Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Last time I was Dubrovnik (early 00's) there was a cafe 'Adolf' with photos of the Fuhrer adorning the walls.

Syracusa is much nicer imo. I can't imagine it's much more expensive, Croatia has rocketed in price recently.

Yeah a lot of what I'm reading about Dubrovnik is that it WAS cheap. I get the impression they're starting to milk the GoT tourism now it's taking off.

I was leaning towards ruling out Syracuse but I've got to be honest that endorsement has it creeping back in, I know you spent a fair time in Sicily didn't you? We're looking at going for a week and I'm not sure yet whether or not we'll be driving there. You reckon there's enough to entertain for that long in Syracuse (I'm a bit of a history nerd and the missus humours me) and I get bored just sitting around on a beach.

Yeah a lot of what I'm reading about Dubrovnik is that it WAS cheap. I get the impression they're starting to milk the GoT tourism now it's taking off.

I was leaning towards ruling out Syracuse but I've got to be honest that endorsement has it creeping back in, I know you spent a fair time in Sicily didn't you? We're looking at going for a week and I'm not sure yet whether or not we'll be driving there. You reckon there's enough to entertain for that long in Syracuse (I'm a bit of a history nerd and the missus humours me) and I get bored just sitting around on a beach.

If you like history go to Sicily and hire a car. There are more Greek monuments in decent condition than in Greece. Thought the roads aren't amazing and seemingly short distances can take a long time. Places like Piazza Armerina, Noto, Ragusa will keep you more than occupied if you can stomach the drives in hot weather. Then there's Etna, also the interior of the island is ruggedly beautiful. It's probably easier to eat on the cheap than in Croatia as you can find excellent markets selling fresh produce for very little.

I could wax lyrical about Sicily for ages to be honest, it's like nowhere else on Earth really.

As a travel snob I reckon Croatia will jump the shark in a few years so it might be worth going now. There are still plenty of obscure islands to explore as well.

I've settled on dodging Sicily for now and coming back to it when we can afford to do it right. We're going to Tokyo in 2016 so we don't want to go overboard and we're looking at a week or so away. I really like the idea of renting a car and exploring a lot more of Sicily than just Syracuse but I'd like to put a bit more time and effort in to planning it and not just splurge on a last minute thing.

About to book in Sliema now for a week. I've been before but there's still a lot of Malta I haven't seen and the other half hasn't been at all. 

I've settled on dodging Sicily for now and coming back to it when we can afford to do it right. We're going to Tokyo in 2016 so we don't want to go overboard and we're looking at a week or so away. I really like the idea of renting a car and exploring a lot more of Sicily than just Syracuse but I'd like to put a bit more time and effort in to planning it and not just splurge on a last minute thing.

About to book in Sliema now for a week. I've been before but there's still a lot of Malta I haven't seen and the other half hasn't been at all. 

Good idea. The West Coast of Sicily is really worth looking into, Greek temples, amazing white sand beaches and lots of North-African-influenced architecture and food. I believe the dreaded R*anair fly into Trapani.

Edited by bovril

Dubrovnik's less expensive than we were expecting. Ate out every day and did most of the day trips we wanted to do. Still came back with almost £200 between us from a week. It's not ZOMG 20p A PINT!!?! cheap, but very fair (unless you buy any pick 'n' mix while you're out there - that's a rip-off).

Dubrovnik's less expensive than we were expecting. Ate out every day and did most of the day trips we wanted to do. Still came back with almost £200 between us from a week. It's not ZOMG 20p A PINT!!?! cheap, but very fair (unless you buy any pick 'n' mix while you're out there - that's a rip-off).

Can I ask how much you took for the week? Going myself in August and wanted a rough budget?

Can I ask how much you took for the week? Going myself in August and wanted a rough budget?

Yeah, we took about £750 worth between us. Don't buy stuff from the main street in the Old Town and you should be fine on £250-300, or even less.

Also, we didn't go there but there are trips to Montengro and you need Euros if you fancy that.

Yeah, we took about £750 worth between us. Don't buy stuff from the main street in the Old Town and you should be fine on £250-300, or even less.

Also, we didn't go there but there are trips to Montengro and you need Euros if you fancy that.

Cheers! Where did you change currency? Is it best to do it over there?

How much money would you good folk who have visited Amsterdam advise on taking? Gonna be there 5 days

pretty similar beer/food/novelty prices to going to town in england from what i remember. 

obviously going to world famous places for top quality weed or going to things like hard rock cafe will dent your wallet a bit more. 

Let me know if you want some tips.

Shall do probably nearer the time. My mate has taken it upon himself to organise it as he's more of the adventurous type than all of us put together!

You got any high-profile recommendations or any must-see/must-visits?

Shall do probably nearer the time. My mate has taken it upon himself to organise it as he's more of the adventurous type than all of us put together!

You got any high-profile recommendations or any must-see/must-visits?

I'll send you a long pm.

Lots of amazing restaurants and fantastic places to visit. It is a beautiful country.

• 2 weeks later...