Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

A lot of my kids' friends have jetted off to a variety of Mediterranean destinations, and I'd usually be quite envious.

Having just looked at the forecasts, the vast majority are going to be at least 37 degrees for the next few days so for once the green eyed monster is being kept well and truly at bay, because I'm very much in the f*** that camp

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

A lot of my kids' friends have jetted off to a variety of Mediterranean destinations, and I'd usually be quite envious.

Having just looked at the forecasts, the vast majority are going to be at least 37 degrees for the next few days so for once the green eyed monster is being kept well and truly at bay, because I'm very much in the f*** that camp

Yes it's definitely on the warm side out here lol My weather app says it's currently 29 degrees but feels like 39 and it's gone 7pm, and like you say, it's only going to get warmer over the next couple of days, Wednesday is the peak I think. Our digital thermometer thingy was reading 49 degrees earlier :unsure:

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

19°C in North Cornwall and it's just about lovely.

Just thinking about mid 30's would make my bo11ox sweat!!!🤣🤣

Guest Kopfkino
6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Going Bremen on Thursday, then onto Hamburg by the weekend. I've never been to Germany before so looking forward to that aspect.

Guessing there is lots of great beer out there? But the history of Bremen itself will be interesting to see.

Went to Hamburg a couple of weeks back just to go miniatur wunderland which was an absolute belter - can’t think of many other ‘tourist attractions’ that I’ve enjoyed so much.

No real idea about the rest of the city as it was essentially fly in fly out job but defo go there if it’s not already on the list

Had a couple already and a few more coming up:

- Lanzarote

- Benidorm (say I’ll never go back every time, only for some other fool to get married and have a stag do there each year).

- Miami and Las Vegas in Sept

- Belamadina (sp?) in Sept

- Tenerife in Nov with the Mrs

- Tenerife in Dec for a 30th

Without sounding ungrateful, I’ve got to the point where going on holiday just seems a chore, I don’t really look forward to it like I used to. Am I just becoming miserable with age? lol

4 hours ago, Raj said:

19°C in North Cornwall and it's just about lovely.

Just thinking about mid 30's would make my bo11ox sweat!!!🤣🤣

Lol.  Anything above 20 does that.

We have been getting English weather over here with feckin rain. I take 2 weeks off work to visit beaches across ontario and it's forecasted to feckin rain most of the 2 weeks when it usually doesn't in july. Ffs.

Trying to avoid the weekend masses as it gets too busy but looks like weekends might be the dry days.  Change of plans. Stay home and hope i dont get swass in the 30's we are getting next week.

9 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Had a couple already and a few more coming up:

- Lanzarote

- Benidorm (say I’ll never go back every time, only for some other fool to get married and have a stag do there each year).

- Miami and Las Vegas in Sept

- Belamadina (sp?) in Sept

- Tenerife in Nov with the Mrs

- Tenerife in Dec for a 30th

Without sounding ungrateful, I’ve got to the point where going on holiday just seems a chore, I don’t really look forward to it like I used to. Am I just becoming miserable with age? lol

It's the human condition 

Too much of anything doesn't have the same effect as it used too. 

10 hours ago, Harry96 said:

Anyone been Bulgaria? Going in 3 weeks any recommendations for food, bars things to do would be much appreciated 

Lived there for six years and in the process of moving back. 

Sofia is a great city if a little run down in places. There are some nice parts of the coast and some terrible parts. The mountain areas are magical. 

Happy to send recommendations for specific places.

Edited by bovril

16 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

We are on the coast near Murcia at the moment, last few days have been hot but manageable, today is on a different level. No breeze, no clouds, we’ve been for our walk, some breakfast and a coffee and will now retire to the pool and the shade until it’s safe to venture out later lol With some Sheff Wed supporting family, their playing down the road tonight against a local Spanish team, at 10 euros a ticket it’ll do for my football fix.

We live in the south of Spain ( Murcia ) and it’s very warm and at times unbearable in mid July to mid August. We are on the coast so a touch cooler but inland a bit scorching. We live here permanently because the other 10 months climate is amazing. Trips coming up to Uk ( family) in October, Valencian Moto GP in November, then Australia and Vietnam in March ( new grandkid due in Oz )

Enjoy your summers and holidays all !

22 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Going Bremen on Thursday, then onto Hamburg by the weekend. I've never been to Germany before so looking forward to that aspect.

Guessing there is lots of great beer out there? But the history of Bremen itself will be interesting to see.

15 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Went to Hamburg a couple of weeks back just to go miniatur wunderland which was an absolute belter - can’t think of many other ‘tourist attractions’ that I’ve enjoyed so much.

No real idea about the rest of the city as it was essentially fly in fly out job but defo go there if it’s not already on the list

Went for a few days, wunderland is a definitely worth a visit. Also, visited a small but interesting motor museum and a boat trip on the city lake. Can't comment on that as I was asleep for the whole trip.

We did the HoHO but it didn't have an English commentary and I recall getting a menu in English was a challenge.

Tried to fly back from a lovely 3-country trip (North Italy, Switzerland, day in Germany) last week but Easyjet cancelled our flight 90 mins after it was due to take off. 

Airport staff left on their own and told to just tell us to go on the website. No customer service available at all, as they all knock off at 10pm. Closest flight was a 3 hour train ride away.

Of course, they've refused to reimburse us for the hotel overnight and trains. We'll put in a complaint. Anyone got any advice? We put it all on credit card and had insurance as well. 

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Tried to fly back from a lovely 3-country trip (North Italy, Switzerland, day in Germany) last week but Easyjet cancelled our flight 90 mins after it was due to take off. 

Airport staff left on their own and told to just tell us to go on the website. No customer service available at all, as they all knock off at 10pm. Closest flight was a 3 hour train ride away.

Of course, they've refused to reimburse us for the hotel overnight and trains. We'll put in a complaint. Anyone got any advice? We put it all on credit card and had insurance as well. 

If your flight is cancelled, they should be sorting out your accommodation and food. The last time we had one was a Ryanair flight, Stanstead to Belfast. Cancelled before we arrived at the airport and full credit to Ryanair, they had the hotel arranged, food vouchers and the option for the next day's flight or just a refund.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/

• Like 1

On 21/06/2023 at 07:54, fox_up_north said:

I slightly cheated as my family lived there but Belgium, particularly the southern French part, is a bit of a faff and not the friendliest. 

I think you'd probably want to get a bus into Charleroi and then one to Brussels. Also brush up on your French and be prepared for stern faces. 

Just to reply on this. Got back yesterday and must say the how people came across wasn't bad at all 😀 we did try with the basic phrases we remembered from school though haha.

We went expecting a few awkward bits with our baby etc but was generally fine.

On 17/07/2023 at 22:46, Harry96 said:

Anyone been Bulgaria? Going in 3 weeks any recommendations for food, bars things to do would be much appreciated 

I went to Sunny beach about 10 years ago so I'm guessing a lot has changed since then. The cheapest place for beer I've ever been, I think the cheapest being the equivalent to 25p a pint. From what I remember of the area there wasn't much to do other than drink lol

• Haha 1

Flying out to Lake Garda on Saturday.

Hotel reviews are excellent other than a long walk downhill to the lake and an even longer one uphill back to the hotel.

Sounds like we'll be using the shuttle bus service a lot :cool:.

Any recommendations for town of Garda itself?

On 18/07/2023 at 09:43, bovril said:

Lived there for six years and in the process of moving back. 

Sofia is a great city if a little run down in places. There are some nice parts of the coast and some terrible parts. The mountain areas are magical. 

Happy to send recommendations for specific places.

Thanks mate so only going to sunny beach 

2 minutes ago, Harry96 said:

Thanks mate so only going to sunny beach 

Don't accept any fruit from the Romany gypsies. One of my friends did and this lady followed him around all day lol

Have a great time though, their lager (*kamenitza) is pretty decent and there's plenty of nightlife 

• Thanks 1

Climbed Snowdon today, with our ten-year-old. Hiked the "easier" Llanberis Path: 4.5 miles each way. Can't say that, particularly for someone who has never climbed or hiked before, there was much about it that was easy. 

Ridiculously proud of my lad. A few times on the way up (and once on the way down) I thought he might be close to giving up, but he powered through.

Another note: the amount of people setting off as we were on our way down, who just looked completely unprepared for what they'd signed up for, was ridiculous. Kids asking to be carried by their parents within the first mile, people wandering up in a pair of crocs.