Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

You found the Ouzo then!

I found a lot. 

Stayed in a slightly edgy side of town with no tourists and genuinely loved it. 

I can understand the opinion that it's ugly and ran down though tbh. 

I personally enjoyed our District more than the beautiful areas such as plaka. 

The Acropolis is so over touristed it's outrageous 

10 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I found a lot. 

We went to The Acropolis as soon as it opened. I can well imagine it wouldn’t be a pleasant experience later in the day. It probably helped that we met up with a friend who is from Athens, so we benefited from her showing us around. But you just can’t beat a fresh Greek salad in the med heat 

4 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I found a lot. 

Athens? I really liked the acropolis and history, food is obvs incredible, but it’s such a dirty done in dump. We nearly got mugged in the early hours twice in our 3 nights there. Luckily I was there with work so didn’t have to spend my own money and hopefully never have to go back 

I'm going Paris next week with my girlfriend. Neither of us have been before. Anybody know of any decent places for a drink in the evening etc? I know that's a bit broad, but we're staying near the Louvre.

14 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'm going Paris next week with my girlfriend. Neither of us have been before. Anybody know of any decent places for a drink in the evening etc? I know that's a bit broad, but we're staying near the Louvre.

There are bars everywhere so take your pick. You will find a few bars on the river which are a bit different and try the rooftop bar at the Gare de L’est, cool place to go.

I like the Le Marais area which is the 3rd and 4th arrondissments  (not far from Louvre which is in 1st arrondissement) and a nice walk from the Louvre area. Lots of bars and restaurants and a trendy area.

Area around Jardin du Luxembourg is nice as well

Personally I’d steer well clear of the Champs- Elysees as overpriced and the worst service.

Some nice places on the Boulevard St Germain with some good restaurants and nice shops and also some nice little street bars on the Ile de La Cite (Notre Dame) …..visit Saint Chapelle church,beautiful.

Also on Boulevard Haussmann there are the two biggest department stores Galerie Lafayette and Printemps which have good restaurants, would suggest Brasserie Printemps, and go up to the terrace rooftop at Galerie Lafayette for great views over Paris and grab a drink. Opera Garnier is a great place to visit and well worth spending an hour looking round.

Although it’s very touristy I would also go up to Monmarte and have a drink in the Place du Tertre where all the artists are painting. 

I would make sure you use the Metro and buy a metro carnet (10 tickets) as it is cheaper than buying individual tickets - you can get them at pretty much every station.

Have a great time, it’s a great city.

• Like 3

Went on a stag with @JonnyBoy over the bank hol to Krakow, second time I’ve been.

Great city, weather was warm and sunny - can’t say we took in much of the culture but the square was packed, some great food stalls and we found a great Italian a few streets back from the square. 

Took the lime electric scooters to the river - that was a laugh. Couple of chaps got in bother and dropped 4 figures in strip clubs, you can tell the locals are a bit fed up with stag do’s and I don’t blame them - met some Burnley, Cov, Brighton, Fulham, Luton fans out there - all absolutely perplexed how we’ve gone down and all rate Brendan as a top manager, was really interesting to hear others opinions of us and Rodgers - we told them they were all wrong obviously. 

I’ve been made best man for a pals wedding so now I’m looking for potential stag do destinations, happy to stay in the UK or go abroad but if it’s abroad somewhere warm by the sea would be preferred (around April time)

Appreciate any tips from the good people of foxestalk

I’m sure this has been asked time and time again but I simply cannot be bothered to go through this thread to find it and I can only apologise for that I’m afraid!

7 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I’ve been made best man for a pals wedding so now I’m looking for potential stag do destinations, happy to stay in the UK or go abroad but if it’s abroad somewhere warm by the sea would be preferred (around April time)

I’m sure this has been asked time and time again but I simply cannot be bothered to go through this thread to find it and I can only apologise for that I’m afraid!

Maybe have a chat to some of those who will be going and get their thoughts. Trip abroad always sounds fun, but with cost of living and all that it might be a bit stressful for some people. 

• Like 1

Currently in Ontario, Canada. Around Rice Lake & Lake Ontario. 

Been to some beautiful towns, been Kayaking, sampled a few local beers (local craft beers & IPAs are plentiful), great weather. 

You definitely need a a car to get about. Off to see The Blue Jays in Toronto tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Personally I’d say best places are in Eastern Europe. Places like Budapest, Sofia, Zagreb or any major city in Eastern Europe would be great.

Way cheaper, much better food, dirt cheap alcohol compared to going to Amsterdam or Berlin or something 

But from personal experiences, group holidays abroad with friends rarely end up happening and it’s a bit hard to put pressure on friends to spend money. Probably better finding somewhere in the UK or Ireland.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Personally I’d say best places are in Eastern Europe. Places like Budapest, Sofia, Zagreb or any major city in Eastern Europe would be great.

Way cheaper, much better food, dirt cheap alcohol compared to going to Amsterdam or Berlin or something 

But from personal experiences, group holidays abroad with friends rarely end up happening and it’s a bit hard to put pressure on friends to spend money. Probably better finding somewhere in the UK or Ireland.

Tbf the opposite for me. When planning a group trip we usually default to 'lets stay in the UK because it's cheaper' at which point a few of us try really hard to convince others it's really not. Had a long weekend in New Forest the other year, spent hundreds on transport, accommodation, activities, food before you even get into alcohol. That's not even baring in mind it's absolutely deathly boring there. I am not going on an upcoming trip due to no leave, but it was a toss up between Norfolk and Sofia... honestly.... who the hell under the age of 93 who has the smallest shred of a sense of adventure wants to spend hard-earned free time in Norfolk, regardless of the cost.

• Haha 1

Benidorm for a week in September. Wednesday to a Thursday... add an extra day to allow travel. Second visit loved it there when I visited in 2018 and been keen to go back, had originally booked to return in October 2020 but of course was not to be. Benidorm is certainly a place for everyone I think. The place is huge and still so much I didn't see last time.

Edited by Leicesterpool

On 29/05/2023 at 10:20, Stuntman_Mike said:

Booked Luxembourg next week for a couple of days! 

Heard it's expensive and there's not loads to do there, but looking forward to some chill time somewhere new.

A really nice place , but the two days you're going for is more than enough. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I had my stag do in Wroclaw, Poland, in April. Return flights were £50 from EMA. 

Budapest is amazing but flights are ridiculous for there at the moment.  Bratislava is pretty good alternative. 

Edited by isaidno
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, isaidno said:

I had my stag do in Wroclaw, Poland, in April. Return flights were £50 from EMA. 

Budapest is amazing but flights are ridiculous for there at the moment.  Bratislava is pretty good alternative. 

What sort of things are there to do on a stag there? Always thought Wrocław looked lovely 

27 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

What sort of things are there to do on a stag there? Always thought Wrocław looked lovely 

All the bars and restaurants are together in a square. We spent 2 days drinking but there's a karting track there.

Edited by isaidno

10 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Skeggy of course, cheap and cheerful. 

6 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Benidorm for a week in September. Wednesday to a Thursday... add an extra day to allow travel. Second visit loved it there when I visited in 2018 and been keen to go back, had originally booked to return in October 2020 but of course was not to be. Benidorm is certainly a place for everyone I think. The place is huge and still so much I didn't see last time.

Translation: Missed Sticky Vicky and absolutely livid, need to go back.