Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Guest Col city fan

Booked three nights in Dublin in November. Any tips?

Yes, take loads and loads and loads of money.

It's ridiculously expensive!

Currently in norway a couple of days hiking. This country is just stunning, expensive but just truely out of this world. Anyone looking for somewhere to go, go to norway!

Sounds great. I love hiking but never considered Scandinavia, will give it a peruse now. 

where Ken? have fun!

Some place called Huby near York. Reason for going may seem strange to some. There is a pub there called the Mended Drum which as Terry Pratchett fans will be aware bears the same name as a bar featured in some of the Discworld books. It is also a real ale pub which is a bonus. The only thing missing will be the bar brawls between Trolls and Dwarves. And the orangatan librarian who gets upset if called a monkey resulting in smashing of tables and chairs.

So as you can see it is a must see place.

I'm on hols in Florida now Dr. No doubt I'll bump in to you at some stage lol

Fvck me it's hot and humid!

I saw your other post, in driving from Miami today. If you see an elderly gentleman with a turban with a handsome young fella, I'm that handsome young fella. The other guy is my dad.

Love the weather, getting really fat though, too much food and booze

• Like 1

Some place called Huby near York. Reason for going may seem strange to some. There is a pub there called the Mended Drum which as Terry Pratchett fans will be aware bears the same name as a bar featured in some of the Discworld books. It is also a real ale pub which is a bonus. The only thing missing will be the bar brawls between Trolls and Dwarves. And the orangatan librarian who gets upset if called a monkey resulting in smashing of tables and chairs.

So as you can see it is a must see place.

I heard the ladies are really easy and cheap there, that's the real reason isn't it Rincy?

I saw your other post, in driving from Miami today. If you see an elderly gentleman with a turban with a handsome young fella, I'm that handsome young fella. The other guy is my dad.

Love the weather, getting really fat though, too much food and booze

What car did you get Singhy? I had a Chevy Tahoe. I felt like Snoop Dog driving it around.

Sounds great. I love hiking but never considered Scandinavia, will give it a peruse now.

Google kjeragbolten, preikestolen and trolltunga. Was walking on snow yesterday which was rather surreal. Drivers paradise here aswell, incredible winding roads round, through and over mountains, and massive fjords. Waterfalls and tunnels everywhete.

Managed to get return flights to Dublin for £20 in September and flights to Oslo and Copenhagen in December for £75 :)

Be prepared for expensive alcohol in oslo. £7.70 for a pint yesterday in one of the smaller cities in norway!

Guest Col city fan

Yeah, heard that.

Is it the kind of place where things are much cheaper if you step a little way off the beten track?

In my experience...just a little.

Avoid 'The beaten track'...eg. 'Temple Bar'....me and the good lady paid 18 Euro for two pints of Guinness. And that was going back many years.

Many people like Dublin. Personally I thought it was crappy. Apart from the Uni there (nice buildings to potter round), I found it dull, the weather was rubbish and it didn't seem very friendly. We were walking back to the B and B one night and must have passed by three or four young lads off their faces on some kind of illicit substance.

But, as I say, many people think Dublin is great. I didn't. Mainly due to the expense really, we've never been back.

Me and the partner went for three nights earlier in the year, we managed to see all of the main sites and do the Guinness Storehouse all in one day, if you take it slower I'm sure you could stretch it all to two days no problem!

The prices of things are expensive, it's a tourist trap lots of Guinness everywhere and people are prepared to pay due to it being Dublin, there was a pub near our B&B that did pints for €5 it wasn't the nicest of places but it was cheaper than most others I'll speak to the misses and see if she remembers the name!

I liked the city, didn't fall in love with it but I enjoyed it there, we got good weather which helps a lot!

On another note we've booked to go Berlin then to Amsterdam all in one trip, spending 4 days in Berlin and 3 in Amsterdam, it's not a huge amount of time in either but we both like to walk lots so hoping we can see most of the well-known sites during that time, if anybody has any recommendations for either that would be great!

Used to live there for three and a half years so I'm happy to help if there is anything you are specifically looking for.

You going with mates/missus if there is one? Go to the notorious Coppers nightclub (Full name is Copper Face Jacks -Google it) around 12.30am/1am if you're a single man, you'll clean up!

Guinness Storehouse tour is a bit boring but the view at the Gravity Bar is pretty cool.

Have a coffee in Bewleys on Grafton Street.

I might be biased but having been to a lot of places, I honestly think Dublin is best city in the world for pubs. Food? Not so much!

Edited by Mark WNI

Used to live there for three and a half years so I'm happy to help if there is anything you are specifically looking for.

You going with mates/missus if there is one? Go to the notorious Coppers nightclub (Full name is Copper Face Jacks -Google it) around 12.30am/1am if you're a single man, you'll clean up!

Guinness Storehouse tour is a bit boring but the view at the Gravity Bar is pretty cool.

Have a coffee in Bewleys on Grafton Street.

I might be biased but having been to a lot of places, I honestly think Dublin is best city in the world for pubs. Food? Not so much!

Going with the missus mate so not a chance of that. lol

We're based near Heuston station which I understand is around a 20 minute walk from the action. Will that be safe enough to walk to/from at night?

Also both love our stand-up comedy and seen good reviews of a night called Comedy Crunch. Is it any good?