Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

I’m planning a surprise vacation (yes I’m American) for my wife, my son, and I from September 1 to September 12. Planning 4 days in London and 6 days between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Really want to see Filbert Way, but not sure logistically feasible. Planning to take the train from London to Glasgow. Really want to purchase a kit for myself and my son. Can I purchase them anywhere or does it have to be in Leicester? Cannot order online.

On 02/07/2023 at 17:38, Sampson said:

I guess it's different strokes. I can just about stretch to a beach holiday for a week, but I'm usually bored of lying on the beach and have run out of other things to do by day 6. Unless it's Greece I guess, there you have the best food in the world around you to look forward to, which places like Spain or Cape Verde don't really have.

Having just got back from Spain I found the food to be fantastic, but as you say different strokes. Taking nothing away from Greek food which is equally enjoyable. 

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 19:12, Parafox said:

Going to Budapest for the Hungarian GP. 

More or less a freebie. All I have to pay for is 5 nights in an hotel. Flights and "gold plus" tickets given away by a guy in the group I went with a few years back who can't go due to sudden illness requiring surgery.

I feel very humbled as I haven't seen him since the last trip.

You may feel humbled but I’m sure you deserve it and you should take great pride in that it’s you he’s chosen to have the ticket.

I was in Budapest earlier this year, great city. 

• Thanks 1

2 weeks on the Algarve followed by a week in Ceuta, starting at the very end of next month. Absolutely cannot wait,  we love the part of the Algarve we visit, and Africa is a new continent for me so although Ceuta is still part of Europe technically I will be in Africa but with the familiarity of Mercadona lol

We really wanted to cross the land border into Morocco at least for one day but it seems the delays can be ridiculously long so we might have to sack that idea off and just make that a holiday by itself 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

2 weeks on the Algarve followed by a week in Ceuta, starting at the very end of next month. Absolutely cannot wait,  we love the part of the Algarve we visit, and Africa is a new continent for me so although Ceuta is still part of Europe technically I will be in Africa but with the familiarity of Mercadona lol

We really wanted to cross the land border into Morocco at least for one day but it seems the delays can be ridiculously long so we might have to sack that idea off and just make that a holiday by itself 

Where would you recommend on the Algarve and, equally importantly I suppose, why? As in, what sorts of places do you enjoy and what's your ideal holiday? 

As per the short rant above, Faro is one place I actually can get to pretty cheap. But not gonna lie, I'm not totally sold. Algarve looks undeniably beautiful but also imagine it'll be absolutely crawling with Brits Abroad and honestly fvck that. 

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Where would you recommend on the Algarve and, equally importantly I suppose, why? As in, what sorts of places do you enjoy and what's your ideal holiday? 

As per the short rant above, Faro is one place I actually can get to pretty cheap. But not gonna lie, I'm not totally sold. Algarve looks undeniably beautiful but also imagine it'll be absolutely crawling with Brits Abroad and honestly fvck that. 

We stay on the eastern side of the Algarve near Tavira and Olhao. Thankfully we don't see many Brits! We like somewhere quaint and traditional to wander about in the day, maybe some time on a decent beach, and then somewhere nice to eat and have a few drinks. I think Albufeira is the Brits Abroad type place, where we go is much more low key and 'Portuguese' I suppose. Faro itself is pretty, and Vilamoura is nice for a wander around the marina and a boat trip, we've never been any further west than that. 

We find it cheaper to eat and drink out than Spain by around 20%, and you'd have the advantage of no time difference! Benidorm it certainly isn't, but we like it. Enough going on for a bit of a buzz, but low key and relaxing with no crowds of drunken tourists everywhere.

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We stay on the eastern side of the Algarve near Tavira and Olhao. Thankfully we don't see many Brits! We like somewhere quaint and traditional to wander about in the day, maybe some time on a decent beach, and then somewhere nice to eat and have a few drinks. I think Albufeira is the Brits Abroad type place, where we go is much more low key and 'Portuguese' I suppose. Faro itself is pretty, and Vilamoura is nice for a wander around the marina and a boat trip, we've never been any further west than that. 

We find it cheaper to eat and drink out than Spain by around 20%, and you'd have the advantage of no time difference! Benidorm it certainly isn't, but we like it. Enough going on for a bit of a buzz, but low key and relaxing with no crowds of drunken tourists everywhere.

So I think it sounds like you and I like a similar holiday which is good! Funnily enough a friend with a Portuguese partner mentioned Tavira when we had a similar chat. 

Plenty of options for good food and drink? 

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So I think it sounds like you and I like a similar holiday which is good! Funnily enough a friend with a Portuguese partner mentioned Tavira when we had a similar chat. 

Plenty of options for good food and drink? 

Yes lots. I'd recommend hiring a car if you do go to that part of the country, so many places to go and see in easy reach.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Trying to book a holiday for the first time since moving up north and holy shit you take for granted how much better it is being close to London airports. 

You can't get fvcking anywhere from up here. 

You seem to have a fair few direct flights tho https://www.justtheflight.co.uk/cheap-flights-from-MAN/

Just book the flight & hotel separately?

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah I do obviously. But they're all very basic bitch locations. If you want to get even vaguely left field it's a chore. 

Amsterdam (AMS)

Athens (ATH)

Barbados (BGI)

Barcelona (BCN)

Bari (BRI)

Beijing (PEK)

Berlin (TXL)

Budapest (BUD)

Cancun (CUN)

Casablanca (CMN)

Dubrovnik (DBV)

Gerona (GRO)

Helsinki (HEL)

Istanbul (IST)

Kos (KGS)

Krakow (KRK)

Marrakech (RAK)

Montego Bay (MBJ)

Newquay (NQY)

Prague (PRG)

Reykjavik (KEF)

Singapore (SIN)

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We did a few years of villa holidays in the Algarve. Always in this area and the Estoi, Sao Bras, Loule areas.

We were always there in June and the areas were nice and quiet. Good food, pretty towns and nice scenery.

One attraction of moving back to England was the availability of flights, travelling anywhere from Northern Ireland was an absolute b@stard!

Edit: just remembered, we were there one year, hadn't heard an English accent for about 10 days. Having a wander around one of the towns and 2 LCFC shirts came walking towards us.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

We did a few years of villa holidays in the Algarve. Always in this area and the Estoi, Sao Bras, Loule areas.

We were always there in June and the areas were nice and quiet. Good food, pretty towns and nice scenery.

One attraction of moving back to England was the availability of flights, travelling anywhere from Northern Ireland was an absolute b@stard!

Edit: just remembered, we were there one year, hadn't heard an English accent for about 10 days. Having a wander around one of the towns and 2 LCFC shirts came walking towards us.

We stay in a villa just outside Santa Catarina, about 10 minutes from Sao Bras. Lovely part of the world.

On 02/07/2023 at 19:12, Parafox said:

Going to Budapest for the Hungarian GP. 

More or less a freebie. All I have to pay for is 5 nights in an hotel. Flights and "gold plus" tickets given away by a guy in the group I went with a few years back who can't go due to sudden illness requiring surgery.

I feel very humbled as I haven't seen him since the last trip.

I'm now not going as the airline refused to change the names on the booking. They were happy to cancel the original booking and sell the seat back to me at £725! 

When the flight was booked my friend paid £180.

Oh well :cry:

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I'm now not going as the airline refused to change the names on the booking. They were happy to cancel the original booking and sell the seat back to me at £725! 

When the flight was booked my friend paid £180.

Oh well :cry:

I thought you could usually change the name for an admin fee?

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

I thought you could usually change the name for an admin fee?

Me too, but they said the airline policy was not to change names under any circumstances. They'd have to cancel the booking and re-sell the seat.

The airline is Whizzair. 

And it's the GP weekend so tickets have been bought well in advance and they can now charge a premium. The aircraft was fully booked until my friend had to pull out, so that left one seat. Someone will pay the asking price I've no doubt.

I can't afford it.

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Me too, but they said the airline policy was not to change names under any circumstances. They'd have to cancel the booking and re-sell the seat.

The airline is Whizzair. 

And it's the GP weekend so tickets have been bought well in advance and they can now charge a premium. The aircraft was fully booked until my friend had to pull out, so that left one seat. Someone will pay the asking price I've no doubt.

I can't afford it.

A very quick Google shows that you should be able to change the name up to 3 hours before the flight for EUR50, and you can do it online, you need to log in with the account details of the person who bought it

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-and-services/booking-information/changing-your-reservation

image.thumb.png.9d02356d5b3b44c0e40c83d23a7543b6.png