which is just stunning...but most important of all we did a city tour with a local who opened our eyes to the troubles. Life was never the same after that visit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Looking at a city break in October to either Seville, Valencia, Lisbon or Porto. Can anyone recommend those places at that time of year?

I’ve been to Lisbon and Seville and can recommend highly…. I’m off to Porto in 8 weeks 

They’re all busy cities so likely to have plenty to go on any time of year…

for warmth Seville is your safest bet

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Looking at a city break in October to either Seville, Valencia, Lisbon or Porto. Can anyone recommend those places at that time of year?

Unfortunately I’ve not been in October, but Lisbon and Sevilla are amazing places, I personally prefer Lisbon.

Im going to Valencia in June.

If you go to Lisbon I can recommend Alfama as a good area to stay and Sintra a great place to visit.

Actually thinking back we did go to Sevilla in October, we were unlucky with the weather as we had 3 wet days out of the 7, the other days were lovely and sunny. 

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Porto is nice, we did 5 days when we played them, whenever that was. Had great weather, lovely City. All of those listed are, though.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

You'd be fine with all of them. Personally think tho Lisbon is reaching tourist saturation though 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Not on your list so ignore me, as most do! BUT we did Barcelona last October  half term from EMA and it was brilliant.

Weather was mid 20s and were lucky to get a Barca V Sevilla game in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Raj said:

This time next week we will hopefully be in Menorca!

Fair play that is a ballsy move, have you not booked yet? Could easily pay off for you, you often see prices tank a few days before departure date in school holidays due to cancellations. Got 4 nights all-inc at a 4* plus return flights and transfers in Malaga for £200 each last summer, booked about this time iirc, week before departure date. Good luck, hope you get there.

10 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Fair play that is a ballsy move, have you not booked yet? Could easily pay off for you, you often see prices tank a few days before departure date in school holidays due to cancellations. Got 4 nights all-inc at a 4* plus return flights and transfers in Malaga for £200 each last summer, booked about this time iirc, week before departure date. Good luck, hope you get there.

Booked in January mate.

I meant hopefully as you never know what around the corner!!

• Like 1

It's been 1148 days since our last holiday and ship disembarkation, with Covid, moving and the new house renovation offering no opportunity. Now, given we didn't exactly select the ideal time to do a month cruise from China, which turned into Singapore and around Asia, we were actually grateful to be allowed to disembark in Dubai, as the UAE had actually closed their ports and be allowed to fly home.  But March 2020 was a loooong time ago.........

Tomorrow we fly and will be onboard our ship on Wednesday. Excited is an understatement  :D:D:D

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 4

Loved Vienna. Cafe Schwarzenberg was a highlight, amazing decor as it’s not overly baroque. Hofburg Palace was impressive. Food and beer excellent - got quite drunk in the Delirium Cafe.

Bratislava was nice but feels deceptively small for a 500k+ city. You could do it in a day. Cheap for a pint (well 0.5ml if you’re lucky) but just as expensive as Vienna for food.

• Like 4

On 02/04/2023 at 10:16, Samilktray said:

Just got back from Lisbon, so can't vouch for October, but we had a lovely break.  Was about 25 degrees. Thoroughly recommend.