Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

I found Egypt a bit of a mixed bag really.

The temples/tombs were just out of this world and blew my mind - it was worth going just to see them alone.

On the downside, every time we stepped off the boat or outside the hotel we were badgered by someone was trying to sell us something which got a bit tedious after a while.

And it was far too hot for me. 40+ degrees every day was unbearable so make sure you don't go at high season unless you like being fried.

Another word of warning they’re very touchy feely with fair haired women. I was offered three camels for the wife!

Passport control was a nightmare!

• Haha 1

What do folks use to buy things abroad?

Debit cards and credit cards have fees but are less hassle.

We normally just use the local currency and get the best deals prior( Tesco or Post Office).

My 14 year old goes to Paris on a school trip next week and was contemplating getting her one of those 0% fee card.

She has a debit card (Santander) which she use via her phone( Kids of the day!).

For the hassle and number of days she there it might just be worth her using that and deal with the 2.95% fees ( I think)?

Edited by Raj

15 minutes ago, Raj said:

We normally just use the local currency and get the best deals prior( Tesco or Post Office).

My 14 year old goes to Paris on a school trip next week and was contemplating getting her one of those 0% fee card.

She has a debit card (Santander) which she use via her phone( Kids of the day!).

For the hassle and number of days she there it might just be worth her using that and deal with the 2.95% fees ( I think)?

Many travel credit cards don’t have fees. I used barclaycard and Halifax clarity. Getting local currency is probably the most expensive way of spending abroad given you have to pay commission 

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Revolut. No fees and good exchange rates.

Join me and over 28 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: https://revolut.com/referral/?referral-code=paulycsxf!JUN1-23-VR-GB

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Monzo is what I use…. Heard good things about revolut too

2 hours ago, Raj said:

I use a Santander Select Zero credit card. Zero fees etc.

Your issue is finding something suitable for a U18, as they're underage for a CC and too young to be added to a parent's card.

Do the post office still do those travel cards you preload money onto?

On 07/06/2023 at 21:04, Rain King said:

Not booked anything yet. We did an all inclusive last year in Majorca and whilst not everyone's cup of tea it was ideal for them. Food and drink on tap.

Looking for something similar this year but a different country. Anywhere people would recommend or not? Don't fancy Turkey.

Tenerife or somewhere in Portugal

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I use a Santander Select Zero credit card. Zero fees etc.

Your issue is finding something suitable for a U18, as they're underage for a CC and too young to be added to a parent's card.

Do the post office still do those travel cards you preload money onto?

Exactly that.

The PO do a travel card but reading the reviews I'm leaving that well alone!

8 hours ago, Raj said:

Exactly that.

The PO do a travel card but reading the reviews I'm leaving that well alone!

Look up Monzo or Revolut in this situation. They can be pre loaded with cash via an app. Zero fees. Favourable conversions rates of the banks rather than currency buying 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Raj said:

I set up a new card and account for myself with Starling (already use Monzo) and gave it to my 14yo daughter for her school trip abroad. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I set up a new card and account for myself with Starling (already use Monzo) and gave it to my 14yo daughter for her school trip abroad. 

Did you get a physical name with the account in your name and then gave your daughter the card to use?

On 10/06/2023 at 11:16, Raj said:

Monzo and halifax clarity mastercard. Both the best. Use BA amex when booking to get the avios.

On 10/06/2023 at 11:16, Raj said:

Chase debit. No fees and immediately tells you via the app the exchange rate and how much you've been charged. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Any thoughts/recommendations on Marrakesh welcome. Heading there for an all inc soon but not far from the centre at all

I'm sure everyone else has their own preference but I find the Barclaycard no fees credit card the best.

Be ready for the call to prayer at times you might not expect.

Going to L'Estardit, Andorra, on Friday. Costa Blanca. Never been to that part other than Barcelona.

Apparently not touristy, but not remote either and right on the coast.

The downside is Ryanair and their painful booking process when booking through a 3rd party website.

On 12/06/2023 at 09:44, Lako42 said:

Caxton fx card has always been good for us. Good exchange rate and no fees 

Seconded. Used in Cyprus with no problem, but not an extensive list of currencies to choose from.

Also, we got a Hyperjar account set up for my 10-year-old a few years ago, and he uses that both in this country and abroad without fees. We pay him his weekly pocket money into his account, and he can go and spend it how he likes.

My wife and I both have a card and account, and can transfer money over whenever we want. Well worth looking at for younger kids as an alternative to something like GoHenry.