Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 25/07/2023 at 21:26, Paninistickers said:

Now summer hols is done, I'm looking towards some winter sun 

Anyone done the Gambia? 

Fancied something a bit random

Edit; answering my own post... just watched a couple of YouTube videos. It looks total shite. Full of old white people in substandard hotels.  Off the list! 

Worked with a few Gambian student and they were all very nice and spoke highly of the coastline and countryside. Didn't say anything about the old white guys obviously.

Coastal west Africa appeals to me very much. 

On 25/07/2023 at 21:26, Paninistickers said:

Now summer hols is done, I'm looking towards some winter sun 

Anyone done the Gambia? 

Fancied something a bit random

Edit; answering my own post... just watched a couple of YouTube videos. It looks total shite. Full of old white people in substandard hotels.  Off the list! 

Are you an old women in the market for a husband who definitely loves you and isn't just angling for a visa?

Edited by Stadt

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Worked with a few Gambian student and they were all very nice and spoke highly of the coastline and countryside. Didn't say anything about the old white guys obviously.

Coastal west Africa appeals to me very much. 

Coastal West and East Africa should be, in theory, beach perfection. That was my thinking. West being a bit nearer and no time difference. 

However, the videos I saw had that north European late middle aged paedo vibe, albeit couples or women as opposed to single men. Plus the awful play acting 'tribal dance' from.locals playing up for the rich whites. 

I'll have to do these places 'properly' as a traveller if I wanted to go - as opposed to a package trip 

5 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

going to Barcelona next week, any must do's and tips? first time for me 

Nou Camp, Las Ramblas, Gaudi's Cathedral. The Olympic Park and cable car down. The HoHo bus is great for covering the essentials. It's a lovely historic city to just explore and people watch too. Don't stop to eat on Las Ramblas, its twice the price of everywhere else. 

32 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Nou Camp, Las Ramblas, Gaudi's Cathedral. The Olympic Park and cable car down. The HoHo bus is great for covering the essentials. It's a lovely historic city to just explore and people watch too. Don't stop to eat on Las Ramblas, its twice the price of everywhere else. 

WATCH: End of an era! Camp Nou demolition gathers pace as cranes tear down  Barcelona's famed stadium | Goal.com UK

I'd give that one a miss for now: 

"The Spanish champions are pushing ahead with speed as part of their bold redevelopment plans, with cranes seen tearing down the stands' structures, just six weeks after their final match. 

Barcelona's £1.25billion refurbishment, which has had 250 workers on site in recent weeks with more expected soon, is ongoing with the hope it is ready to be opened in full for the 2025-26 season".

Las Ramblas is expensive but an experience in itself. Some great little Spanish Tapas bars off the main Las Ramblas, though. If you have time, explore the areas off Las Ramblas. There's a good traditional market nearby

My advice would be buy an open bus tour where you can get off at the places that are of interest to you.

With the exception of The Nou Camp, I agree with all of @FoyleFoxrecommendations plus any of Gaudi's buildings. You'll spot them easily. All the one's we visited when we went were pretty amazing:

Discover and enjoy the works of Antoni Gaudí in Barcelona.

Beware of pickpockets, they're rife in the tourist areas.

Edited by Parafox

7 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

Just off the back of a weeks cruise and docked at dubrovnik  today where we are staying for a week. Tad expensive in the hotel and nearby  bars. €6-8 a pint and small fries are €5. Going to the old town Dubrovnik tomorrow anyone been?

Was there in May. Stunning place but absolutely heaving with tourists. It's pricey to do a walk of the walls etc and food and drink isn't exactly cheap either.

We stayed in Cavtat which is a 30 minute boat journey from Dubrovnik. Not an awful lot to do there but it's a beautiful place.

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

On 26/07/2023 at 14:13, Tommy G said:

Just got back from Orlando, what a trip. Feel insolvent though!

Also , i was driving this big gas guzzling station wagon on international drive when i was there. I saw a young kid in the new shirt at a crossing with his parents. I HAD to slow down , wind my window down and yell ' Blooooo armeh ' at him. Made my day. 

Spent last week in South and North Devon.   Got reasonably lucky with the weather and North are great for kids.   However the drive took two hours from the south to north!  I cannot believe how big the county is!

On 27/07/2023 at 21:00, stretch1965 said:

Just off the back of a weeks cruise and docked at dubrovnik  today where we are staying for a week. Tad expensive in the hotel and nearby  bars. €6-8 a pint and small fries are €5. Going to the old town Dubrovnik tomorrow anyone been?

That’s mad, we went in 2015 and pretty sure we were paying around a £1 a pint, old town was more pricey but we loved that holiday for the quality of food and drink at such little cost. Amazes me how quickly things change.

Question for anyone who has been to Gibraltar, is it worth paying the fee for the nature reserve and all the things to see within it? Or is there enough to keep us occupied for a day without it? I've obviously got too used to paying local prices for things, so 120GBP for 3 of us seems a bit steep for a few hours, but if it's worth it, we'll pay it.

Obviously I will be going to M&S and Morrisons while we're there to get my UK shopping fix :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Question for anyone who has been to Gibraltar, is it worth paying the fee for the nature reserve and all the things to see within it? Or is there enough to keep us occupied for a day without it? I've obviously got too used to paying local prices for things, so 120GBP for 3 of us seems a bit steep for a few hours, but if it's worth it, we'll pay it.

Obviously I will be going to M&S and Morrisons while we're there to get my UK shopping fix :rolleyes:

Went last year - got the cable car up to the reserve where the monkeys are, didn’t pay for anything extra - was an experience on the cable car tbh, I’m not a massive fan of heights so I shit a brick up and down! Good experience. We were only there for 3 days, added it onto a southern Spain trip. 

13 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Went last year - got the cable car up to the reserve where the monkeys are, didn’t pay for anything extra - was an experience on the cable car tbh, I’m not a massive fan of heights so I shit a brick up and down! Good experience. We were only there for 3 days, added it onto a southern Spain trip. 

Thanks, that's helpful. We're going to do the cable car too, and I feel the same way about it! 

On 27/07/2023 at 12:34, JonnyBoy said:

going to Barcelona next week, any must do's and tips? first time for me 

Adding what the boys have already stated goto the beach/marina area of the weathers decent.

We were lucky we saw Barca V Villareal when we went last October  but as Foyle said that's out of the question for you.

It's a great city and easy to get about on the metro.

On 27/07/2023 at 18:43, Parafox said:

WATCH: End of an era! Camp Nou demolition gathers pace as cranes tear down  Barcelona's famed stadium | Goal.com UK

I'd give that one a miss for now: 

"The Spanish champions are pushing ahead with speed as part of their bold redevelopment plans, with cranes seen tearing down the stands' structures, just six weeks after their final match. 

Barcelona's £1.25billion refurbishment, which has had 250 workers on site in recent weeks with more expected soon, is ongoing with the hope it is ready to be opened in full for the 2025-26 season".

Las Ramblas is expensive but an experience in itself. Some great little Spanish Tapas bars off the main Las Ramblas, though. If you have time, explore the areas off Las Ramblas. There's a good traditional market nearby

My advice would be buy an open bus tour where you can get off at the places that are of interest to you.

With the exception of The Nou Camp, I agree with all of @FoyleFoxrecommendations plus any of Gaudi's buildings. You'll spot them easily. All the one's we visited when we went were pretty amazing:

Discover and enjoy the works of Antoni Gaudí in Barcelona.

Beware of pickpockets, they're rife in the tourist areas.

Also take a trip to Montjuic for the views, and a trip around the old Olympic park. The fountains are also worth a visit - particularly during the night-time lights shows.