Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 12/06/2023 at 11:17, Footballwipe said:

Any thoughts/recommendations on Marrakesh welcome. Heading there for an all inc soon but not far from the centre at all

I’ve never been there but I’ve been to Tangier, Casablanca and Agadir. Morocco is a beautiful country and the people are incredibly friendly. You’ll have an amazing time. The Soukhs/bazaars etc are out of this world. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Malta on Thursday for the England game. Not sure who will be in a worse state, me or Grealish.

Bloody hell, just checked fixtures, did not realise there were internationals happening! Even worse as I am now in Amsterdam next week and the nations cup is happening there this week 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’ve never been there but I’ve been to Tangier, Casablanca and Agadir. Morocco is a beautiful country and the people are incredibly friendly. You’ll have an amazing time. The Soukhs/bazaars etc are out of this world. 

I went to Tangier and Casablanca in April, underwhelmed would be my assessment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I went to Tangier and Casablanca in April, underwhelmed would be my assessment.

Ah really? That’s a shame. Granted I was last there about 12 years ago now. Agadir about 3 years ago and I really did like it there. 

Edited by Manini

54 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Budapest in November. Me and my partner are trying to go to as many new countries as we can. Will be the third this year. Any recommendations for places to eat and things to do in Budapest would be appreciated 

Hope this helps.

On 11/01/2023 at 12:32, Voll Blau said:

Do the free walking tour that departs from the square where Hard Rock Cafe is. Definitely go swimming at Szechenyi Baths too, especially for the Soviet-era underground line you ride to get there!

Szimpla Kert, or any ruin bar, is worth visiting. Another nice trip is to take the tram along the river past the Hungarian Parliament to Princess Margaret Island, which is a great place for a walk.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

As far as city breaks go what’s the most cost effective way people have found to book them? Been looking round for somewhere recently and everything just seems so expensive 

surely book flights in advance if possible using sky scanner and then find a hotel on booking

• Like 3

Slight tangent but I'm just in Portugal for 4 days and a few things have struck me:

1 - the amount of homeless

2 - the sheer number of Americans. They outnumber Brits by a good 5:1. I now assume anyone speaking English is American.

3 - we appear to be the only people attempting the language. I've even heard French people speaking English to waiters. 

Not to toot my own horn but, aside from one or two, nearly every local and worker has been grateful we've automatically used a fumbled attempt at Portuguese. Unbelievable. 

On 13/06/2023 at 21:02, Samilktray said:

As far as city breaks go what’s the most cost effective way people have found to book them? Been looking round for somewhere recently and everything just seems so expensive 

Skyscanner has a search everywhere function. Try a few months/times you can get away and see if you drop on somewhere you haven't thought of :)

Then I personally use booking or airbnb for rooms.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Booked Brussels/Bruges next month but flying into Charleroi airport. 

Has anyone done this before? Did they use the Flibco bus to get into Brussels?

I slightly cheated as my family lived there but Belgium, particularly the southern French part, is a bit of a faff and not the friendliest. 

I think you'd probably want to get a bus into Charleroi and then one to Brussels. Also brush up on your French and be prepared for stern faces. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I slightly cheated as my family lived there but Belgium, particularly the southern French part, is a bit of a faff and not the friendliest. 

I think you'd probably want to get a bus into Charleroi and then one to Brussels. Also brush up on your French and be prepared for stern faces. 

Thank you for this. I've seen there's a shuttle bus but wasn't sure if there was a better option 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 21:02, Samilktray said:

Jack's Flight Club is worth the £1 per month - they do a weekly city breaks fare finder - just be prepared to go somewhere you traditionally wouldn't. 

46 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Slight tangent but I'm just in Portugal for 4 days and a few things have struck me:

2 - the sheer number of Americans. They outnumber Brits by a good 5:1. I now assume anyone speaking English is American.

3 - we appear to be the only people attempting the language. I've even heard French people speaking English to waiters. 

Not to toot my own horn but, aside from one or two, nearly every local and worker has been grateful we've automatically used a fumbled attempt at Portuguese. Unbelievable. 

Notable on my last visit to the Algarve. I think it's caught on with the surfers/backpackers crew - then took off on social media. 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 12:59, Costock_Fox said:

Malta on Thursday for the England game. Not sure who will be in a worse state, me or Grealish.

Malta is an incredible place, would recommend it.

To answer my question above, not sure Grealish has ever walked in the kebab shop with 2 socks on and  out of a kebab shop with 1 sock, I’ll leave this up to your imagination.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Whereabouts were you? We've been lucky enough to spend a fair few weeks a year in Portugal and honestly don't remember seeing any homeless people. 

The Americans I can concur, if you listen to their conversations they are hilarious lol

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Whereabouts were you? We've been lucky enough to spend a fair few weeks a year in Portugal and honestly don't remember seeing any homeless people. 

The Americans I can concur, if you listen to their conversations they are hilarious lol

Dunno if the OP means the same, but I noticed helluva lot of what I call 'drifters' (or maybe off grid is the 21st century word) rather than homeless. Living in cheap caravans on campsites for 70 quid a week. 

They were harmless tho and personally didn't put me off Portugal. Thought it was great. 

No it was homeless. Lots of begging or living in tents in doorways of abandoned shops. It didn't strike me as a particularly well off country.

Absolutely lovely people though. Really friendly. Very considerate drivers, as well. Stopped for everyone, letting pedestrians cross. Polar opposite to their continental cousins. 

• Thanks 1