Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Maybe not quite the thread for it, but any recommendations for a quick UK break?

Just a couple of days, relaxing, nice food and plenty to do during the day if we want to.

I'm usually all over the country with work and see some beautiful places, but they seem to merge in to one, as I don't get time to spend anywhere.

Open to city, country and coastal.

Just now, Wymsey said:

Am looking forward to Iceland in early-September.

@Icelandicfox etc., any recommendations for visits?

Have only booked the Blue Lagoon so far.

Apparently alcohol over there is quite expensive.

If you drive then I would 100% recommend renting a car so you have the freedom to do what you want - the golden circle tour is good but I think we enjoyed it so much because we didn’t have to keep getting back on a coach and waiting for everyone etc. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Am looking forward to Iceland in early-September.

@Icelandicfox etc., any recommendations for visits?

Have only booked the Blue Lagoon so far.

Apparently alcohol over there is quite expensive.

Everything is expensive, but alcohol definitely is. Beautiful country though. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Maybe not quite the thread for it, but any recommendations for a quick UK break?

Just a couple of days, relaxing, nice food and plenty to do during the day if we want to.

I'm usually all over the country with work and see some beautiful places, but they seem to merge in to one, as I don't get time to spend anywhere.

If you want all three I highly recommend Tynemouth. Near Newcastle but beautiful beaches and a lovely town/village centre 

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

The New Forest? Stunning part of the country, loads of lovely country pubs and close to the beautiful south coast beaches and Southampton and Portsmouth.

Plenty to do down there too, Beaulieu is a great day out, as is the historical dockyard in Portsmouth, and Christchurch is lovely for hiring a boat on the river. We usually get the ferry across to the Isle of Wight for a day, it's like going back in time!

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

St Ives in Cornwall is my favourite place in the UK. Lovely beaches and nice little pubs. The Minnack theatre is a beautiful place to visit as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

The New Forest? Stunning part of the country, loads of lovely country pubs and close to the beautiful south coast beaches and Southampton and Portsmouth.

Plenty to do down there too, Beaulieu is a great day out, as is the historical dockyard in Portsmouth, and Christchurch is lovely for hiring a boat on the river. We usually get the ferry across to the Isle of Wight for a day, it's like going back in time!

Good suggestion but in my experience, post covid it’s eye watering expensive. Lymington is beautiful 

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Portsmouth is a great city break.

My favourite for a long weekend is York, lots of history, great food and everything in walking distance too. P.s. don't get the better half to wear heels it's a disaster waiting to happen.

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Arrived in Rhodes last night. Went to get the coach transfer and gave the name of our hotel.

The rep says “Ooo the Plaza, you are lucky”

I said “Cool, is it a nice hotel then?”

She said “yeah, and luckily for you it’s not on fire”

I wouldn't unpack very much, isn't Rhodes currently being evacuated? Hope you're in a safe location. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I wouldn't unpack very much, isn't Rhodes currently being evacuated? Hope you're in a safe location. 

Yeah some of the hotels in the middle/south of the island are being evacuated. Luckily we’re in the north so providing the wind doesn’t blow this way hopefully we’ll be ok :fc:

• Like 1

I've been to Cornwall and I didn't really understand all the hype about it. It's nice, but no nicer than plenty of other parts of the UK, and the traffic is insane.

When you're sitting in the long queues you can't see anything even in a 4x4, the roadside hedges are so high lolPractically no view until you actually arrive, which takes about 3 times as long as it would anywhere else, and wherever you go you struggle to park and end up with crowds of people. 

Plenty of lovelier places in the UK with fewer people, and less expensive too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Cotswolds is very nice, good food and relaxing. Also, Shropshire is lovely, Shrewsbury and Ludlow have great restaurants. We had a few weekends away in a lovely cottage over that way. Am damned if I can remember where. I'm scouring Google, as it's annoying me now. 

Edited by FoyleFox

19 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I've been to Cornwall and I didn't really understand all the hype about it. It's nice, but no nicer than plenty of other parts of the UK, and the traffic is insane.

When you're sitting in the long queues you can't see anything even in a 4x4, the roadside hedges are so high lolPractically no view until you actually arrive, which takes about 3 times as long as it would anywhere else, and wherever you go you struggle to park and end up with crowds of people. 

Plenty of lovelier places in the UK with fewer people, and less expensive too.

I think you've failed your audition for the Cornwall Tourist Board 😂

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Lake District. I went to Keswick last year and it was absolutely fantastic. 

19 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Loads of places. Cotswolds, New Forest, Norfolk, Peak District, Lake District etc.

City wise, Edinburgh is great.

Edited by Costock_Fox