Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

14 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Booked an actual foreign holiday for the first time since covid. Doing Porto in Portugal for 4 days next month.

Advice and recommendations please. 

Went for 5 night when we played then in the CL, can't recall exactly what we did, but it was a lovely City.

Posted in the goat pint thread but thought best to stick here. I am planning a weekend away in early December, either Belfast, Dublin or Edinburgh. Anyone have any recommendations as to which is best? I’ve been to all 3 but the Irish ones have been work/entertaining and Edinburgh I was a kid so can’t remember it. Cheers.

15 hours ago, Raj said:

Gent next week through work.

Heard it's a nice city so will have a wonder in between the days of boring Continuous  improvement training!!

Yeah Gent is great.

Id recommend an audio tour of the castle if you are into that kind of thing. Some nice bars along the river and the cathedral is impressive.

• Thanks 1

Just brushed up on some old trekking

News & cross banter...

This will interest some good old FTers....Who might think again this year....   @Buce  & others

The Appalachian Trail has faced another closure due to reports of aggressive bears approaching hikers, continuing a trend of similar closures in recent years. On Wednesday, The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) announced that the Forest Service has closed a ~7-mile section of trail to camping along the North Carolina/Tennessee border, from Tanyard Gap to the junction of Little Paint Creek Trail (NOBO miles 280.8 to 287.7). This closure was prompted by multiple hikers reporting bear encounters in the area. The closure includes the Rich Mountain campsite and the Spring Mountain Shelter.

50 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Just brushed up on some old trekking

News & cross banter...

This will interest some good old FTers....Who might think again this year....   @Buce  & others

The Appalachian Trail has faced another closure due to reports of aggressive bears approaching hikers, continuing a trend of similar closures in recent years. On Wednesday, The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) announced that the Forest Service has closed a ~7-mile section of trail to camping along the North Carolina/Tennessee border, from Tanyard Gap to the junction of Little Paint Creek Trail (NOBO miles 280.8 to 287.7). This closure was prompted by multiple hikers reporting bear encounters in the area. The closure includes the Rich Mountain campsite and the Spring Mountain Shelter.

If I won the lottery I would literally spend my days doing these things. 

PCT on the list

My pregnant wife and I are looking at Eurostar breaks before our second kid arrives.   We both have been to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam so we are looking at cities close to these three.   

From quick research,  it looks like Rotterdam, Lille, Ghent and Antwerp all are an option.    Have anyone been to these cities or have any alternative suggestions?   We also have been to Bruges before anyone suggest that destination!

On 16/05/2023 at 18:52, Unabomber said:

Posted in the goat pint thread but thought best to stick here. I am planning a weekend away in early December, either Belfast, Dublin or Edinburgh. Anyone have any recommendations as to which is best? I’ve been to all 3 but the Irish ones have been work/entertaining and Edinburgh I was a kid so can’t remember it. Cheers.

Definitely Edinburg from those. Plenty to do, really pretty city as well. Also cheaper than Dublin these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Blur said:

My pregnant wife and I are looking at Eurostar breaks before our second kid arrives.   We both have been to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam so we are looking at cities close to these three.   

From quick research,  it looks like Rotterdam, Lille, Ghent and Antwerp all are an option.    Have anyone been to these cities or have any alternative suggestions?   We also have been to Bruges before anyone suggest that destination!

I'm going Gent next week so will tell you what it's like.

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2023 at 15:17, The Blur said:

I've been to Ghent and Antwerp on the Eurostar over the last few years. Both good cities but think Ghent has the edge for a holiday. Beautiful city, nice pubs and restaurants, very relaxed vibe. Antwerp is fun but not as pretty.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I struggle to imagine a worse holiday - bar going on a cruise. 

I get what you’re saying I think and understand why people would hate it, it’s certainly an experience lol 

I’ve also been on two cruises and loved them both. It’s each to their own isn’t it my friend :)

Edited by Manini

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

I get what you’re saying I think and understand why people would hate it, it’s certainly an experience lol 

I’ve also been on two cruises and loved them both. It’s each to their own isn’t it my friend :)

New Orleans is one of the few cities in the States I’d ever revisit, that was class. Much more my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

Athens is really done in, as in absolutely trashed. Everything is broken, graffiti everywhere, loads of crime and poverty, it’s startling. Pains me to see so many tourist $ being spent there when incredible and magical cities like Tirana, tel aviv, Baku, Istanbul are next door and so much more deserving 

On 24/05/2023 at 19:09, grobyfox1990 said:

Athens is really done in, as in absolutely trashed. Everything is broken, graffiti everywhere, loads of crime and poverty, it’s startling. Pains me to see so many tourist $ being spent there when incredible and magical cities like Tirana, tel aviv, Baku, Istanbul are next door and so much more deserving 

That’s a shame. We went in 2019 and absolutely loved it.